Steam Services Status

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wings7

Steam Services Status

Post by wings7 »

Here is an excellent web utility info page on the current various Steam-related services! [:)]
https://steamstat.us/
The Store has been down for the last 30 minutes which prompted me to post this info/message. [:(]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
zakblood

RE: Steam Services Status

Post by zakblood »

working now fine for me
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

It was a bit more than a normal outage. Here's one of the many stories on it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12 ... -accounts/

That gives a lot of ammunition to the anti-Steam crowd, though I gotta say I still like the convenience of it.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: map66

It was a bit more than a normal outage. Here's one of the many stories on it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12 ... -accounts/

That gives a lot of ammunition to the anti-Steam crowd, though I gotta say I still like the convenience of it.

You, me, and about 10 million others.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

Technically it's not 10 million but 125 million. I was curious to google that after your comment--- I honestly thought the total number of Steam users would be much higher than that.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Technically it's not 10 million but 125 million. I was curious to google that after your comment--- I honestly thought the total number of Steam users would be much higher than that.

I got the number from the link above :) It shows how many are on-line.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

because steam isn't one server, it's a cloud of many, if one part goes down, others in different regions pick up the slack, while there maybe a local loop issue with a given place, as a whole it doesn't crash on mass, that would take a massive hack or DOS, which to date hasn't happened ever in the history of steam.

Code: Select all

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?s=41d67b4d500b890cb02f0b7fe9588867&ref=5483-YUFN-0521

as you login from a given region, if you region goes down for any reason, just change regions for downloads or signing it, then it works.

regarding the story above, look at the comments on steam, it has 25 on one and 30 on another replies, so is that a mass fail?

with 10,613,733 members login in the last 24/48 hours, if it was a major issue, more than 30 would be complaining.

regarding downloads amounts, here's the information

Code: Select all

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

world wide it's 5.6 Tbps, you will need a few 0 to work out how much data that is[:D][;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

All said, it still boggles the mind how big Steam is. I've always wondered, given (probably) most people on Steam actually spend money in the service, versus the vast majority of people who spend absolutely nothing on Facebook, how much Valve would be worth if they went public. My suspicion is it would be scary, given they probably have way more accurate data on a lot of people like myself and their spending patterns, as opposed to Facebook (which I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, but there their data would be a lot more second or third degree removed. Even for buying a car, I imagine the exact computer setup/ relative power of someone is a lot more reliable data than any friends postings on Facebook.)
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Interesting utility though :)
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Janes

Post by Janes »

Well, for me it's a sign to say goodbay to this service for good. Never liked it, just used it because i had to. But lately i figured i don't really have to use it anymore. There are plenty of other stores that don't need this drm stuff - Matrix, GOG, etc.

It became ridiculous for me that in order to just play video games i have to agree to this always online BS, constant threat form hackers or stuff like yesterday, even if it happend for the first time. No game is worth it anymore.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

because steam isn't one server, it's a cloud of many, if one part goes down, others in different regions pick up the slack, while there maybe a local loop issue with a given place, as a whole it doesn't crash on mass, that would take a massive hack or DOS, which to date hasn't happened ever in the history of steam.
Just remember, another word for Cloud is Fog. [:D]
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Janes

Well, for me it's a sign to say goodbay to this service for good. Never liked it, just used it because i had to. But lately i figured i don't really have to use it anymore. There are plenty of other stores that don't need this drm stuff - Matrix, GOG, etc.

It became ridiculous for me that in order to just play video games i have to agree to this always online BS, constant threat form hackers or stuff like yesterday, even if it happend for the first time. No game is worth it anymore.

It became necessary to create portals like Steam because PIRACY (stealing the games) was rampant! We have to have portals like Steam or the PC game market would have ceased to exist. Game creators and publishers have to be paid, it is how they make a living (putting food on the table)! What do you do for a living?
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Janes

Post by Janes »

ORIGINAL: wings7

It became necessary to create portals like Steam because PIRACY (stealing the games) was rampant! We have to have portals like Steam or the PC game market would have ceased to exist. Game creators and publishers have to be paid, it is how they make a living (putting food on the table)! What do you do for a living?

