ACW AI v Waterloo AI

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

Tony1961

ACW AI v Waterloo AI

Post by Tony1961 »

Although the Waterloo scenarios look great, I'm not finding them as satisfying to play as Gettysburg. The main reason, I think, is the AI doesn't seem to work as well. For example, the commanders are all suicidal and march blindly into the enemy lines. In Gettysburg, they have the sense to stop behind their lines. Stopping the Waterloo commanders requires a fair degree of micro-management.
zakblood

RE: ACW AI v Waterloo AI

Post by zakblood »

not a tech support question, please move back to main, thanks mods
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Mr Digby

Post by Mr Digby »

Have you read Mitra's series of guides on the WL AI? Its been improved a lot since Gettysburg and I find the opposite to be true! WL brigade commanders are more careful with their units to a large degree and you certainly don't see the weird effects you'd sometimes see in GB. Brigades deploy earlier and further from a late meeting with an enemy unlike in GB. Remember too that this is a different era and continent with a different style of combat. Napoleonic combat involved (generally speaking) more aggression and more attempts to drive an enemy off a position with a physical approach by battalions and squadrons and less with firepower.

Cavalry of course is all about physical contact (unless its about threat and presence) so you may see some cavalry commanders getting in the thick of it.

Is the issue showing up in a specific scenario or in sandbox? If so what OOB and map?
Tony1961

Post by Tony1961 »

I see it in everything. I tell the unit where to go and the commander dutifully marches to that spot, usually right through enemy lines, and dies very quickly.
Mr Digby

Post by Mr Digby »

Are you TC'ing him, or giving him a stance? If you TC him, he will because you have turned the AI off entirely.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

I think the poster was talking about HIS units ia and not the enemy
ITs a very Micro managed type game... love it or hate it thats the direction this series is going ....
I was imagining this level of detail for a remake of Iron men and wooden ships...

CHARGE!!!
"Tanks forward"
Mr Digby

Post by Mr Digby »

You can micro-manage if you want or not. I used to TC units a lot in Gettysburg but with Waterloo I trust the AI to be more sensible and find myself often not TCing any units or commanders, just giving them formations and stances. Its very satisfying to see your AI brigade go and kick the backside of another players brigade, who, from the way his general is galloping back and forth you know is TCing his troops ;)

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”