Noob questions

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

STEF78

Noob questions

Post by STEF78 »

I just bought the game yesterday, watched the videos, tried the game and have some very basic questions:

Move
Is there something like MP? I saw the "action points" How many are required to move one clear/forest/swamp hex?
Is there a way to list the units still having MP available?
Is it possible to "undo" a move?

Attack
Is there something like CV? I tried different attacks and failed because I had no idea of the off/def ratio
How many "action points"are required to move one clear/forest/swamp hex?

Cards
I tried to play the card "focus AGN" on PzG Hoepner AGN but only 18th and 16th army were proposed. I read "only if relations +ve". I didn't found the level of relations between 4th PG and Halder...

Supply
My supply is coming with trucks from Warsaw... I thought main supply base from AGN was Königsberg.

More questions surely coming soon...

Thanks for helping [:)]
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
lancer

RE: Noob questions

Post by lancer »

Hi STEF78,

Action points are used for both movement and combat.

Once you select a unit for movement you can mouse-over any viable hex and see the cost in AP's to move there. Info is shown down the bottom.

Can't undo a move. It's a deliberate design feature. Once you issue the order, it's a given.

If a unit has run out of AP it's shown 'greyed'. Otherwise it still has AP available so you can visually see what's what. Keep in mind that having 5 AP remaining is a bit like having 5 cents in your pocket - not much use for anything.

Not sure what 'CV' is. Combat Value? If you press '1' it'll show the units with an overall strength figure that takes into account a lot of factors. You could use it as a guide to relative strengths. Common sense goes a long way. Attacking over a river isn't going to be the best, nor is attacking in a swamp. The unit pictures (down the bottom) have red and blue boxes superimposed on them which summarise all the special offensive and defensive combat bonuses that apply to that unit.

Relations are found down the bottom in the 'REL' tab.

Supply for AGN does indeed come from Konigsberg. The supply icons can overlap. The little numbers (1 to 4) indicate which PG is receiving the fuel (eg. 4 indicates the truck columns are heading to 4th PG in AGN).

You'll find more info in the help tab. Some decent videos there. I made 'em.

Cheers,
Cameron
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

Thanks for the reply.

CV = combat value and "1" works fine

Sad for the lack of "undo", I already clicked the mouse the wrong way losing AP of a whole Pzd stack

How can I change the relations with Von Leeb?
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Hi

Yes, not having an undo button is a pain sometimes, but one gets used to it, really

If you want to improve relations with an AG commander you have to try to make the "right" choices on certain decisions. Sometimes obvious, sometimes not.

For example, if the trucks of AGN need a refit and you authorise it, relations with von Leeb will improve. But if faced with that decision you do not order a refit, relations will deteriorate. And somehow even on "easy" PPs are never sufficient...[8D]

Regards
Former AJE team member
mikeCK

Post by mikeCK »

Hint: don't underestimate the value of having decent relations with the train commander and truck commander guy. Mine were "distrustful" with the train guy and my supplies suffered noticeably
mannerheim4

Post by mannerheim4 »

ORIGINAL: STEF78

A box of chocolates and a train load of upgraded panzer fuel should do the trick...
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

ORIGINAL: mannerheim4

A box of chocolates and a train load of upgraded panzer fuel should do the trick...

At least until after his experience with the Soviet Generals of January and February. Then he lost his nerve and decided to take a back seat in the 'paradise of Germany!'
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: lancer

If a unit has run out of AP it's shown 'greyed'. Otherwise it still has AP available so you can visually see what's what. Keep in mind that having 5 AP remaining is a bit like having 5 cents in your pocket - not much use for anything.

I'm not sure to understand ... [&:]

If you have 5 cents left in your pocket, are you greyed or not ?

In my current game I have 2 adjacent units, both have 20 AP left. One is greyed, not the other one ... and none of them seem to be able to move or attack anymore.
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi nukkxx,

Depending on the cost of moving into adjacent hexes (varies depending on terrain, weather and transport grid) it's possible that, even with 20 AP they don't have enough to move a single hex. If they are unable to move then they are unable to initiate combat as it infers advancing into the adjacent hex.

You can always select a hex and mouse over the terrain window (top centre) to get a big tool tip showing the cost to enter the hex.