I completely disagree with that. Piracy doesn't bypass steam games. They're are being stolen just like non steam games on a regular basis. Plus how come publishers (and mainly developers that make drmfree games without the need to stay online and use 3rd party software) like GOG or Matrix for that matter manage to stay in business and actually expand? Piracy is still an issue and it will remain that way. And it's not because games are expensive. They're not actually. Ppl steal games because it is very easy to do so without any consequences. And Steam won't change that in any way.

I don't like being restricted by steam on so many levels. No way to trade a game or rent it to a friend without giving him my whole account. I don't see any reason why i'am being stripped of these rights just because steam says so. Plus there are other issues. Killing second-hand market is not a way to fight piracy.

My occupation has nothing to do with that. I've been paying for games for more than 20 years and will continue to do so. Just not for games that require steam. I simply won't play them.

I would be ok with Steam if it was just a store. Or if it was optional like GOG Galaxy. With Steam i have no option. It's their way or the high way. As a consumer i don't see any good reason to agree with these kind of practices.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

I completely disagree with that. Piracy doesn't bypass steam games. They're are being stolen just like non steam games on a regular basis. Plus how come publishers (and mainly developers that make drmfree games without the need to stay online and use 3rd party software) like GOG or Matrix for that matter manage to stay in business and actually expand? Piracy is still an issue and it will remain that way. And it's not because games are expensive. They're not actually. Ppl steal games because it is very easy to do so without any consequences. And Steam won't change that in any way.

I don't like being restricted by steam on so many levels. No way to trade a game or rent it to a friend without giving him my whole account. I don't see any reason why i'am being stripped of these rights just because steam says so. Plus there are other issues. Killing second-hand market is not a way to fight piracy.

My occupation has nothing to do with that. I've been paying for games for more than 20 years and will continue to do so. Just not for games that require steam. I simply won't play them.

I would be ok with Steam if it was just a store. Or if it was optional like GOG Galaxy. With Steam i have no option. It's their way or the high way. As a consumer i don't see any good reason to agree with these kind of practices.

1. Steam has slowed down the piracy of games but it won't stop it completely.
2. I have a large Steam collection that I am passing down to my daughter. Piracy has really hurt the second-hand market.
3. If you were a game developer and 75% of your work was stolen, how long would you continue to develop?
4. In 10 years or less all games will be a download with some kind of DRM attached to it...keep all your boxed games with manuals!
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

"In 10 years or less all games will be a download with some kind of DRM attached to it...keep all your boxed games with manuals! "

Hopefully by then they'll realize DRM doesn't do anything to prevent piracy and only hampers the buyer and discontinue it.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

It's technically correct that part of Steam's raison d'etre is to kill off the second-hand market via discounts and a user-friendly, highly integrated ecology, but it's also technically correct that you're not supposed to be able to "resell" your Matrix Games nor your GOG Games, either.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Steam provides $50 to $60 games for $5....that I can't argue with. [:'(] There's a ton of free to play games as well. Getting the likes of Rome Total War, Medieval Total War, Empire TW (and soon ROME II tw) an others for $5 is priceless almost.

marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

Also you got to give Steam credit for being absolutely vital to all in the innovative independent small games that have come out over the last few years. Without a large central market like Steam, I highly doubt we would have had anything like the diversity of games we have now.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Also you got to give Steam credit for being absolutely vital to all in the innovative independent small games that have come out over the last few years. Without a large central market like Steam, I highly doubt we would have had anything like the diversity of games we have now.

Indeed! There are some fantastic indie games on Steam...an absolute treasure trove! [:)]
goblinteasemaid

Post by goblinteasemaid »

Hi Guys
I wasted around 3 hours wrestling with Steam. It appears something very drastic has happened over the last 3 days and its site is in meltdown. I tried everyway to try and login in but can't get autheticated, it wont send emails to anything on Hotmail or Outlook. This is posted by others who have similar problems under Community/ forums discussions.
I've never encountered such a convoluted website requiring several layers of verification. All this cos I want to purchase their sale package of Command MANO + Command NI. So they lost a customer, Ill try Matrix

All this hyper security for a £35 package?

The Steam search browse engine really sucks.

Anyone else found this? Signing up to Matrix was a breeze - perfectly normal and standard.

[:o]

Return to “General Discussion”