Patch out for those who are wavering

AGEod goes back to the Napoleonic era and delivers the most detailed and comprehensive strategy game ever created about a time of struggle and conquest that forged modern Europe.
typhoon

RE: Patch out for those who are wavering

Post by typhoon »

Without getting into the negative mindset of knocking other games it is very difficult to defend against those that wish to find fault in the QC of Ageods titles though it is no better or no worst than any other companies they all seem to follow the same basic process. It is noble that people buy the games to support them and of course any wargammer worth his salt would be drawn to the theories behind the games. That said there is nothing in WON that is broken nothing that prevents people who enjoy the theory and offer there support from buying and greatly enjoying this game as it now is. We all need to play it a whole lot more and watch as the support continues the game evolves is that not what this is all about after all we can spend our money and pick fault or spend our money then play and enjoy the product for what it is.
tevans6220

Post by tevans6220 »

I don't think anybody is going out of their way to find fault. What I said about their QA is actually true. The fouled up events and high casualty rates should have been obvious within the first 15 turns of the game and found in testing. The fact that it wasn't or that it wasn't fixed before release leads to the conclusion that they have poor QA. I'm not sure how you can say that WON has nothing broken. The things I found are right in the beginning of the game. As long as the game is, I doubt very seriously if anyone has finished a complete campaign yet. So nobody really knows what other problems there will be with events or other things further into the game. This isn't anything new either. This has happened with practically every Ageod release. So there's got to be a failure or flaw in their QA process.
typhoon

Post by typhoon »

I do not think that either of us will alter their position on this though we might try very hard :-). For me fine tuning combat figures and ensuring all events trigger is something about adjusting algorithms and the like it should not detract from the game nor should it be that because such tuning is needed the QC failed. Those algorithms or lines of code be complicated beasts at a guess difficult and unwieldy. Wargammers are by nature a difficult bunch (ourselves included) and each forum board has arguments about combat figures losses missing types of tank the speed of aircraft missiles and the like all not found in testing. I'm glad they got the game out to us in time for Christmas and am trying on these forums to move the talk away from broken or poor anything.I look to the positive in WON and see that the game shines as it is and will only shine brighter as time and it's growth through good support continues.
TJD

Post by TJD »

I think these games are inherently difficult to beta-test because most testers can't parse the scripting language, and many of AGEOD's errors are found there. Generally, beta testers just kick the tires and have a look-around and judge whether things seem to be more or less WAD. And that's fine, as far as it goes. Which is not nearly far enough for games as complex as these. I don't know how to fix that other than hire a demon like vicberg to comb through it all. Things seem to have come to a head with WON, though. There's a lot of irritation now and I don't think fanboy sentiments can answer it.
typhoon

Post by typhoon »

Any dialogue about this game is good dialogue if it takes becoming a fanboy to get people to talk about it and play it then fanboy it is. If people are willing to play the game they can make their own judgements. The negative will get fixed and the good is already there for everybody to see who is not put off by the negative feedback.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: TJD

I think these games are inherently difficult to beta-test because most testers can't parse the scripting language, and many of AGEOD's errors are found there. Generally, beta testers just kick the tires and have a look-around and judge whether things seem to be more or less WAD. And that's fine, as far as it goes. Which is not nearly far enough for games as complex as these. I don't know how to fix that other than hire a demon like vicberg to comb through it all. Things seem to have come to a head with WON, though. There's a lot of irritation now and I don't think fanboy sentiments can answer it.

thats a quite spectacular set of assumptions and opinions being passed off as knowledge ... [;)]
typhoon

Post by typhoon »

There is now a 1.02 Public Beta patch available from the Ageod site. It is a public beta and not yet an official patch so guess that's why the news never made it to the Matrix site. Although it would have been good to see it mentioned in the members area.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I grabbed the 1.02 beta. Thanks for the heads up.

BUT, why no announcements here?? If AEGOD and Slitherine are going to sell Matrix products, they need to support the Matrix forums. It's Matrix Games. Hello?
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

I grabbed the 1.02 beta. Thanks for the heads up.

BUT, why no announcements here?? If AEGOD and Slitherine are going to sell Matrix products, they need to support the Matrix forums. It's Matrix Games. Hello?

Hi

The argument IMHO is reversed: Matrix/Slitherine is selling Ageod products, they need to support Ageod.

Regards
Former AJE team member
typhoon

Post by typhoon »

I'm afraid I feel that it is all one and the same and all three need to support each other bit like the union days or something like that united we stand divided we fall now I wonder where truly that saying comes from
gmsitton

Post by gmsitton »

Link to the patch, please?
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: gmsitton

here
waltero

Post by waltero »

Uh, should I make the purchase or not?

I have made other purchases and they were short lived.
Is this the game to end all games?

"WELL ~ Mrs. LIncoln,
other than that, How was the play?
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: waltero

Uh, should I make the purchase or not?

I have made other purchases and they were short lived.
Is this the game to end all games?

well you are going to get a range of responses - some people have clearly decided the game is appalling etc.

my view is that the original (Napoleon's Campaigns or NCP) took a sensible approach of separating the Napoleonic wars into the various campaigns/coalitions as it is so hard to produce a realistic campaign covering the entire period. So I was a bit unsure that WoN could work but interested to see if AGEOD could pull it off.

I think the core thing has been done exceptionally well. Taking the diplomacy system from Pride of Nations - and adjusting - has given them the tool to reflect coalitions, states dipping in and out of the war with France, states having other interests than fighting with France etc.

Is the game perfect at the moment? No. Its clear that various key events are a bit flawed, a few people are reporting serious problems with crashes (though most including me haven't noticed this).

Will it get better? Yes. As above I think the core design is in place, the rest is learning and adjusting as game experience is acquired.

Is it worth buying now? I'd say yes. Its perfectly playable - I have a vs AI Austrian game up to late 1809 and its fun. I'm having to be very cautious about the French but am imposing Hapsburg rule in the Balkans. At some stage I need to make building (or joining) and anti-French coalition my priority.
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

loki100 - Could you list your system specs and OS?

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
gmsitton

Post by gmsitton »

ORIGINAL: loki100

here

Thank you, kind sir. Sadly, apparently the patch has been removed from that link.

On a positive note, I was able to get the v1011.zip patch. It wasn't working through the updater on the WoN load screen.

Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: loki100

here

Thank you, kind sir. Sadly, apparently the patch has been removed from that link.

On a positive note, I was able to get the v1011.zip patch. It wasn't working through the updater on the WoN load screen.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.p ... n-lt/page3
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
gmsitton

Post by gmsitton »

Thank you. That worked.
waltero

Post by waltero »

Sounds Complicated. Please notify me when a new patch is out...providing I can purchase the game without having to load all the patches (thus far).

"WELL ~ Mrs. LIncoln,
waltero

Post by waltero »

Patches, I don't need no stinkin patches!
"WELL ~ Mrs. LIncoln,

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”