Has anyone taken Voronezh?

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

Der Kuenstler

Has anyone taken Voronezh?

Post by Der Kuenstler »

I'm a new player to this series and have started with trying to win the "Voronezh" scenario. After my fourth try on easy I can only get a minor German loss. Has anyone gotten a German victory? If it's not possible I'll just move on to another scenario.
"The Führer believes that this campaign will be over by autumn...I hope the Führer is right." Field-Marshal Walther von Reichenau, 1941

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
jimkehn

RE: Has anyone taken Voronezh?

Post by jimkehn »

Havent played that one yet Kuenstler. I started with Kharkov and its been a nailbiter. I am not sure if I wanna dive into the big cahoona or play Voronezh first. Hope you are enjoying the game as much as I am. The card system sure puts a new twist on things, eh?
jimkehn

Post by jimkehn »

BTW, Kuenstler, I have a PBEM Challenge up with no password required if you wanna give PBEM a go
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

Ah...finally took Voronezh tonight for a Major victory - the trick is just go totally for Voronezh and keep your flanks strong!

Thanks for the offer Jim, I'll keep that in mind - still want to learn the basics first...
"The Führer believes that this campaign will be over by autumn...I hope the Führer is right." Field-Marshal Walther von Reichenau, 1941

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Chernobyl

Post by Chernobyl »

Trying out the scenario for my very first DC game. Middle of the turn on 6 July. Easy difficulty.

UPDATE: I failed. I made it to the hex next to Voronezh but my units there had too few action points to rout the defending militia.
jimkehn

Post by jimkehn »

I took it....on the very last turn using 24th and 9th pzr XX's and elements of the third MOT

Shame there isn't more activity here....this is a great game.
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

ORIGINAL: Liebestod

Trying out the scenario for my very first DC game. Middle of the turn on 6 July. Easy difficulty.

UPDATE: I failed. I made it to the hex next to Voronezh but my units there had too few action points to rout the defending militia.

Interesting - when I got there nothing was defending it.

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
MikeBrough

Post by MikeBrough »

This is the scenario I've done most of my practicing on. I've beaten it a few times now, mostly by holding in the north (with a few reserves) and shifting most of my armour to the south.

The AI is very good. You have to push your tanks and motorised infantry straight at Voronezh - too tentative and the Russians will try to cut off your spearheads. You have to reaaaalllllyyyy stretch them.
Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Be sceptical of the things you believe are false; be very sceptical of the things you believe are true.
Chernobyl

Post by Chernobyl »

Finally did it after three tries. Voronezh itself was defended by a strong garrison and I had to completely surround the hex, wait a turn for their supplies to run out (correct me if I am wrong but this is how it seems to work), and then attack with +100% flanking bonus and a large force.

The AI let me have a lot of the Voronezh suburbs for free which was a mistake. It would have been impossible for me to take the city if they had set up a proper defense.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”