Vehicle speed and acceleration rates

Post new mods and scenarios here.
SchnelleMeyer

Vehicle speed and acceleration rates

Post by SchnelleMeyer »

I am trying to adjust the speed of the vehicles in GtC to more realistic values - Like it is in CCMT.

A couple of questions in this regard:

I cant seem to get vehicles moving faster than a certain speed by adjusting acceleration and maxspeed in vehicle data, even after adjusting element file for movement rates this problem persists.

Working with the Churchill I can't seem to have it cover more than a 100m in 45 sec on paved road - This equates to only 8km/h.
I tried upping the acceleration/speed data, but it wont run faster !
Is there a cap on vehicle speed in GtC?

Can someone in the know please explain how exactly Acceleration and Max speed works in the game and how I can adjust these to get more realistic speed of my vehicles ?

Are there any other data values that I need to adjust ?

SteveMcClaire

RE: Vehicle speed and acceleration rates

Post by SteveMcClaire »

The CC engine does have a cap on vehicle speed -- it updates positions ten times a second, and there's a limit of 1 meter / update if I recall correctly - so 10m/s or about 36kph. If movement speed is allowed to go faster than this the CC engine makes it look jerky and the vehicles visually stutter / jump forward.

You definitely should be able to get up to that speed, though. My guess is that the tank is turning, which means it has to stop, given that CC vehicles don't turn and move forward at the same time except when the turn angle is very slight.

Steve
SchnelleMeyer

Post by SchnelleMeyer »

I guess there is a difference between CCMT and GtC - Because I am able to attain a speed of 60kph with an M1A2 Abrams tank in that engine... It runs well graphics wise too:)

How is it possible to attain 36kph in GtC ? - all I can get is about 9!

I did not just test this once or twice... - and all results where the vehicle was turning from its course were discounted so this is not the reason for the low speed.
SchnelleMeyer

Post by SchnelleMeyer »

Major BUG!!

More testing in WAR, TLD and COI reveals that :

1. Maximum speed for ANY vehicle under optimum conditions (Paved road) is 100m in 25 seconds = 100/25 = 4 meter/second *60*60 = 14400m/h = 14,4 kph  - Equal to just the speed of a running man! In comparison the real life max speed of a Panther on paved road is quoted at 55kph. - This is just way unrealistic!

- This bug has been transfered into PITF and GTC with changing maps scale to make it even worse: 
"Old" map scale was 5 pix/m vs 8 pix/m in Pitf and GtC.  

The max speed of 14,4kph translates like this to a map scaled to 8 Pix/m :
Speed pr pixel : 14,4kph : 8 = 1,8kph/px
Max speed for any vehicle in Pitf and GtC 1,8 x5 = 9kph 

Max speed of 9kph in Pitf and GtC is consistent with my game tests - So, how can this be deemed even remotely realistic Matrix?
It would certainly help if you can tell us how its possible to attain 36kph in this game?!

2. There is very little or no speed difference between vehicles of different types even though the acceleration and maxspeed data is different. How can this be?

SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

This is a limitation that has been in the CC engine forever, as your own testing shows. My quoted max speed was from memory, I haven't doubled checked the code, so it may indeed be pixel-related, and 14.4kph. But it is a design choice they made in the CC engine, so by definition it's not a bug. I could look at increasing this at some point, but it would not happen until other updates are scheduled, and the timing on that is unknown at the moment.

If CCMT is different there must have been a special change that was made to support faster vehicles. I would not be surprised if this were the case, but I haven't checked. If so this was done by Atomic for the initial USMC release, because I did not do it myself.

Steve
SchnelleMeyer

Post by SchnelleMeyer »

If there ever is an update to Gateway to Caen fixing the speed of vehicles should be on the list.

It might not have been a bug with the old map-scale, but I would call it one now as it should at least have been updated to the new mapscale.
The speed of vehicles like it is now is just very unrealistic. And there are a lot more ground to cover on the new maps too.

SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

SchnelleMeyer,

I will make a report in the bug DB to look at the pixels per / time and see if that needs to updated for the new scale.

Steve
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Good find/work SchnelleMeyer!!!

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”