New to game, Operation Husky tactics/strategies

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

lesharris

New to game, Operation Husky tactics/strategies

Post by lesharris »

I am new to the game and would say I have only a rudimentary understanding of game systems as a whole. That said, I've been playing through the Operation Husky intro scenario and having a good time with it. I can pretty much always easily get a minor Allied victory at this point. I can't seem to close the deal and capture Messina before the end of turn 7. I can get it to the point where if there was a turn 8 I would easily capture it. Always close but no cigar.

I have been sending a fairly minimal detachment to the west and northwest consisting of two infantry and one armor divisions which handily take those two VP cities and the rest of the US forces I throw in with the British to give more 'oompf' for the Messina push. I am finding difficulties with the terrain, having enough points to maneuver, come head to head with the 3 unit stacking limit, etc. Since I am getting so close I feel like it must be possible and the failure lies entirely with my play.

I thought I would reach out on here and see if any old hands have any advice or strategies for taking Messina in the intro scenario. I am certain I am missing something.
KWG

RE: New to game, Operation Husky tactics/strategies

Post by KWG »

Could be many things;

If this applies

Dont waste maneuver points in overkill attacks against the Axis units. Push then into smaller areas that can be contained and eliminated by divisions broken down into regiments. Then the rest of you units can focus all on advancing and capturing Messina.

Support from the Air Force will help.
"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."
Hofstadter

Post by Hofstadter »

Messina requires immediate reduction by strategic units bombing and isolation. You could use strat af to bomb the units and a combination of coastal af and the amphibs to block off the strait. You need your strongest units with engineers to push foward, while the weak ones clear a corridor and take the rest of the island
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A.

Wargaming channel of Hofstadters Tortoise. Check it out yo.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

ORIGINAL: orphean
I thought I would reach out on here and see if any old hands have any advice or strategies for taking Messina in the intro scenario. I am certain I am missing something.

Important advice for Allied newbies is making use of your task forces. Press CTRL+7
This highlights on map artillery. Note the TFs are now highlighted.

If these units are simply adjacent to a combat they will lend their naval guns, which have a very nice suppression effect on the enemy. Stack the TFs offshore of any coastal combat.
At the end of a turn your TF should be either:
A) in position to support a temporary port
B) in position to repair a level 1 or level 2 port
C) in position to prep for the next invasion
D) in position to block the flow of enemy supply/bombard enemy adjacent positions during the logistics phase.

TFs have high mobility, so they can provide fire support during your movement phase, and still have MP to get them back to port (or wherever most needed).
They are not invulnerable, so be careful letting them end turn adjacent to enemy ports with forts (port guns can tear up your TF) or in high enemy interdiction areas.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

ORIGINAL: orphean

Important advice for Allied newbies is making use of your task forces. Press CTRL+7
This highlights on map artillery. Note the TFs are now highlighted.

If these units are simply adjacent to a combat they will lend their naval guns, which have a very nice suppression effect on the enemy. Stack the TFs offshore of any coastal combat.
At the end of a turn your TF should be either:
A) in position to support a temporary port
B) in position to repair a level 1 or level 2 port
C) in position to prep for the next invasion
D) in position to block the flow of enemy supply/bombard enemy adjacent positions during the logistics phase.

TFs have high mobility, so they can provide fire support during your movement phase, and still have MP to get them back to port (or wherever most needed).
They are not invulnerable, so be careful letting them end turn adjacent to enemy ports with forts (port guns can tear up your TF) or in high enemy interdiction areas.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
RealChuckB

Post by RealChuckB »

Hi,

I'm also still a newbie (and really appreciate the feedback in this thread with techniques I'm not aware off) but was able to capture Messina in my game yesterday (although the only unit in Messina was a HQ unit, which apparently is enough).

I used the US units directly attached to the 7th army (armor and an inf div and one brigade, I think) to capture the western tip. I drove the rest of the US units (with its HQ) straight up north and was luckily able to take Palermo with the first deliberate attack of these.

I massed my strong British units right of the vulcano and was able to overwhelm the defenders slowly, I used the other British brigades to pinpoint the other defenders a bit more to the west and then drove my US units (once they were done in the west) along the northern highway to join the fight.

I did NOT airdrop any of my airborne units when I landed but dropped the whole British AB division on the northern highway later to support the attack there. I actually did not use the US airborne troops (still a newbie)

I'm also trying to learn the logistics system and interestingly, I had some supply issues with two of he British divisions along the east coast (the others were fine) - not really sure what the issue was.

Will try it again tonight ...
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

I just got the game myself on sale tonight. The air war alone may take me a couple months to figure out.
Sniper31

Post by Sniper31 »

I got the game a few days ago on sale, and have been playing the Operation Husky scenario fervishly to learn more and more. Of course, I have been reading parts of the manual and the Players Handbook is definitely a plus as well. No doubt, this is one complex and rewarding game. Enjoying immensely! Now, back to my attack on Messina....
"I say again, expend ALL remaining in my perimeter!" - Platoon

"This is JB27, on target...fire for effect.." - Me

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”