Rest and refit

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

mikeCK

Rest and refit

Post by mikeCK »

Thought I had posted this before but I guess it didn't go through. Anyway, how often do you guys rest and refit your Panzergrupen? Do you wait until they are around 50% operational? Do you rely on their fatigue? Or do you do it based on opportunity?

My other question is how soon is too soon? It's July 20th and I am preparing for the next encirclement from Minsk to Smolensk AGC. Panzergrupen are at %67 average. Every turn more enemy divisions arrive. Should I rest them before the attack or go ahead at 60-70% knowing that by the end, they will be severely warn down and vulnerable to counterattack.

I need to add that apparently, my supply trucks are breaking down and I am told I need to basically rest the supply units via a decision. Maybe this is a good time for all at the same time?

Just looking for good guidelines
Gunnulf

RE: Rest and refit

Post by Gunnulf »

Its going to be a very situational judgement call based on where you infantry is at, what your fuel levels are, where your FSB is (and where you want it to be next) and what the enemy is doing. I rarely base the judgement on how worn down the panzers are, the other factors are usually stronger. Typically I will time the rest to be when an FSB is shifting forward for at least 8 days and there are no pressing reasons to push a local advantage. Helps if the forecast suggests a reasonably chance of inclement weather on the horizon, but thats always a lesser gamble. Certainly 20th July is not necessary too early as a reason by itself.
"Stay low, move fast"
battlevonwar

Post by battlevonwar »

Mixture of opportunity, weather, movement of FSB and if you hit the Report on your Panzers and Motorized Divisions you will see if there is any reason to bother resting and refitting. Over time I notice less and less broken down vehicles and just a rotting unit...needs reinforcements...

July and you are dreaming about Refitting? No no no... Have your forward danger Panzers/Motorized and individually move them back a bit and rest them but you must keep a moving. Also beware of later in the Summer making your mobile units vulnerable to counter attack. You should always have some infantry buried with them or in front of them as fodder.

If you're at 67% and your trucks are starting to diminish perfect time to rest.

BTW: This war lasts only for a short duration. 67% or less is fine if your reached your objectives if not optimize your use. More encircling and hold back your Panzers and Motorized and use your Infantry to hold the Red Wall and then sneak around the rail lines with your motorized or around the flanks. Longer the game goes on the more Red Units there are the more useless the Panzers are the more useful the Infantry are..(though you probably lost by this point)

With command focus and bonuses you should almost be able to land in Smolensk by end of July. The offensive bonus is nice but the AP bonus is a lot more powerful early...if the Reds are thin...

ORIGINAL: mikeCK

Thought I had posted this before but I guess it didn't go through. Anyway, how often do you guys rest and refit your Panzergrupen? Do you wait until they are around 50% operational? Do you rely on their fatigue? Or do you do it based on opportunity?

My other question is how soon is too soon? It's July 20th and I am preparing for the next encirclement from Minsk to Smolensk AGC. Panzergrupen are at %67 average. Every turn more enemy divisions arrive. Should I rest them before the attack or go ahead at 60-70% knowing that by the end, they will be severely warn down and vulnerable to counterattack.

I need to add that apparently, my supply trucks are breaking down and I am told I need to basically rest the supply units via a decision. Maybe this is a good time for all at the same time?

Just looking for good guidelines
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

Do you have to pull them out of the line to R&R? I have not played the card yet but do frequently interrupt the blitz tempo of my PG's when moving FSB up by not moving them for a couple of turns. Have been whipping them pretty hard the first couple of times through to see what I can get away with.
battlevonwar

Post by battlevonwar »

Best not to leave them where they could get destroyed. They become immobile for 8 days while they rest and refit and are locked.

ORIGINAL: Dale H

Do you have to pull them out of the line to R&R? I have not played the card yet but do frequently interrupt the blitz tempo of my PG's when moving FSB up by not moving them for a couple of turns. Have been whipping them pretty hard the first couple of times through to see what I can get away with.
theGoat

Post by theGoat »

I think it depends ... based on available fuel, FSB moves if you don't have spare fuel, what opportunities are available and how beat up they are.

As an example, in my current game I'm mid August, in AGS PG1 refitted in mid July... I didn't really want to but I'd taken Lvov, most of the Russians were surrounded and I wasn't far from Kiev - but I had no fuel getting through so the Panzers weren't going anywhere anyway. I did wait a turn so there was a small infantry screen (took the risk that I'd be able to move up more Inf the next turn and got away with it) but including moving them back a bit first and then the 2 turn refit and then almost a turn to get them into position again and it was 4 turns they weren't doing much. It did give me the chance to get my supplies back in order though.

in AGC I was going to refit the Panzers around now as I've been using them hard but I have a big salient to defend and the Inf needs to catch up and splt some more Russians on my flanks. Plus I'm one hex from Bryansk with PG2 and PG3 have the opportunity to press NE towards Rzhev so I've decided to move while I still can before the front solidifies again and see if I can encircle more formations (I got several HQs and a pile of Divs around Smolensk).

In AGN 4PG are surrounding Leningrad with the Finns and I've nobody to cover for them at the moment while I pull them out of the line so they're going to have to stay where they are in the line for them moment (I know - PGs investing a city is a waste of mobility but they're all I have up there until the Finns can take over the encirclement - prob a turn or two)

Ideally if I figure the PGs will be ok until the Raspitutsa (sp?) hits I'll refit then as I don't want to move them in the mud if I can help it anyway.
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

R&R works well in quiet sectors without pulling them off the line. Started a rotation system of R&R after the Raputitsa hit. They just have no AP's and I assume they defend normally.
Gunnulf

Post by Gunnulf »

No they don't defend normally, they defend with penalties and are quite vulnerable.
"Stay low, move fast"
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

Thanks. I should have read the section in the manual. Mainly for PG's then. Hard to pull an entire infantry Army out of the line. Works well as said when moving FSB forward.
ORIGINAL: Gunnulf

No they don't defend normally, they defend with penalties and are quite vulnerable.
mannerheim4

Post by mannerheim4 »

You can pull individual infantry divisions out of the line - you are right, it is not feasible to refit an entire infantry army...

Regards

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”