Star Wars

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Ranger33

RE: Star Wars

Post by Ranger33 »

I went in without reading ANYTHING about it. I had only seen the first trailer or two so I was totally fresh. I'm 28 years old, so I'm kind of in that middle ground where I saw the originals as a kid (not in theaters, obviously), loved them, and then was disappointed by the prequels, but didn't hate them by any means. I thought this movie was stylistically a huge leap in the right direction, while some story elements were indeed a bit recycled. Hopefully this movie will serve as a nice jumping off point to the next two movies that will be better story-wise. I thought the new actors and characters did a great job, and Harrison Ford was obviously having a lot of fun reviving his old role.
Zap

Post by Zap »

I will be going soon remembering how much I enjoyed the first three ; the second three just a little less. And now with the positive comments looking forward to the next
jamus34

Post by jamus34 »

I loved the sets and panning shots. One thing I'll give JJ is that he knows how to take great sweepers.

One of things I hated about the prequels was the use of CGI for EVERYTHING.

George Lucas: Hey, let's use one of our supercomputers to generate a bowl of apples right here.

Production Manager: Uhhh, George...we can go to the corner store, BUY a dozen apples, pick out the best 6 and not spend one thousandth of the amount to CGI them.

GL: Dammit this is my production and I want those *edited* computers to make me the most perfect bowl of apples imaginable...Heads will roll people if this is not perfect.

PM: Yes Sir (pulls out the blank check)

Plot was the weakest part in my mind. it's all been done before. That said, it's all been done before. It's rare that I encounter a purely fictional movie that it refreshingly new especially in the sci fi genre. I'm not the creative type so I don't know what can be done to create something refreshingly new...but I do know it's been a very long time since I've seen anything new. Memento while not true sci fi probably comes close for it's time. Donnie Darko. Some parts of Inception.

I am disheartened (and somewhat annoyed) that JJ is not doing the 2nd movie. It's obvious in what will be all three trilogies that the first movie is setting the plate. Why. as a highly touted director would you want to come in and set the plate and not sit down and eat your steak? I do see a lot of opened ended options they can go in...why not want to be a part of that.

As far as the actors...I have no real complaints. As someone earlier stated Hamill wasn't exactly a superstar. Ford was already an established star when SW came out, granted I imagine his portrayal of Han helped get Ford the Indy gig. The only other movie I can recall Fisher being in is Blues Brothers; while an enjoyable film; not exactly academy award stuff. Both actors are significantly better than Portman and Lloyd/Christensen.

I've been stating since seeing it that it's good. It's not earth shattering or life changing, but enjoyable and that's what I look for when going to the movies (as rare of an event as that is nowadays) I'll save the award winners at home when I can pause and replay parts as necessary to hear every last bit of dialogue.

Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

It did the Star Wars Saga Justice. For me it was excellent(9 out 10). The best one compared to the last few that were released.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Rebel Yell

Post by Rebel Yell »

Not perfect (what is?) but for a couple hours, this 53 year old was a kid again.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: Franciscus

Of course, not the best movie ever, recycled scripting, some cheesy acting...but if you watch critically any of the 3 originals, that also really applies too. After all, in all of them some of the best acting were probably made by droids, some of which don't even talk :)
I've got it! People, like zakblood and Jagdtiger14, had seen the original Star Wars movies when they were younger and less critical about movies. Now they are grumpy, old guys, reminiscing good old days while being critical and cynical towards anything new. Case in point. Did I got it right?

well aged 48 this year, you maybe right, as looking back with rose tinted spec's everything always looked better than maybe it was, but, and it's a big butt tbh, back in the day, when the first 3 came out, the scripts and actors imo were better, the hype market was less, it was more word of mouth in those days, so if all your mates went to see it, you did to as you didn't want to miss out or feel left out while others were taking about it, but today, the hype goes out first, your mates talk less about it, so you wonder if it's as good as the hype, most of my friends have now seen it, and to be very honest, next to none are talking about it, either online or on other methods, when asked they say on average it's ok, not as good as the first 3, but way better than the last ones, acting ok to average, and script a bit of a let down and not great, with the words predictable being used more often than not, so it seems while they all went, none wish to see it again any time soon, so hype 10 out of time again, actual film 6 maybe 7 if your a fan with a average block buster 5 for everyone else, and won't go down as a classic in there book.

so rose tinted glasses and age, and tbh i always make my own mind up, and care less what a unknown reviewers comments says as well i don't them, will make my own mind up, care less about advertising and hype and see it on the TV when it's out maybe next year or the year after on SKY etc, but will keep my money in my pocket again for now[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Citizen Emperor

Post by Citizen Emperor »

Is it true that, in the film, characters standing on the surface of a planet are able to see -- with the naked eye -- multiple planets being destroyed in another solar system -- as in several light years away?

If so, then the script of THE FORCE AWAKENS is practically on the same level as SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS.

I mean, that's simply Face-Palm Worthy stupid. Inexcusably so.

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Citizen Emperor: I agree! The science of Star Wars is all wrong. Just one of many: the fastest ship can go ".5 past light speed"...not sure what that means?...1.5 light speed? That means it would take over 3 years to get from Earth to our nearest star system Alpha Centauri. WooHoo! The only way this could work is if the Star Wars stars were located near the center of its galaxy and tightly compacted...but neighboring stars would cause astroids and comets to fly into the inner planets making life highly unlikely. Star Wars was not thought through very well.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Citizen Emperor

Is it true that, in the film, characters standing on the surface of a planet are able to see -- with the naked eye -- multiple planets being destroyed in another solar system -- as in several light years away?

