[FIXED v1.11] Tanker Request

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mini_Von

[FIXED v1.11] Tanker Request

Post by Mini_Von »

Devs,

Would it possible to add a Side Doctrine/ROE to "Ignore Bingo Fuel"?

Right now, If I set the side doctrine to "Use Refuel/Unrep" [never] then my aircraft RTB at a 50% fuel load. If I set the side doctrine to "Use Refuel/Unrep" [always] then I seem to have to many aircraft running for the tankers at once "tanker chaos".

I would love to be able to micro manage my Air Refuelling a little better. Like let my aircraft burn 75% fuel before I hit the tanker and then ingress to the target.

Thanks,
Rob
michaelm75au

RE: Tanker Request

Post by michaelm75au »

If code ignores BINGO, then you are at risk of planes dropping from sky if you forget to check them.
Michael
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

I agree with refueling micromanagement as well. Telling when the jet should refuel, either lack of range to RTB, or refuel before direct engage. But it will definitely involved with lots of priority scripting for such of feature.
Aivlis

Post by Aivlis »

I would appreciate being able to switch this on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes the code does force an RTB too early, because it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) to check only on current tanker locations. This makes it ignore tankers that are en route and will be available to the Bingo A/C.

I've run into this problem recently when playing Canary Cage, while trying to extend the range of F-18s based in Spain, they would either RTB too soon (set to never refuel) or try to reach tankers that were flying behind them (when allowed to refuel). I realize making the game check for predicted tanker positions is just adding computational load and may be grossly inaccurate in some cases, so maybe a manual toggle could solve these edge-cases?
ppitm

Post by ppitm »

Yes, scenarios with tankers are usually pure hell. Aircraft make unfathomable decisions about when and where to refuel.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: ppitm

Yes, scenarios with tankers are usually pure hell. Aircraft make unfathomable decisions about when and where to refuel.

They do alright considering the complexity of the ask. We're looking at ways to improve this.

Mike
JPFisher55

Post by JPFisher55 »

I would simply like to designate which tanker an individual or group of a/c uses to refuel. This would permit micromanaging when necessary, but not make it mandatory to prevent fuel outages.

Maybe being able to override bingo fuel status would help in some situations. You cannot have planes go on missions that require more than one refueling stop because the AI has the plane go bingo if it cannot reach home base on the fuel
that it contains. The AI ignores any tankers between its location and home base for this calculation.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

They do alright considering the complexity of the ask. We're looking at ways to improve this.

Mike

Don't spoil the hyperbole party, Mike.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

So, I assume that you are now going to post your problem cases on the tech support subforum, one thread per issue, describing your issue in detail, and providing a save file for each issue. Correct?
Mini_Von

Post by Mini_Von »

ORIGINAL: JPFisher55

I would simply like to designate which tanker an individual or group of a/c uses to refuel. This would permit micromanaging when necessary, but not make it mandatory to prevent fuel outages.

That is also a good idea.

I don't Expect the refueling AI to be able to adapt to any situation, there are to many variables. IMHO giving the player the tools to manually decide when and where refueling takes place would be the most helpful.
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

ORIGINAL: Mini_Von

Devs,

Would it possible to add a Side Doctrine/ROE to "Ignore Bingo Fuel"?

Right now, If I set the side doctrine to "Use Refuel/Unrep" [never] then my aircraft RTB at a 50% fuel load. If I set the side doctrine to "Use Refuel/Unrep" [always] then I seem to have to many aircraft running for the tankers at once "tanker chaos".

I would love to be able to micro manage my Air Refuelling a little better. Like let my aircraft burn 75% fuel before I hit the tanker and then ingress to the target.

Thanks,
Rob

This has been fixed in Command v1.11. The aircraft will hit the target rather than turning around for a last drink. Same when heading home to base.

Could you post a few savegames that have these issues and we'll confirm that they are indeed gonne.

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

ORIGINAL: Aivlis

I would appreciate being able to switch this on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes the code does force an RTB too early, because it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) to check only on current tanker locations. This makes it ignore tankers that are en route and will be available to the Bingo A/C.

The ability to override this setting at mission launch will be included in 1.11. However it is a very risky thing.
ORIGINAL: Aivlis
I've run into this problem recently when playing Canary Cage, while trying to extend the range of F-18s based in Spain, they would either RTB too soon (set to never refuel) or try to reach tankers that were flying behind them (when allowed to refuel). I realize making the game check for predicted tanker positions is just adding computational load and may be grossly inaccurate in some cases, so maybe a manual toggle could solve these edge-cases?

Can you post a savegame showing this, and we'll check it with the 1.11 code. Thanks!

ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Added 1.11. You can manually select the tanker (for one tanking) or limit automatic selection of tankers to those on a specific mission.
Maybe being able to override bingo fuel status would help in some situations. You cannot have planes go on missions that require more than one refueling stop because the AI has the plane go bingo if it cannot reach home base on the fuel
that it contains. The AI ignores any tankers between its location and home base for this calculation.

I believe this is fixed in 1.11 also. Could you post a savegame for verification?

Thanks!

ComDev

Post by ComDev »

ORIGINAL: Mini_Von

That is also a good idea.

I don't Expect the refueling AI to be able to adapt to any situation, there are to many variables. IMHO giving the player the tools to manually decide when and where refueling takes place would be the most helpful.

Command v1.11 should also allow you to configure missions to only look for tankers assigned to specific missions, within a certain distance (50nm, 100nm, etc). If you have any further thoughts please post up. The more detail the better. Thanks!

Mini_Von

Post by Mini_Von »

Hi Emsoy,

Here is a game that I was playing last night. I didn't set the aircraft to attack any targets yet. I made a mission to "Form Up" after takeoff and assigned a few aircraft. The aircraft initially headed towards the mission area and then aborted and automatically started heading for the tanker with around a 50% fuel load. I wish we could manually postpone running for the tanker until our aircraft are routed to the area of our choosing (within fuel parameters).

I realize that my game was not optimized such as having the aircraft fly at a high enough altitude to reduce fuel burn. My tanker track may have been a little to far away, but I was prepared to adjust it. I was just casually playing and had that "wouldn't it be helpful if" moment, and thought a little manual control over my aircraft might be helpful.

Thanks
Attachments
Problem.zip
(111.99 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Guys are working on it. Its a tough issue.

Thanks

Mike
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: Sunburn
ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Mike

Don't spoil the hyperbole party, Mike.

Tis the season [;)]
JPFisher55

Post by JPFisher55 »

Sounds like 1.11 will resolve most or all of the refueling/ tanker issues. In the past, I did not post a saved game file in which an aircraft attempting a very long range mission with more than one refueling stop would bingo fuel when it could barely reach its home base on internal fuel. I didn't consider it a bug to report.

After 1.11 is released, I'll post saved games with any noticeable refueling issues. Thanks to the developers for the attention to this aspect of a great game.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Sounds like 1.11 will resolve most or all of the refueling/ tanker issues. In the past, I did not post a saved game file in which an aircraft attempting a very long range mission with more than one refueling stop would bingo fuel when it could barely reach its home base on internal fuel. I didn't consider it a bug to report.

After 1.11 is released, I'll post saved games with any noticeable refueling issues. Thanks to the developers for the attention to this aspect of a great game.

Appreciate the help. Thanks!

Mike
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Thanks guys, we'll take a look at the attached savefile [8D]

Return to “Tech Support”