Important issue: 18th army and 4th Pz Group misplaced

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

Important issue: 18th army and 4th Pz Group misplaced

Post by Iñaki Harrizabalagatar »

Hi
This is not a nitpicking.
In the initial positions 18th Army and 4th Pz Group are placed behind the Niemen river, but in fact they were placed beyond the river Niemen, with the city port of Memel as thier center of operations. Remember Memel was taken from Lithuania by Nazi Germany in march 1939.
This is important because the entire line of operations of AGN in the game is wrong, 18th Army has to cross the Niemen and slowly advance from Tilsit and usually 4th Pz Group is forced to take the route through Kaunas, but historically both 18th Army and 4th Pz Group were already accross the Niemen at the start, so they had a direct line of advance to Riga and Jakobstadt/Dunaburg respectively. Thus, 4th Pz Group was across the Dvina river by June 26th (that would end of first turn/start of the 2nd in game terms.
ChuckBerger

RE: Important issue: 18th army and 4th Pz Group misplaced

Post by ChuckBerger »

Update to version 1.01. This has been fixed.
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

I did update to v 1.01 but it hasn´t been corrected
etsadler

Post by etsadler »

For clarity, are you saying that you feel all the units of those two armies should start the game north of the Nieman?
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

Yes, the whole of the 18th Army and 4th Pz Group were beyong the Niemen at the start of Barbarossa, you can see it, for instance, in the maps of Brian Taylor´s Barbarossa to Berlin.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

I happen to be rereading Lost Victories and Manny states that 3 Motor was south of the river while 8th panzer and a infantry division made the initial assault for 56 Panzer Corps.
ChuckBerger

Post by ChuckBerger »

OK, I've a look around and I agree with original poster. http://www.armchairgeneral.com/rkkaww2/ ... e21_41.jpg and most other maps clear show most of 4PG starting north of the Niemen, and advancing straight on Jakobsburg & Dvinsk, not having to fight through Kaunas as in this game.

It's not a huge deal, but probably shaves a turn off the advance of 4PG, which in this game already usually gets to Leningrad ahead of schedule...

lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi,

We'll take a look at it.

Cheers,
Cameron
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

When the game first came out I noticed a map mistake concerning Memel and Memelland. It was mostly corrected (v1.01). I asked for 4 hexes and got 3. I didn't want to push it too far with the developers, but I agree with the original poster as well.

I've been watching the AAR's that involve human players on both sides (ex, Michael T and Flavius), and it seems the Soviets are able to keep the Germans from Leningrad far past the time it was attacked by Germany in real life. Shaving one turn from PG4 in this game actually IS a huge deal. I favor a further map correction and correct placement of historical units.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Agreed. All for accuracy as things should be at the start of the campaign (give me realistic tank numbers darn it[;)])
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”