If so, then the script of THE FORCE AWAKENS is practically on the same level as SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS.

I mean, that's simply Face-Palm Worthy stupid. Inexcusably so.

Because seeing and dodging laser blasts, which travel at......light speed..... is so smart...... :)
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Challerain

Post by Challerain »

ORIGINAL: Citizen Emperor

No
waltero

Post by waltero »

It was an exact duplicate of the original. Build something big and destroy it...droid knowing where the Jedi is located...find the droid!

Mullennium falcon was known by nobody in the original movie. How was it known by the 20 year old girl in the latest film? Turns out the Millennium falcon was sitting in her back yard and she thought it junk.
It portrays the Jedi as Cowards...always in hiding (why).

The movie did not break all the box offce records because it was good. Hollywood has no creativity.
"WELL ~ Mrs. LIncoln,
other than that, How was the play?
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Reb, Me too. It's like, I seen a bunch old friends again.[:)]
ORIGINAL: Rebel Yell

Not perfect (what is?) but for a couple hours, this 53 year old was a kid again.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: waltero

It was an exact duplicate of the original. Build something big and destroy it...droid knowing where the Jedi is located...find the droid!

Mullennium falcon was known by nobody in the original movie. How was it known by the 20 year old girl in the latest film? Turns out the Millennium falcon was sitting in her back yard and she thought it junk.

The movie did not break all the box offce records because it was good. Hollywood has no creativity.
Hard to believe that a 30 year old spaceship wouldn't be obsolete, especially the computers.

I'm waiting for an internet mashup of the original Star Wars and the new one. [;)]
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: waltero

Hard to believe that a 30 year old spaceship wouldn't be obsolete, especially the computers.

I'm waiting for an internet mashup of the original Star Wars and the new one. [;)]

Hey, wait a minute, in the first episodes they were working on the Millennium Falcon what's to say the ship has not been renovated several times since then! Hans Solo became rich after he helped save the universe. All that cash he surely updated it several times. Wheres your vision [:)]
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

This movie has a long way to go compared to the original.

Force Awakens = $500M box office so far.
Star Wars (original movie) = $750M (1977 dollars = $3.5B 2015 dollars).
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Zap

Have not watched it yet, so don't give away too much just let me known. Is as good as the critics say>

No. Not IMHO, anyway. In fact I'd suggest it is consistently over-rated. Film critics are usually pretty brutal, but the same mentality you see with reviews of some 'AAA' games seems to be in place here, people just seem afraid to criticize as nobody else is.

Not that Force Awakens isn't a lot of fun, it is. And it's certainly better than Phantom Menace was. My main gripe is the staggering lack of anything original or creative in it, everything seems copied from the original trilogy. Data hidden in droid wandering around desert planet, check. Droid found by soon-to-be Force adept, check. Darth Vader clone, check... starting movie looking for aforementioned data and droid, check. Emperor clone, check. Grand Moff Tarkin clone, check. Death Star clone, check. Convenient weakness in Death Star clone, check. And so on, and so on. Even the little that is new is hopelessly derivative. Spice up the 'emperor' clone? Throw in a bit of Lord of the Rings. Spice up the 'Empire' clone? Throw in a bit (or more than a bit; they'll be 'Seig Heil-ing next') of the Third Reich. It's a real shame Abrams didn't manage to both please the fans and produce something fresh and new, as he did with Star Trek. He might have brought back Khan, but it was a fresh take on the character and a new plot, not just ST2 regurgitated.

In brief, I'll no doubt watch Episodes VIII and IX, but I'm not hugely excited about them. Roll on Star Trek 3 and Guardians of the Galaxy 2. [:)]

Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

Spot on Herston, you nailed what I thought. I took my niece who was in full Darth Vadar apparel and couldn't bring myself to tell her what I thought. Not bad, but, certainly no where near the original trilogy in story or plot and not worth the lavish praise I had been reading.
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

I think this is why Star Wars is considered fantasy and not science fiction.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
radic202

Post by radic202 »

Sorry to rain on some peeps parade! But I hated it!! I was totally bored, completely yawning almost from start to finish, absolutely no story besides the search for Luke, ton of plot holes (don't use the excuse it is part 1 or 7 of more to come to explain it), no character development whatsoever and tell me how a young lady and even Finn for that matter can use a Lightsaber and fight off a trained Dark Sith Knight/Lord. I could go on and on but rank this the worst of the lot in the Star Wars Canon for me. And I am or was a huge Star Wars Fan ever since I first saw it at the tender age of 13 way back when.

Sorry gang but what a huge frigging disappointment. Maybe it is one of those films I need to watch more than once to fully appreciate it but for now a 1 out of 10 and the 1 is basically for seeing Han Solo and Chewbacca and the Millennium Falcon again.
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: radic202

Sorry to rain on some peeps parade! But I hated it!! I was totally bored, completely yawning almost from start to finish, absolutely no story besides the search for Luke, ton of plot holes (don't use the excuse it is part 1 or 7 of more to come to explain it), no character development whatsoever and tell me how a young lady and even Finn for that matter can use a Lightsaber and fight off a trained Dark Sith Knight/Lord. I could go on and on but rank this the worst of the lot in the Star Wars Canon for me. And I am or was a huge Star Wars Fan ever since I first saw it at the tender age of 13 way back when.

Sorry gang but what a huge frigging disappointment. Maybe it is one of those films I need to watch more than once to fully appreciate it but for now a 1 out of 10 and the 1 is basically for seeing Han Solo and Chewbacca and the Millennium Falcon again.

OMG. And I'm going to see it in the next few days and I don't want to use a critical eye!!!

Return to “General Discussion”