What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Riitaoja

RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers?

Post by Riitaoja »

ORIGINAL: sami heimola

Alby, yes I know but if I would like to listening music (mp3 files for example) during game, SPWAW sounds will "cover" music quite effective way because loss of any volume knob... And I like to hear both at same time (but SPWAW's sounds bit lower if any way possible in background).

In Windows 7 you can adjust the volume of any program that is running individualy from the speaker icon in the task bar (Volume Mixer).
EDIT Disregard this sentence: However from doing a quick Google search it would appear that Microsoft decided to remove this feature from Windows 10. [&:]

Attachments
SPWAW_volume_mixer.jpg
SPWAW_volume_mixer.jpg (6.81 KiB) Viewed 522 times
Alby

Post by Alby »

I have some little speaker thingy on my task bar, that when I click on it, brings up a menu with all kinds of adjustments now
WIN 10

sami heimola

Post by sami heimola »

Problem is that if I set Win 10's speaker volume lower, Winamp (mp3) goes lower too. But game's sound level is still high and boom/tank movement sounds (for example) will cover Winamp background music (mp3). At least IMHO. I just tested (Winamp had highest volume, Win 10's speaker volume set into 50%). Anyway, I can live with this but seems to be quite difficult set both sounds to be "equal" without volume knob in game...
Riitaoja

Post by Riitaoja »

Try this:
Launch SPWAW and then alt+tab to get back to windows desktop. Now right click on the speaker icon and select volume mixer. There should be a volume slider for Steel Panthers World at War there. When you lower the volume on the Steel Panthers World at War slider it lowers the sound volume of only the game keeping your mp3, etc at normal volume levels.
sami heimola

Post by sami heimola »

Hmm I launched SPWAW and pressed alt+tab. When I used right button on speaker icon, I got only these "laite", "sovellukset", "mozilla" and Winamp song title. No SPWAW at all[8|]...

edit:Hey I found SPWAW there too[:D]... It was just bit in "hiding place"[;)]. Ok now everything is all right!
Case closed.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Riitaoja

Try this:
Launch SPWAW and then alt+tab to get back to windows desktop. Now right click on the speaker icon and select volume mixer. There should be a volume slider for Steel Panthers World at War there. When you lower the volume on the Steel Panthers World at War slider it lowers the sound volume of only the game keeping your mp3, etc at normal volume levels.
Did someone just say that won't work on Windows 10?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Alby

Post by Alby »

If I alt/Tab out of spwaw on win 10, I cant get back to the game, or anything really
have to restart PC

Riitaoja

Post by Riitaoja »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: Riitaoja

Try this:
Did someone just say that won't work on Windows 10?

It was a misunderstanding on my part. I am still running Windows 7 and I used Google to see how the volume mixer works in Windows 10. (edited post # 61)

ORIGINAL: Alby

If I alt/Tab out of spwaw on win 10, I cant get back to the game, or anything really
have to restart PC

I don't think that is normal. Are you using the Windows 7 color fix by NCrawler by any chance? That fix kills explorer.exe and would break alt+tabing. It is not needed on Windows 10.

If you are starting the game from a CMD file open it with Notepad and make sure there is no line like this in it:
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
Alby

Post by Alby »

NO sir I launch the game from the standard Mech.exe
But I need to clarify
I can alt/tab the game down to the task bar, but when I bring it back up, its just black screen and I can do nothing

sami heimola

Post by sami heimola »

For those who had same problem: If you open speaker menu by right click, you must "browse" menu into right direction to find SPWAW (at least in my Win 10 case). Otherwise you don't see it at all though it's there;)... Naturally SPWAW must be launched before checking speaker menu.
Riitaoja

Post by Riitaoja »

ORIGINAL: Alby

NO sir I launch the game from the standard Mech.exe
But I need to clarify
I can alt/tab the game down to the task bar, but when I bring it back up, its just black screen and I can do nothing

Hmmm... Might be some sort of DirectX issue then. Running the game through the DxWnd program could help.
Alby

Post by Alby »

Ill give it a shot

surfcandy

Post by surfcandy »

Based on the popularity of this game I would say it would be a big seller. I think it only needs upgraded graphics to match current monitors and video cards.Keep the game as is and show better battle effects and unit detail like soldier units, tanks, explosions,even hits on AFVs.
DrkCon

Post by DrkCon »

I sure would love a remake. Most everyone else already listed features or key concepts I'd like to see, so, instead I'll just pile on with a hearty "Me too!"

And thanks!
fmonster

Post by fmonster »

Man, it has been a LONG time since I stuck my head in here, and what do I find? A possible upgrade to SP:WaW? Wow! Now I haven't fired up SP in a couple of years so it hasn't been on my mind, but seeing this made me fire up the old girl again. INSTANTLY, the game drew me in like it always did. By far and away my favorite war game, bar none!

I would add, from just playing a couple of hours, that I would love a makeover but leave the "innards" as close as they are now. Graphics and modern computer resolutions as well as OS compatibility is the most that I can say. If it comes close to what we have, it will be an insta-buy,... no matter what the cost!! [:D]
Matrix Games Owned

- American Civil War
- Forge Of Freedom
- John Tiller's Campaign Series
- TOAW III
- War In The Pacific
- War In The Pacific AE
- War Plan Orange
- SP:WaW
- Brother Against Brother
- Carriers at War
Nihon Rikugun

Post by Nihon Rikugun »

I'm still around too! Count me in as being FIRED UP for a new shiny spwaw! Got my buddies all fired up too, being old ASL guys.

And don't forget, You die, maline!
JEB Davis

Post by JEB Davis »

ORIGINAL: fmonster
... I would add, from just playing a couple of hours, that I would love a makeover but leave the "innards" as close as they are now. ...

+1
Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

Just a few more thoughts.

How about expanding the time frame to just prior to the introduction of TOW missiles, let's say a range from 1930 to 1959 or so.
Introduce a few new Nations in to the game. The Viet Minh/NVA, South Vietnam, S/Korea and the Norks come to mind, Israel-Egypt-Syria-the rest of that Arab mob, Generic "Freedom Fighters" and bundle up some Regional Players (like, let's say Pathet Lao, Khymer Rouge et al ) in seperate OOB's or something. I dunno.

What do you think? Sherman's and PZIV's were still rockin' into the sixties.

That's all I got for right now.

Major Mess
Click below. You know you want to!!

Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Major Mess

What do you think? Sherman's and PZIV's were still rockin' into the sixties.
Don't forget T-34
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Don't forget T-34

Oh I did, and I shouldn't have.
There was all sorts of Sov machinery that lasted ........ and StuG's too!!

MM
Click below. You know you want to!!

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”