SPWaW 2016 - Now Available

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Major_Mess

SPWaW 2016 - Now Available

Post by Major_Mess »

A Christmas Gift from The Depot to you.

On top of all the goodies bundled with the previous version (ENH-FR V1.1) SPWaW 2016 includes all of the below.

45 new or revised Encyclopedia entries
43 new .lbm Unit pictures
49 revised sound files – we found that some of the original and/or ENH FR sounds were better than what was issued with V1.1.

An adjusted mech.exe file branded with SPWaW 2016.

And last but not least, the real reason for the upgrade.
Over the last few months a team at The Depot started to go through all the OOB’s to fix the few glaring errors that still populated the game. As work progressed more folks came onboard, people came out of the woodwork. Interest grew, the scope got bigger as more hands reached out to help.
Much discussion ensued; the passion for this fine game was evident from the start. The collaboration from all parties was superb.

I’d like to thank JustaToy for all that he did, his contribution was absolutely essential to this project.
DROregon’s assistance was huge, and JEB Davis’s encouragement kept it all moving forward. Lastly I gotta give Alby as much acknowledgement as possible. The dude drove this project waaaaay past what I had ever hoped to achieve.

Thanks Guys

Truly I felt part of what the Internet promised us so long ago. An arena for like-minded souls from around the world to create something wonderful.

The end result was that every OOB in the game was scrutinized.
Over 850 data points that have been adjusted in this update. Anything and everything was looked at, then the necessary changes were implemented to ensure that the Enhanced-Final Release standards were being used throughout the game.
I think we have right here the most complete set of OOB’s ever.

All Campaign fixes, and newly updated Scenarios have also been included in the Download.

You can get to the Download via the Link in my sig.

Enjoy
Cheers to y'all

Major Mess
Click below. You know you want to!!

sami heimola

RE: SPWaW 2016 - Now Available

Post by sami heimola »

Wow thanks a lot Major & all mentioned guys[:)][&o]
Happy Christmas & coming New Year too!

PS. What comes to "an adjusted mech.exe", has anyone got artillery bug possible fixed?
Alby

Post by Alby »

The arty bug just seems to depend on what type of processor your PC has, for some people the arty fix works
for others it doesn't
[:(]

sanderz

Post by sanderz »

never played any version of this but it looks really interesting - am i correct in thinking that SPWaW 2016 is a mod for sharpnal games winSPWW2 @ $39.95??

thanks
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: sanderz

am i correct in thinking that SPWaW 2016 is a mod for sharpnal games winSPWW2 @ $39.95??
No you're not. SPWAW 2016 is modified SPWAW. This game, but without Mega Campaigns.

Major difference between WinSPWW2 and SPWAW is WinSPWW2 is based on Steel Panthers 2 source code and SPWAW is based on Steel Panthers 3 source code. So in theory SPWAW is more advanced, but Matrix Games considers it ready and hasn't released official patch for many years. SPWAW 2016 is unofficial fan made update. WinSPWW2 is still in official development and gets patches.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

thanks for clarifying that

is there much difference in the gameplay and/or content of the 2 versions?
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

sanderz

Without dirting on the competition too much ......

Remember the Simpsons Episode (found it "Krusty gets Kancelled" 1993) where Gabbo the puppet makes an appearance and Krusty's show gets cancelled.
Prior to that Krusty always had quality "Itchy and Scratchy" cartoons on his show ..... that's SPWaW.
Then with budget cuts he replaced I & S with some Eastern Euro crap - remember when he first watched it, he goes "what in the hell?????" ...... that's the Camo version.

Both are cartoons with two characters.

Camo is geared more to the Grognard nerds, SPWaW is more immersive IMHO.

MY OPINION ONLY. [:'(]

HTH

Major Mess

sanderz

Post by sanderz »

thanks [:D]
sami heimola

Post by sami heimola »

Hmm is it just me but I think that SPWAW 2016's picklists by AI is bit better than in "original" SPWAW[;)]... I see more recon and sniper units in new version than in original imo.
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

ORIGINAL: sami heimola

Hmm is it just me but I think that SPWAW 2016's picklists by AI is bit better than in "original" SPWAW[;)]... I see more recon and sniper units in new version than in original imo.

I can take No credit for that, although I'd like to. [:)]

I'd like to think that maybe the Game is now in a happier place, and is now responding accordingly. [8|]

Hahahaha
I'm glad that you're enjoying it.

cheers

MM

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Well, I finally switched over to SPWAW 2016, but I did customize a couple of the OOBs to better fit my core forces in the long WWII campaign. I didn't change any of the stats, but I did alter the layouts of a few formations. Now, I need to decide who to use first: I may startup a German campaign at long last, beginning in Sept 1939. I do use J.E.B.'s alternate campaign settings, which I believe are much more realistic than the standard settings. I am glad I kept my custom music files, but I replaced my old weapons sounds with the new ones. Amongst the music files are a 1942 recording of the USMC Hymn and a copy of the WWII German National Anthem.
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

... ... I do use J.E.B.'s alternate campaign settings, which I believe are much more realistic than the standard settings.

Are you referring to the Low Carnage settings that JEB has given us, or is he hiding something new and exciting from me?
I must know!
... but I replaced my old weapons sounds with the new ones...

What are these weapons sounds files that you speak of?
Would they be of any interest to others that enjoy this game?
Are they better?
How many do you have?
Will you share?

Let's talk

Major Mess

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Major Mess, yes, I am referring to the Low Carnage settings. These should be standardized for game play. As for the weapons sounds, these are included in Spwaw 2016.
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

... As for the weapons sounds, these are included in Spwaw 2016.

Ahhhh, got it. I misunderstood you.

cheers

MM

Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: sami heimola

we worked on AI picklists several versions back
[;)]

mudy

Post by mudy »

Great game, nice to play the better version.

The artillery click bug become the last problem for this classic game to last forever.
sami heimola

Post by sami heimola »

Hmm I wonder what is "weapon carrier"'s task (USA OOB) in game[&:]... They are weaponless, so are they meant only to be as "cannon fodder"? Anybody knows? Alby?
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

They are to hump freight, sorta like a foot powered cart.

I have no idea why they were included in the game.

MM

Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Major Mess

They are to hump freight, sorta like a foot powered cart.

I have no idea why they were included in the game.

MM

silly folk,[:D]
these are 'special forces' weapons carriers, attached to mountain squads and what not to pack their mortars, ammo crates, and such while infiltrating
you will find these in the Mountain Company formations, altho they may accidentally appear in other formations (SPWAW unit class problem) they IIRC, cannot be purchased seperately
we actually went thru a lot adding these units to the game
[:(]

sami heimola

Post by sami heimola »

Ok thanks about explanation Alby[:)]. Well if nobody can fix that unit class problem, could you (or whoever did oobs) just remove weapon carriers (if next version ever comes)? No big deal but they are just useless (what comes to firepower)[;)]...

edit:I mean they are useless in SPWAW but not in reality[:'(]

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”