Saloon Car?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

pad152

Saloon Car?

Post by pad152 »

I'm reading "Panzer Leader - The Memoir's of a Armoured Car Commander; 1944-1945 by Otto Henning", and several times he mentions seeing Saloon Cars, a term I've never heard before, it can mean either a railway car such as a sleeper/pullman or a sedan. I even found a web site calling AUDI A3's and BMW 3/5 series saloon cars?

So what would a Panzer Leader in the 1940's France likely call a Saloon Car (Train sleeper car or a Sedan)?

E

RE: Saloon Car?

Post by E »

I'd go with the car description. I rightly or wrongly equate the term "Saloon Car" with the 20s, so seeing one would seem to be something to remark on in the 40s. Unless he's attacking a train depot.
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Its an automobile. From the 20's through the 30's.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
british exil

Post by british exil »

Saloon car is british english, in american it would be a sedan.

Helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_%28automobile%29

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Do the British still use that term? I think its a specific style of car (British), but from the 20's-30's?
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
british exil

Post by british exil »

Yep. They do.

As well as estate car, hatchback, coupé, limousine.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

Return to “General Discussion”