Retiring the Beast

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

JEB Davis

Retiring the Beast

Post by JEB Davis »

My Win.XP PC is over 10 years old.
It can't run much of anything these days.
Time to replace it.

The replacement MUST run SP:WaW.

What do you guys have that runs it?

I want Windows 8.1 (not 10).
Does 64-bit work for the game?
How about Intel Core i5 vs. AMD A8 or A10?
What graphics cards work with the game?

I need help!!!
Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/
Kuokkanen

RE: Retiring the Beast

Post by Kuokkanen »

As far as I know, only serious problem with SPWAW is with Windows 7, where colours are wrong. There is fix for that. With Windows 8, you should only need the game itself.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Alby

Post by Alby »

I had the Artillery BUG thingy with windows 8

Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Alby

I had the Artillery BUG thingy with windows 8
I have no experience about that. Major Mess' installation package supposedly has some fix for it. Does it help? Or am I mixing up things? For me SPWAW works almost flawlessly on my Win7 (with the gfx fix I mentioned earlier). No serious issues.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
freddiefly

Post by freddiefly »

I have the Artillery bug on both Win 8 and now Win 10. The fix that I saw seems to have been taken down as no longer effective.
The game works fine other than this, which ( Unfortunately) is effectively a killer for me.
freddiefly

Post by freddiefly »

I just installed the SPWAW ENH-FR ver 1.1 package, this also suffers from the Artillery bug making the game unplayable in Win 10 64bit.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Could someone explain to me the 'artillery bug' please?

MekWars
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

When on the artillery screen, the GUI doesn't work right. The buttons are very hard to activate as does clicking on the map in this screen.
It seems that you have to click on exactly the center pixel of the button/hex graphic.

Holding down the shift key while left clicking sorta helps.
Using Riitoaja's *.cmd file helps if you are using a dual-core processor. (this works fine for me)
Multi-core processors have a tougher time.

This bug only really shows it's face on the Artillery Screen, but it is sometimes noticed on the other screens.
It is a huge pain-in-the-ass and is probably the one reason why more people can't enjoy this game on any modern machine.

MM
Click below. You know you want to!!

sami heimola

Post by sami heimola »

Most disturbing part of artillery bug is difficulties from leaving menu[:@]... It will last forever (at least some minutes).
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I have Core i5 with Windows 7. I just gave test run for SPWAW with Win7 colour fix. My only serious complaint is mouse cursor keeps disappearing but shows (only) when I move the damn thing. And that's not limited just to the arty screen. Otherwise arty screen seems to work for me as it should.

MekWars
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

I get the sense that this issue is a real hit or miss thing. Different computer configurations give different results. Makes it kinda tough to sort out.

I'm back to trying a few tests using DxWnd and it's features. On the later builds there is an Optimize CPU switch that seems to work as well as Riitoaja's .cmd fix on my machine.
I'd still like to sort out some of the settings, then .....

I think I need to convince someone with a quad-core machine and having arty problems to try it.
Someone that's willing to do a bit of trouble-shooting.
At the same time I'll start a dialogue with the programmer. He seems real eager to find and apply game fixes, so I'll give that a go.

That's in the new year, big things coming up right now which is keeping me busy.

Stay tuned.

cheers

MM

sami heimola

Post by sami heimola »

Hmm is that "programmer" Matrix/Slitherine's or some other programmer? I'm just curious[;)]... It could be nice to get finally that art bug fixed, no matter whoever programmer he is.
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

ORIGINAL: sami heimola

Hmm is that "programmer" Matrix/Slitherine's or some other programmer? I'm just curious[;)]... It could be nice to get finally that art bug fixed, no matter whoever programmer he is.

That would be the DxWnd dude.

I believe if even I personally flew to London and dropped a big pile of cash on Iain whathisname's desk I would get nothing more than the bum's rush from them. (I'm p sure the cash would stay, somehow)

They are not interested, this is not in their Corporate Strategy to fix and re-release a legacy product. Even a minor fix on the Frickin' Game that started Matrix in the first place.
They bought Matrix for other purposes. Getting people to buy buggy incomplete programs must be icing on the cake for them. Truly.

Soooooooo, we find another way.

MM

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”