Units in line with skirmishers

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Gribeauval

Units in line with skirmishers

Post by Gribeauval »

I have discovered this :
when I right-click on an hexagon that a unit in line with deployed skirmishers is facing, the unit expands movement points. It is not logic since the unit doesn't move at all and since the unit can't rotate (it is already facing the direction of the hexagon chosen to right-click).

I hope that I'm not making a mistake (like the right-click on the bio of leaders);

The unit must be in line with skirmishers, it can be under assault posture or advance posture.
A unit in line without skirmishers is not affected by such a right-click.

Regards.
Gil R.

RE: Units in line with skirmishers

Post by Gil R. »

That doesn't sound like it should be doing that, but we'll have to see what Eric (= programmer) says when he gets back from a short trip.

Am I right to think that the unit doesn't move when you do that, but just gains MP's?
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Gribeauval

Post by Gribeauval »

The unit doesn't move and loses MP (I remember one unit losing 4 MP for example).
shoelessbivouac

Post by shoelessbivouac »

Hi Gribeauval,

Forgive my own confusion herein, so when you initially observed that, "... the unit expands movement points," this is meant to be the same (as per your follow-up) as "... the unit loses MP" - which you observe to happen when you right click on a stationary unit in skirmish-line formation?

I assume that by "movement points" (MP), you are referring to the information provided on the Unit Under Mouse Menu located on the right side of the screen whenever you hover over a unit?

For example, I am currently viewing my 5th Carolina unit in skrimish-line formation just outside Fort Magruder which shows, "Moves: 14" at the start of the turn - in the opening tutorial scenario.

And, when I R Click on this unit, I see the same "Moves: 14" information.

So, I guess I could still benefit from a bit more of a clarification just to see what you are seeing! Thanks.

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours --R. Bach
Gribeauval

Post by Gribeauval »

Hello Shoeless, I'm really sorry. I'm french. I have made a mistake. I should have written "expend".

By movement points, I'm referring to the information provided on the unit Under Mouse Menu (moves : 14).

Suppose that the 5th Carolina unit is in hex(15,14) and that it is facing hex(15,13). Right-click on hex(15,13) and "Moves : 14" should become "Moves : 10".
Yet, the unit didn't turn since it is already facing hex(15,13).

Regards.
shoelessbivouac

ORIGINAL: Gribeauval

Hello Shoeless, I'm really sorry. I'm french. I have made a mistake. I should have written "expend".

By movement points, I'm referring to the information provided on the unit Under Mouse Menu (moves : 14).

Suppose that the 5th Carolina unit is in hex(15,14) and that it is facing hex(15,13). Right-click on hex(15,13) and "Moves : 14" should become "Moves : 10".
Yet, the unit didn't turn since it is already facing hex(15,13).

Regards.

Assuming you meant hex 115, 114 and 115, 113 respectively (I was unable to locate hex 15,13 on the opening tutorial map), it took me 4 movement turns to position my 5th Carolina - in skirmish-line formation - into hex 115, 114 with a facing due north (facing the adjacent hex 114, 113); and yet I still get "Moves: 14" at my end, whether I hover over the 5th Carolina or R Click on the unit.

It kind of makes me suspect an upgrade installation anomaly or other pc glitch at your end? In any case, your guess is as good as mine.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Do you mean the actual movement points increases or that the range of movement increases? The former should not be happening and would be a sort of bug, however movement paths are calculated based on the current facing of a unit and sometimes wheeling a unit allows new movement possibilities.
Gribeauval

Post by Gribeauval »

No Eric, it's another problem.

It's only an example :
- a unit (in line with skirmishers) is facing north.
- I right-click in an hexagon that is to the north of the unit
- the right-click is used to rotate a unit, but as the unit is facing north and as I'm right-cliking in an hexagon that is to the north of the unit, nothing should happen.
- Here is the problem : it consumes moves (for example, the unit had 20 moves before the right-click, it has 16 moves after the right-click), but the unit has not moved at all.

Regards.
shoelessbivouac

- a unit (in line with skirmishers) is facing north.
- I right-click in an hexagon that is to the north of the unit
- the right-click is used to rotate a unit, but as the unit is facing north and as I'm right-cliking in an hexagon that is to the north of the unit, nothing should happen.
- Here is the problem : it consumes moves (for example, the unit had 20 moves before the right-click, it has 16 moves after the right-click), but the unit has not moved at all.

In reviewing this developing thread from the very top,

I believe the problem Gribeauval continues to experience - as further clarified above - can now be identified.

Example: Williamsburg Starter Scenario

1. The USA 7th Maine infantry regiment begins the game on hex 94,82 in Skirmisher-Line formation - having 19 MP's at the start of its turn.

2. In moving to hex 95, 83 it expends 5 MP's, now having 14 MP's remaining for the turn.

3. Now, if Gribeauval hovers his mouse over hex 96,84 (the hex immediately to the south, hence, front facing), the text reveals it will cost him another 5 MP's to enter that hex.

*** However, if Gribeauval instead opts to execute a Right Click on hex 96, 84 (there being no reason to do this for game purpose ... other than it must have initially been an innocent mistake), the 7th Maine unit immediately loses 4 MP's, while nothing happens other than this: The 7th Maine now has only 10 MP's remaining.

4. Repeat the exercise again with the same unit by now Right Clicking in the hex to its front - hex 97, 85 - and as before nothing happens other than the regiment loses yet another 4 MP's, Now having just 6 MP's remaining without having made any move, formation, or facing change whatsoever.

IOW's, right clicking to a unit's front facing accomplishes nothing other than expending MP's (e.g., at least 4 MP's in clear terrain).

I hope this helps, Gil.

A future update could choose to just ignore (disable) any right click - whether accidental or intentional - in the hex adjacent to a unit's front facing.

Or if not here's a good enough BOB House Rule: DON'T Right Click on the hex immediately to a unit's front - unless one wants to intentionally expend MP's ... maybe, say, as to try and create the illusion of movement to the enemy during a PBEM game? [8D]

Return to “Tech Support”