War in the East 2 Wishlist

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

LiquidSky

RE: War in the East 2 Wishlist

Post by LiquidSky »

It is not really a lot of micromanagement. Once it is all organized, you hardly ever have to move the squadrons about, and you can think of them just as a big HQ that can do certain missions.

In fact, I would say it is similar to SU management in WiTE. I spent a lot of time moving them about to get them where I want...then I am done. Every once in a few turns I will move some....but I basically know what army has what.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

It's taken some time to get comfortable with the air system in WITW but have to say I like the improvements and look forward to that being put into play in WITE 2.0
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

ORIGINAL: chaos45

Well after recently starting to play WiTW after playing WiTE on and off for years.....I guess im the only person that doesnt like the new air system???

Its an ungodly amount of additional micromanagement in the game and frankly I havent enjoyed it much after messing with it this last weekend. I figured this would be the case from reading AARs and why i had already delayed purchasing the game.

If WiTE 2.0 is all about micromanaging the airforces of each side I will have no interest in purchasing it just saying.

To me at this level and scale of game the airforces should be abit more abstract than managing every single airsquadron and where its located and what its doing and if its resting and how many missions its flying...absolutely ridiculous amount of micro management each turn for the player. An yes its something you have to mess with every turn to get the most out of your air forces.

Maybe im the only one that doenst enjoy it, but its doubtful I bet other players have the same annoyance over it. Also saying the AI can do it, well we've seen the criminal incompetence of the AI trying to manage the air war for you in the AARs.

I have played the older air war games-bombing of the Reich an such and they were alright but criminally boring and slow to play due to the AI taking forever to play a turn. It seems to me all you did was import those into what used to be more of a ground war emphasized game.

Would prefer more abstract air war, or an option for such. As I dont want to manage an air campaign every turn I play and deal with logistics, SU, HQ management, and determining what I want to do with all of my ground units again just saying.

An if this every goes to war in europe type scale good luck finding anyone with the time to play such an unmanageable game with this way to much detail. Option needs to be added for abstract air war not incompetent AI managed air war. Such as just a general air superiority level, or air points to commit for different actions or some such....this managing every single recon air squadron is just a step to far in detail and time consuming game play IMO....not to mention the length of time it takes the AI to run the phases. Especially with the thousands upon thousands of planes and hundreds or squadrons involved.....

Its great you decided to add this to the game shows some commitment to detail but not everyone is interested in this level of detail and time needing to be consumed to play the game.

Seriously, stick with it. Once you have the air forces as you like them, I find it is a little switching of sqds to 'rest' and back (the filters and selection tools are great here), and then go though the ADs (<20) and retargeting them (and not all need this every turn), or possibly switching them off.

So much more realistic for not that much more effort. Stick at it - you will view WitE as kindergarten stuff after you get used to this. If you want a smaller game, Torch is great (38 turns, only about 1/2-1 million men a side)
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

Agree with the others regarding the air war (and WITW in general). The first turn is a long tedious slog to get all your air units organized and with the proper chain of command but after that there are just a handful of actions you need to take each turn (set AD, rest units, manual upgrades).

At first I didn't enjoy WITW nearly as much as WITE but after my 2nd GC of WITW I doubt I will play another WITE game until WITE 2 comes out. WITW is a much more polished and realistic product (logistics, air war, weather, victory points etc.).
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

Agree with the others regarding the air war (and WITW in general). The first turn is a long tedious slog to get all your air units organized and with the proper chain of command but after that there are just a handful of actions you need to take each turn (set AD, rest units, manual upgrades).

At first I didn't enjoy WITW nearly as much as WITE but after my 2nd GC of WITW I doubt I will play another WITE game until WITE 2 comes out. WITW is a much more polished and realistic product (logistics, air war, weather, victory points etc.).

I'd very much agree with this, for a while I took the view that WiTW was interesting, a useful stepping stone in the evolution of the design but it lacked the scale and sweep of WiTE.

I now think it is simply a far better game, things that frustrate (a lot) in WiTE have been sorted out.

Not least played with the Allies, the situation makes it easier for an AI Germany to give you a good game without having to crank things up and still play with considerable restraint.

as to the air war, as with others, its a bit akin to managing support units in WiTE. Put in some early effort to get into an order that makes sense to you and its then a bit of early turn admin. Every now and then you need to rip up your templates and re-organise but its not something you need to do turn after turn. The tools with the recent patches, once you start making use of them, really eases the admin burden.
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

Ya I played through most of torch---still think it requires abit to much micromanagement. To each their own.
cmunson

Post by cmunson »

It is not really a lot of micromanagement. Once it is all organized, you hardly ever have to move the squadrons about, and you can think of them just as a big HQ that can do certain missions.

Agree with loki100 and others. I was like you at first chaos45. Once you get the hang of the interface it adds a dimension I can't imagine doing without. As the Germans in the 43 campaign managing the Luftwaffe gives so much more depth to the German players experience and this from a player whose only Grigsby game never purchased is Bombing the Reich.

I am a 40 year war gamer and the air war has always been abstracted in games like this so I think my instinct was to resent when it suddenly wasn't abstracted. I hope you keep playing.
Chris
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I don't have WitW; one of the main things I didn't like about WitE was the opaque and convoluted combat engine--has that changed at all in WitW, and are any further changes anticipated for WitE?
KWG

Post by KWG »

The ability to abandon equipment to increase movement, due to lack of fuel/undamaged vehicles.
"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I don't have WitW; one of the main things I didn't like about WitE was the opaque and convoluted combat engine--has that changed at all in WitW, and are any further changes anticipated for WitE?

It has changed but perhaps not as much as you may like. Not sure on WitE2 yet.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
rsunley

Post by rsunley »

If I had one wish for WitE2 it would be the ability to bomb enemy rail hexes or capacity. A glaring omission in the game IMHO, not sure if it is in WitW as I haven't got around to trying it out as yet.

Regards
Ralph
cmunson

Post by cmunson »

Yes, you can bomb rail yards and rail lines both in WitW.
Chris
kosmoface

Post by kosmoface »

I hope for: Metrical Measurement.

I greatly miss this in WiTW.
KWG

Post by KWG »

AMERICANS- we would not know how far it was to Berlin or how much gas we have left.
kosmoface

Post by kosmoface »

ORIGINAL: KWG

AMERICANS- we would not know how far it was to Berlin or how much gas we have left.
[:D] Just make it an option then.
smartspick

Post by smartspick »

ORIGINAL: rsunley

If I had one wish for WitE2 it would be the ability to bomb enemy rail hexes or capacity. A glaring omission in the game IMHO, not sure if it is in WitW as I haven't got around to trying it out as yet.

Regards
Ralph

I would like that feature but honestly strategic bombing was never an issue on the eastern front like it was on the west. It was all tactical air-power.
KWG

Post by KWG »

ORIGINAL: smartspick

ORIGINAL: rsunley

Regards
Ralph

I would like that feature but honestly strategic bombing was never an issue on the eastern front like it was on the west. It was all tactical air-power.

That is also under tactical airpower- ground attack missions. Lots of flexibility in the game's airwar as in real world.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”