Most embarrassing games

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

sillyflower

Most embarrassing games

Post by sillyflower »

The forums are much used to display prowess. Nothing wrong with that at all, but a recent war room thread about what appears to be an inexperienced player's T1 start got me thinking about some of my less successful efforts.

Probably the worst board game was my 1st game of Avalon Hill's 3rd Reich. I never did get to take Minsk. In my 1st proper game with miniatures, my 1944 British force was wiped out with no German losses at all. A duplicate reinforcement force fared no better. My excuse was that my opponent set up the terrain and chose the forces and sides so I'm not convinced that there was a level playing field.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
morvael

RE: Most embarrassing games

Post by morvael »

I lost Zhukov on June 22nd 1941 turn in WitE, because I didn't know relocate function for isolated HQs is so hard on leaders...
loki100

Post by loki100 »

I lost Rzhev on T6 in Road to Smolensk ... still actually don't know how it happened [;)]

There is an old Wars in America AAR of mine (you can find it on the AGEOD board) where my defeat is utter and rather brutal - my only defense it was my very first AGEOD PBEM
Icier

Post by Icier »

also playing miniatures, recreating the battle of Austerlitz & playing Napoleon. Lost the entire
French Army & only managed to destroy to Russian Regiments...I am sure those dice were loaded!
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

In the early days of WITE I had a Soviet opponent cross into Poland in summer 1942 after a particularly brutal blizzard offensive. Heads rolled at the Wolf's lair after that situation report.
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

With me it was The Russian Campaign couldn't win a game as Russia & I was even worse when playing the Axis. Then there was Diplomacy I was playing the central powers and on the first turn every one attacked me. God did I hate that game.
Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

@Manstein63... ahhhh, Diplomacy... playing in dorm, went for pizzas and came back for last turn... know your pain
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

I could say Diplomacy, I was humiliated while playing Italy during a tournament! Eliminated in 1903...

But I would say my very fisrt wargame. A friend of mine mine purchased "les dernières batailles de napoléon" http://www.abandonware-magazines.org/af ... &album=oui, page 60.

We were 4 young players fighting a full afternoon, with the counters on a great table and her mother sometimes looking at us strangelly... (why don't they run after girls or play soccer like others guys?).

La Haye Sainte was about to fall and I was ready to win at Waterloo but... I got a very, very bad dice roll on the morale of the Old Guard.

I gave up the the game [:(]

It was 35 years ago! I'm still playing wargames [:)]
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Slightly OT, but it's my thread, all this nostalgia has reminded me of the book 'Achtung Schweinhund' by Harry Pearson. It's about his life as a boy and grown-up boy as a wargamer. I knew a quite a few of the people he talks about which makes it particularly nostalgic. How much more interesting, and readable, Proust would have been if his brain had been stimulated by the smell of a lead soldier instead of madeleine tea.

HP has an excellent sense of humour (the footer below comes from it) and someone who writes 'for me the Summer of Love was a six-week school holiday filled with Stukas, swastikas and bazookas' clearly understands what's important in life.

I highly recommend it
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Farfarer61

Post by Farfarer61 »

First time playing Third Reich, all newbs save one veteran (friends older brother) playing Italy. I was Germany. I did not grasp that the game was not based on proportional achievements. So once Italy had taken Yugoslavia and Greece, I declared war on Italy and the Panzers took Rome. oops.
With the same group we set up SPI War in the East, setting aside nearly a whole day so we could play it until May 1945 :0
WingedIncubus

Post by WingedIncubus »

My only PBEM of WITE, playing the Soviets. I got trounced so hard, we basically gave up after Turn 7. [:(]

At the time I didn't grasp the concept of layered defence to hurt the Axis Panzers' spending of MPs. I thought that stacking three units in a single hex was enough to hinder my opponent. Oh boy was I wrong...
Farfarer61

Post by Farfarer61 »

In my first game of Third Reich, as Germany, I declared war on and conquered Italy as I thought they were doing too well. I thought the VCs worked proportionally ( wrong ). The veteran Italian player never invited me over to play again. I avoided this at ORIGINS though :)
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

I was once laying a game of expanded rules Axis and Allies as the Axis and ignored Poland on my two turn pulse to invade the UK. Unfortunately the game ended next turn when the UK player (who controls Poland) walked into Germany and took Berlin.
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

You guys are weird. I've been playing war games a long time and never had an ally attacker another in a game like Third Reich over VPs! I guess I/my mates always approached such games as team based historical simulations rather than single player versus everyone else.
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

ORIGINAL: Revthought

I was once laying a game of expanded rules Axis and Allies as the Axis and ignored Poland on my two turn pulse to invade the UK. Unfortunately the game ended next turn when the UK player (who controls Poland) walked into Germany and took Berlin.

That is the most impressively bad performance on the thread so far [&o]
web exchange

RKhan

Post by RKhan »

To resurrect an old thread,

I thought I was the best Squad Leader player around as a kid. I convinced another kid down the street to give it a try. He kicked my butt in his first game.

He went on to a presidential citation, genius certification and full scholarship to MIT but it did not make me feel any better. [:-]
RKhan

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”