Returning air groups to correct mission from rest

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

Phleem

Returning air groups to correct mission from rest

Post by Phleem »

Hi all,

I am finding the process of switching air groups in and out of rest state very clumsy, even using the Commander's Report filters and mission settings commands.

Going into rest is very easy and efficient using the filter for 0-60 morale, and then setting all those group to "rest" with the mission setting control.

The problem is when you are moving air groups out of rest you have to look and see if they should be night only or day/night. Several of the air HQs have a mix of Day/Night and Night/Only, and what I'm doing now is sorting all groups by morale and then scanning down looking for resting groups with morale > 60 and setting them back to DN or NO individually. Does anyone have any advice for the least clumsy way to put your resting units back into action?

Thanks.
szmike

RE: Returning air groups to correct mission from rest

Post by szmike »

1. Set all aircraft filtered by type or command to DN or night/day only
2. Filter morale <X groups and set them to rest.

Some missions only occur at day or night so DN setting doesn't matter then.
Phleem

Post by Phleem »

Thanks for the reply, but you are describing how to set air groups to rest, which as I note in my original post is easy. It is setting them back that I have trouble with. I don't want to set my Night Fighters in any groups or all of RAF BC to DN I don't think, do I?
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

You can as long as they are assigned ADs that take place only at night. You can also filter by command (RAF BC for example) or by aircraft type (NF) before changing the mission types.
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

Follow these steps:

1. Filter so you are only displaying air groups with morale 1 to 69 (or whatever other range you want).
2. Set Mission to "Rest"
3. Filter so you are now displaying air groups with morale 70 to 99.
4. Set Mission to Day and Night.
5. Click on NF so that you are now only displaying only your NFs with morale of 70 to 99 (all of which will have been set to "D/N" by step 4 above).
6. Now set mission to "Night Only".
7. Clear All Filters.

You should now have all your air groups at 1 to 69 morale set to "Rest"; all of your NFs with morale 70 to 99 set to "NO" and all of you other air groups with morale 70 to 99 set to "D/N". The whole process will take less than 30 seconds.

I realize you are already doing steps 1 and 2; not sure from your post if you are doing steps 3 and 4.
Robert Harris
szmike

Post by szmike »

ORIGINAL: Phleem

Thanks for the reply, but you are describing how to set air groups to rest, which as I note in my original post is easy. It is setting them back that I have trouble with. I don't want to set my Night Fighters in any groups or all of RAF BC to DN I don't think, do I?

Nope, you first set them up how you want them (inluding those already resting), only then set chosen groups to rest. All others are then already set.
Phleem

Post by Phleem »

Ah, I see what you mean. So basically what Harrybannana said, but if you set the NFs and everything else first, then you don't have to use the high morale filter to get them off rest. So this:

1. Everything to DN
2. All NFs to NO
3. Filter to morale less then 60 (or whatever), and set to RS

Something like that is exactly what i was hoping for.

Also, I noticed that Harrybanna described his version of this in his most excellent posts titled "Decisively Beating the AI" in the AAR forum. There are answers to other questions I was going to ask, including "How many units should I transfer from England to the Med?" and "What should I do with this huge pile of airplanes in England?"

cato12

Post by cato12 »

How do I set the filter so it only displays groups with 0-60 morale?
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

At the bottom is a filter that says umm...morale. (or something like that) Maybe pct morale.

Anyways...click on it and you get a text box. Type in 0.

Then you get another one...type in 60

Now it is filtering showing only 0..60 range for morale.

I think it came in a fairly early patch, so if you are running the vanilla game, you wont see the filter
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

How about adding a way to change mission setting from FB-F to FB in the CR report??
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

How about adding a way to change mission setting from FB-F to FB in the CR report??

It is already possible by clicking on FB(-F) on the Type row.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
SeaJunk

Post by SeaJunk »

It would be nice if morale could be included in the air doctrine as a two value parameter.
Squadrons would fly until morale hit the low value then rest until they hit the high value.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Actually there is a way to do that in the Air Doctrine screen...just not directly.

Morale loss to a squadron is related to how many planes are damaged and destroyed.

It is probably also effected by how many enemy planes they shoot down/destroy.

For bombers...this ratio is always in favour of the enemy fighters/flak.

In the Air Doctrine screen...under the mission of your choice...you can change the Pct Fly number.

This is the percentage of planes (per squadron) that must be available before they can be selected to fly this mission. Change the value to something high...like 80%. Now if you suffer damage/losses...those planes will no longer fly, and will not have lost a lot of morale.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Another point would be that air group mileage allowance is function of morale, so if morale drops - air unit flies less.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

Return to “The War Room”