Question About The Screen Command

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

tsmit118

Question About The Screen Command

Post by tsmit118 »

I just bought this game after debating it with myself for what seemed like forever, and I'm super glad I did. I played the scenario Eyes, Ears, and Teeth as the Soviets and did reasonably well against the 'Muricans, but my recon units had a nasty habit of standing toe to toe with superior forces and getting smoked.

I thought giving units the 'screen' order would cause them to withdraw when the enemy got too close. I watched time and time again as small groups of BRDM-2s held their ground against multiple platoons of M1s and M2s, two or three hexes away. They were within hq command range and had high readiness but Instead of getting the heck out of there, they vanished under glorious sheets of flame over a couple command cycles.

Am I using the screen order wrong? Why don't the recon units pull back to their preferred standoff range, or is that not how the screen order works?
Noypi53

RE: Question About The Screen Command

Post by Noypi53 »

ORIGINAL: tsmit118

I just bought this game after debating it with myself for what seemed like forever, and I'm super glad I did. I played the scenario Eyes, Ears, and Teeth as the Soviets and did reasonably well against the 'Muricans, but my recon units had a nasty habit of standing toe to toe with superior forces and getting smoked.

I thought giving units the 'screen' order would cause them to withdraw when the enemy got too close. I watched time and time again as small groups of BRDM-2s held their ground against multiple platoons of M1s and M2s, two or three hexes away. They were within hq command range and had high readiness but Instead of getting the heck out of there, they vanished under glorious sheets of flame over a couple command cycles.

Am I using the screen order wrong? Why don't the recon units pull back to their preferred standoff range, or is that not how the screen order works?

Hi! I'm as much a noob as you on this game. I did notice that my units would go into Screen mode if you gave them that order before the start of the 1st turn. If my units were in another order mode & issued a Screen order in one of the later turns, it took awhile (15-30 minutes of game time) before they began executing it (assuming the units were still alive [:(] ). Am also looking forward to comments on this from more experienced players of this game.
budd

RE: Question About The Screen Command

Post by budd »

It's been a difficult issue for them to balance. Initially people complained they scooted too quickly, good concealment terrain, a couple of shots at them and they bolted [ i was one of these complaining people[;)]] then they patched them to hang in longer and they were dying fast in place. the last patch brought us to where we are now, better, but not all the way right in my opinion. these are my impressions, if an enemy unit enters your units standoff range it will scoot ok but say the stand off range is 7 and your getting shot at from 13 hexes well my impression is your gonna die. I think unless your readiness drops, units don't seem to scoot well when taking fire from beyond standoff range. The scoot and the orders delay may have to wait until the next game with expanded orders before these things will get to where they want them. Their great at supporting their product and responding to the community. If you see things you think are an issue, screenshots and saves will help them.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Return to “The War Room”