any mods for the "take command" option?

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

polestar

any mods for the "take command" option?

Post by polestar »

Are there any mods for the "take command" option?

Basically, I'd like to be able to select this option for all units within the entire army at once, rather than individually select for each unit/commander.

I find it rather frustrating that commanders will move, often by large distances, once I have established general lines and formations. I’d like them to stay in place and keep the large lines I have established on the map.

Also, when the “take command” option is selected for individual commanders, units don’t seem to form squares on their own when attacked by cavalry. I’d like them to take these basic defensive steps, but not wander across large portions of the map on their own.

Any solutions for this?

Thanks
Mr Digby

RE: any mods for the "take command" option?

Post by Mr Digby »

Hi.

I think Reb Bugler's Grog toolbar has a button for TCing all subordinate officers, but I think you must do this at division level. If you're commanding a corps, that's only a few clicks and not that many more for a whole army.

If you TC a brigade commander, his subordinate battalions operate under the "no orders" stance and this affects how quickly they form squares. The AI works best if you allow it some autonomy. If you TC division commanders and give them a formation you may find this works better that TCing every brigade commander as well.

SoW is a unique game and can't easily be played like other RTS games such as Total War. This is because first you have a proper military chain of command and a huge number of units instead of just a few and because the AI is designed to look out for itself to a large extent.

I personally don't have any interest in corps or army command because of this and always play the game commanding a division. Its at this level that I think the game works best.
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

I can see simply from my first few experiences with the game and the KS Mod that handling the whole army with Take Command would be impossible. I guess it would be possible to launch the whole battle and then Take Command of a Division here, then switch off TC to Take Command of a Division in another sector thus bouncing back and forth.

Or might the units become totally disorganized by the occasional "interference" of me Taking Command of a Division here and there?
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
polestar

Post by polestar »

Thanks for the kind response!

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”