AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Alfred

AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two

Post by Alfred »

I am opening up a part two thread as the original manual revision thread was locked.

tm.asp?m=3689581&mpage=1&key=manual%2Crevision

As can be seen in post 85 from 13 June 2015 in the original thread I provided a then status report and future intentions. The current status is as follows.

1. I upgraded to the latest official patch last week and recommenced direct work on the project.

2. The revision is locked in to the latest official update ie v.1.01.24. No notice will be taken of any beta changes made by michaelm since then. This is a non negotiable position as otherwise the project could never be finalised.

3. I am retyping from scratch the complete manual. New screenshots are being taken. This is actually quicker than trying to cut and paste into the existing PDF document.

4. The general layout of the original manual is being followed but I am adding new sections and rewriting existing sections to both improve accuracy and readability. Unknown to them yet, I have a couple of individuals in mind to send the drafts to read in order to provide feedback on ease of readability. The condition will be that the drafts are not released to nor commented on to any third parties.

5. Drafts of the first three chapters have been completed. I anticipate that I will have drafts of the first five chapters completed by the new year. When completed I will be sending the first five chapters to the devs for

(a) confirmation that the approach I have adopted in the revision is acceptable to them, and
(b) checking the code to confirm certain changes I am making are in fact completely accurate

I don't know how long it will take for the devs to respond, nor whether they will approve of my approach. In any case whilst they assess the first five chapters I will continue the revision. If I do get a negative response from the devs the project will cease from my end.

6. One of the things I have done, and why it is important for the devs to agree to the approach I am taking, is to add hyperlinks back to accurate and useful forum discussions. These are identified by the preceding [FD]. The intent is to provide context. For example, I have provided a hyperlink for players on Win 10 who have tech issues (such as slow response times). That link is provided in chapter 1 in a new section dealing with Command Line switches. Another [FD] provided in chapter 2 is on which scenario should a new player first choose to play. That way a new player can read what is in the manual (which is expanded on anyway from the original) plus see what actual players recommend. There are several other [FD] in addition to these two already inserted into the draft.

7. Currently I have another forumite checking on things which I am not in a position to do so. These are things such as use of hotkeys in a PBEM game (I don't have any PBEM games to use as a test bed) and any thing which needs to be under Win 10 as I remain on Win 7. No effort will be made to test on Win 8.1 as most of those users seem to have moved over to Win 10.

8. Currently there is no estimate as to when the project will be completed. In the last week I have been spending some 12 hours daily on checking patch notes, searching the forum, running game turns for checking purposes, on drafting etc. That rate may not be able to be sustained indefinitely but even if it were, it would still entail another two months minimum just to get the first draft of the complete manual done. That is without taking into account time spent by the devs on the drafts and any resulting rewrites necessary from their comments.

9. I have linked back to the original thread so that those earlier comments are not overlooked. This new thread can be the repository for any new, relevant comments. However lets try to not get this thread locked too.

Alfred
dave sindel

RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Part Two

Post by dave sindel »

Thank you for your efforts in this regard Alfred. A labor of love indeed.
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

How will the manual be distributed?
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

No idea, that is one of those many decisions up to the devs/Matrix and why it is so important for them to approve how I am handling the revision.

The easiest way would be to simply release a new PDF. I doubt that Matrix would want to publish a hard copy but one of my objectives is to produce a document which is of a sufficiently high standard that it could be produced in hard copy form. Actually this is one of the reasons why I have decided to not cut and paste into the existing manual but to rewrite from scratch. By doing so I can have a simple and consistent formatting style which can then be easily reformatted by Matrix to their standards for hard copy or PDF publication.

Ultimately it is a marketing decision for Matrix. If they believe there is sufficient demand for the sale of stand alone hard copies (plus adding them to new sales of the boxed version of AE), they might think it worthwhile. Otherwise the cost of releasing it only in PDF form is minimal. After all I'm not being paid for this project and I doubt any of the devs who might look at my drafts will be either.

Alfred
pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

Many thanks Alfred for your contributions. It is a mighty task indeed that you have undertaken. We wish you well.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Wow Alfred, and thank you. Happy holidays to you and yours. If you're ever in the neighborhood drop a line and dinner is on me.[;)]

[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

The new manual will be distributed to those players who completed at least one GC game against human/AI and reached March, 1946. Slackers will be stuck with the old manual.This discrimination will continue until the turn rate improves.
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

No idea, that is one of those many decisions up to the devs/Matrix and why it is so important for them to approve how I am handling the revision.