Having a unit that is greyed out and still has 20 AP is unusual.

Possible to post a screenshot?

Cheers,
Cameron
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Hi, no unfortunately I don't have the situation again.
There probably was a rational explanation ... I'll take a screenshot if it occurs again.
Depending on the cost of moving into adjacent hexes (varies depending on terrain, weather and transport grid) it's possible that, even with 20 AP they don't have enough to move a single hex.

So in this case the unit would be greyed ?

thanks
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Can't undo a move. It's a deliberate design feature. Once you issue the order, it's a given.

I understand the option but what about when you click totally by mistake ? It cannot be considered a valid order. For example, I was thinking about a good hex of one of my units (so i clicked it and typed "M") and then I clicked on a HQ counter 3 hex in the west from my unit to check it's influence area and guess what ? yes, my unit been sent 90 km back in the west on my HQ hex while my intent was of course to send it somewhere toward east :-). This already happened several times to me ...

Should "undo" not be an option in PREF ?
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi nukkxx,

Problem with undo is that it's wide open to exploits, especially with fog or war on.

Move a unit, see what's up a ahead, oops made a mistake.

While there is a fair bit of grey area that could be argued either way the approach of all the DC series of games has been to pass on the Undo button.

On balance, we think it's the better way to go.

Cheers,
Cameron
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: lancer

Hi nukkxx,

Problem with undo is that it's wide open to exploits, especially with fog or war on.

Move a unit, see what's up a ahead, oops made a mistake.

While there is a fair bit of grey area that could be argued either way the approach of all the DC series of games has been to pass on the Undo button.

On balance, we think it's the better way to go.

Cheers,
Cameron

Many games have an undo that is disabled if you see something new on the map to prevent recon by undo. That not an option?
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

It could be locked for PBEM but allowed (optionally) in solo then ?
After all, why would I cheat in solo mode ?

Or as said James Ward, the undo should be conditional to new information gathered. As he says, it's the norm for many games and apparently it works well.

It's so frustrating to see units moving somewhere not intended because of a wrong click ... [:@]
willgamer

Post by willgamer »

The number of times a unit could be moved that divulges no new information is almost nil.

That's because it's not just big things like revealing a new unit, but the small thing of increasing the recon points on everything that's nearby.
Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi nukkxx,

Think of it as miscommunication of orders from above.

As Operational Commander you are issuing big picture orders and at times what translates on the ground isn't what you wanted.

When people are under pressure mistakes are made.

Enduring a miss click every now and then is probably not that much different from looking at a situation map and shouting at your minions to find out why the 251st Inf Div which appears to have wandered off the reservation?

Cheers,
Cameron
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Ok, got your point :-)
After all it's probably due to the fact that I'm not yet completely used to the interface. With time, I will undoubtedly improve my command skills over my mouse :-)
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

In fact the problem (as far as I'm concerned) comes from the fact that when i type 'M' to move an army, if I change my mind I have to press ESC to cancel the order and it's a bit difficult because the two keys are distant on the keyboard. In fact it would be great if deselecting an order could be done with a simple right click and/or with a second press of the same 'M' key (same for 'A', 'G',etc). First time you press M you enter the 'move' mode. Press 'M' again and you're back in normal mode (and can't accidentally move an unit. Easier than having to move to the ESC key I think...
My 3 cents about ergonomics ... ;-)
Meteor2

Post by Meteor2 »

ORIGINAL: Speedy

ORIGINAL: mannerheim4

At least until after his experience with the Soviet Generals of January and February. Then he lost his nerve and decided to take a back seat in the 'paradise of Germany!'

To be more accurate here:
FM Ritter von Leeb had some disputes with Hitler about a withdrawl from the Lenigrad front.
The Führer then decided to send him to the "Führerreserve" (retirement) and he was not activated again.
And von Leeb noted in his diary after the war in the west was declared (1939): Hitler is a fool, a criminal.

So it was not his decision to retire to a "paradise". Maybe he was more real then some comrades.

lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi nukkxx,

ESC is the universal key in the game to back out of something, eg. to say "No, I don't want to do this".

As it's got a similar use in many other applications we'll probably stick with it.

Our apologies for the keyboard traverse.

Cheers,
Cameron

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”