First scenario beyond tutorial, and a few observations

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

JWNoctis

First scenario beyond tutorial, and a few observations

Post by JWNoctis »

Hello there!

So, I've just finished my first actual scenario after replaying the tutorial on both sides several times, and scored a success...As I've found out, "A Time To Dance" is probably the second simplest scenario after tutorial out there and probably much easier for the Red side than the tutorial, with delayed and piecemeal deployment and severe ECM penalty on NATO side.

Still, things felt a bit odd at places. Here are a few observations:

First, both of my armored spearheads managed to cross the river and rolled right into all but one of the VP locations on the map overrunning all defenses...most of them, actually. The third and last tank company on the northern spearhead was delayed enroute by a countermanded order and ended up 3km behind the spearhead, then ran right over an armored recon section to the last cavalry scout squad. Said squad, in the open and within the same tile, then effectively pinned the whole company of T-80U's in place until it retreated over a slope, but not without draining the company of all ammunition somehow and forcing it into resupplying first - This is the odd thing, even though this would also make an excellent scene in a movie. A counterattack by two platoons of M1A1s then drove the ammo-deprived tank company back to the bridgehead, swung around, and managed to recapture a VP location briefly before they were contained.

Second, never send a single Red company to do anything when you could have sent two or three, especially when resistances are expected. A single company of T-80U is no match against two platoons of M1A1 even within 1000m, especially not when they've already expended about half their ammo in earlier engagements against a NATO IFV platoon overwatching the crossing. The odd thing is, they continued their assault into NATO positions despite presumably out of ammo and mostly not firing their weapons while they evaporated.

Third, Hold deployments can be counterproductive. One of the other companies on the northern spearhead was decimated and driven into the open by a M1A1 platoon in deliberate move deployment a neighboring light urban tile while holding in a light urban tile next to the VP to the last vehicle, and the last vehicle then proceeded to survive in the open for more than two cycles right to the end of the scenario.

Fourth, the commander of NATO forces was noted as KIA after the scenario ended, even though the highest NATO HQ was intact without losses. None of the rest are, though - Wonder which HQ were they actually assigned to.

And last...I'm glad this war never happened. With this kind of expenditure in human life and material, both side would have lost, whether NBC's are involved or not.

Oddities aside, this is refreshing...Chillingly so.

Attached is a screenshot of final position of most units.
Attachments
attd1.jpg
attd1.jpg (495.14 KiB) Viewed 114 times
Mad Russian

RE: First scenario beyond tutorial, and a few observations

Post by Mad Russian »

First, did you check the scenario to see that you are playing from the intended side?

Each scenario has a listing in the main briefing that tells which side it should be played from.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
JWNoctis

Post by JWNoctis »

Yep, the scenario(WS_AS A Time To Dance) was intended to be played from Soviet side, according to scenario description.

Now I've also seen another version of the same scenario intended to be played from NATO side. I think that would be the next scenario I try.

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The version played from the NATO side will give you gray hair.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

... That and teenage kids. At least in my case. [X(]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
JWNoctis

Post by JWNoctis »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

The version played from the NATO side will give you gray hair.

Good Hunting.

MR

Not just grey hair - Did worse than the AI did in terms of tanks killed. Two battalions of T-80U! Those tube-launched ATGM's will get you. It gave me an ATGM-shaped hole in my heart.

Now I'm really glad this war never happened. The Reds would have won - for a short while before everyone dies in nuclear fire.
ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

... That and teenage kids. At least in my case. [X(]
Sounds like a story behind!

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”