The easiest way would be to simply release a new PDF. I doubt that Matrix would want to publish a hard copy but one of my objectives is to produce a document which is of a sufficiently high standard that it could be produced in hard copy form. Actually this is one of the reasons why I have decided to not cut and paste into the existing manual but to rewrite from scratch. By doing so I can have a simple and consistent formatting style which can then be easily reformatted by Matrix to their standards for hard copy or PDF publication.

Ultimately it is a marketing decision for Matrix. If they believe there is sufficient demand for the sale of stand alone hard copies (plus adding them to new sales of the boxed version of AE), they might think it worthwhile. Otherwise the cost of releasing it only in PDF form is minimal. After all I'm not being paid for this project and I doubt any of the devs who might look at my drafts will be either.

Alfred

I should think quite a few followers would be willing to pay for such a manual. Could even put it up on Kindle?

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Leandros

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Alfred

I should think quite a few followers would be willing to pay for such a manual.

Fred
warspite1

I think that is right based on the reaction to the quality, hard-bound MWIF, WITW and DC:B tomes. Certainly something I would dish out cash for.

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Leandros

...I should think quite a few followers would be willing to pay for such a manual. Could even put it up on Kindle?

Fred

The issue is that the IP rights to AE belong to others. Anyone can write a game guide which focuses on game play hints but it would not be authoritative not being based on the underlying game code, as a manual is meant to be, and would need to avoid infringing copyright which would not be an easy task considering how extensive the existing manual is.

What people want is primarily a manual which accurately explains current game mechanics. Secondarily they want guidance on how to become a good AE player. Both of those requirements necessitate direct access to the game code. Ideally one of the original devs would produce a brand new manual but that "ain't gonna 'appen". So the community is left with me.

No matter how diligent I am in cross checking patch notes, historical forum posts from the devs, or eagle eye examination of the processing of a game turn and data relationships, there is no escaping that a dev with access to the code/Matrix will only participate if they retain control over the process. In fact there is even a possibility that Matrix demands I sign a NDA for any official assistance/recognition to given to the project.

There is too much work involved for this to simply be treated as a " garden folly". As it is too many around here dismiss as worthless or inaccurate what I post because I'm not one of the devs.

Alfred

Edit: wrong phonetic "right", should have been "write" in the first paragraph.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Thanks for the significant effort!
richlove

Post by richlove »

Alfred, thank you for your efforts here, and for explaining the state of the project and the hurdles ahead.
NigelKentarus

Post by NigelKentarus »

You are to be commended sir for undertaking a truly Hurculean task. I really like the idea of hyperlinks to the forum embedded in the manual. Thank you.
Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

There is too much work involved for this to simply be treated as a " garden folly". As it is too many around here dismiss as worthless or inaccurate what I post because I'm not one of the devs.

Alfred:

I respectfully submit that there is absolutely nothing "inconsequential" about your exact, detailed and exceptionally helpful posts. While the Devs are always to be listened to and respected, there are a number of people on this forum, who are far more astute than I, whom I have found to be exceptional in their accuracy and understanding of the mechanics of the game. You are, of course, included on this list.

Am absolutely delighted that you have persevered with this project, and look forward to it's release.

From the Snowy Mountains of Colorado, to the Beautiful, Sunny (but shark infested) beaches of Oz Land

Mac

LAV-25 2147
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

The new manual will be distributed to those players who completed at least one GC game against human/AI and reached March, 1946. Slackers will be stuck with the old manual.This discrimination will continue until the turn rate improves.

Hey, wait Yaab, doesn't that leave you out. You haven't gone passed the end of December if I recall.[:D]

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

So the community is left with me.

Its difficult to describe what you have done and continue to do for the community without sounding like a sycophant, so I will just say we are not 'left with' you.

KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Good luck Alfred
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
paradigmblue

Post by paradigmblue »

Thank you so much for this labor of love.

Please let us know if you need help with copy-editing. Also, it wouldn't hurt to have another set of eyes helping with readability issues.
reg113

Post by reg113 »

Thank you, Alfred! [&o]
"Life's a b***h, then you die."
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

ORIGINAL: rustysi
So the community is left with me.

Its difficult to describe what you have done and continue to do for the community without sounding like a sycophant, so I will just say we are not 'left with' you.

+1
The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”