Anyone Watching 'The Expanse' on Sci Fi Channel?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Max 86

Anyone Watching 'The Expanse' on Sci Fi Channel?

Post by Max 86 »

I'm not one to hype TV shows as most all of it is horrible but must say I am pleasantly surprised by the Sci Fi's The Expanse show on Tuesday nights.

Basic Synopsis: 23rd century, solar system explored and colonized and a cold war exists between Mars and Earth. The prize being the Ceres colony on the asteroid belt. The belt is being mined and is the major source for raw materials for both planets. The main story line is about a missing heiress Julie Mao who has hooked up with some revolutionary group. Their is a shady detective (think young Mickey Rourke) on Ceres who has been paid to find her as a side job and an ice catcher ship (water source) way out side the normal travel lanes in the middle of no where. The Detective traces her to boarding a ship, the Scopulus (sp?). The ice catcher ship receives a distress signal in the middle of nowhere from the same ship...the detective and the ice catcher ship are not aware of each other, their story lines are independent of one another.

Episode 4 was one of the best Sci-Fi episodes I've seen on TV. Very detailed, they even include space debris sailing past peoples heads. Ship combat includes missiles, torpedoes, rail guns and assault pods with boarding parties. Made me want to fire up Distant Worlds: Universe!

Production values are better than average, overall a decent show that's not the same ol' space opera like ST, BSG and SW...not that I don't love those too! Check it out.

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse
No problem Chief!
sPzAbt653

RE: Anyone Watching 'The Expanse' on Sci Fi Channel?

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I meant to check it out but I keep forgetting and watch that stupid Oak Island show instead. Thanks for the recommendation and brief review, I will try harder to remember next week.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
radic202

Post by radic202 »

I haven't watched any of it yet but I may some time soon. Is it anywhere in the same "epicness" of "Babylon 5 or even "Galactica" when it comes to human interaction and stuff on the political side?
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
hadberz

Post by hadberz »

Yep, good show. Hope it lasts seems like every show I like on Sci fi gets canx.
AMD 5800X 8 core 3.8 GHz
Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi (F63d Bios)
32 GB G-Skill DDR4 3200
MSI Gaming X Trio RX 6950 XT 16GB
Dell S2721DGF 2560x1440 165Hz
Dell S2719DGF 2560x1440 144Hz
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe drive
Win 11 Pro
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

I really like it, and I'm pretty picky about my sci-fi.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I've been watching it as well and have to say while I like some aspects more than others overall I've been pleasantly surprised and appreciate the attempt at "hard" sci-fi. I hope they give it more than one season to grow.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

For a mining world Ceres sure has a lot of people walking about not working. They have entirely too much idle time that will not help but lead to social unrest. More like Brown levels on Babylon 5.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

Thanks for the heads up - will try it out -assuming the Sci fi Channel in this part of the world ever gets round to showing it.

I think I may have read the original novel some time ago.

Return to “General Discussion”