Ode To AIW Terrain and Counters Mod

Moderator: Jason Petho

Crossroads

Ode To AIW Terrain and Counters Mod

Post by Crossroads »

Ode To AIW Terrain and Counters Mod (2D Zoom-In View Only)

As detailed in Let's Build Avalon Hill's Arab-Israeli Wars How-To-Mod storyboard, here's the mod I did there as an example available to try out in the game.

Download, Unzip, and place the "Avalon Hill Arab-Israeli Wars Mod" folder into your /Mods folder, in my installation:

[font="Courier New"]C:\Matrix Games\Campaign Series Middle East\mods[/font]

...in a similar manner as here:

Then, enable using JSGME:

Not familiar with JSGME? For a brief instruction on how to activate the mod, have a look at the JSGME mod enabler how-to guide HERE

Download available by clicking at the "Attachment" below. Enjoy!

6/22/2016: Included in 1.02 UPDATE - Just launch JSGME to enable!
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Crossroads

RE: Ode To AIW Terrain and Counters Mod

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

... to enjoy this terrain and unit mod better I quickly put together three scenarios loosely based on the original AIW situations:
Situation B-1 Bir Gifgafa

November 2, 1956: En route to the Suez Canal, the Israeli 7th
Armored Brigade is intercepted by the Egyptian 1st Armored Brigade.
Situation S-4 Jenin

June 6, 1967: The Jordanian 25th Infantry Brigade and 12th Independent Tank Battalion defend Jenin against an attack by the Israeli Peled Division.
Situation S-12 Marjayou

Some Time In Future: An Israeli Armored Brigade advances into Lebanon opposed by an Arab force of Syrians, Palestinians, and Lebanese.

The last AIW situation, published in 1977 when AIW came out, got some attention later in 1982 as the actual Israeli intervention into Lebanon followed this situation pretty much to the letter... Wonder what wargames the IDF staff had played at the time?

Very quickly put scenarios together indeed.

[*] I used the historic OoBs available in CS Middle East Organization Editor, rather than went for the true original force mixes exactly.
[*] Also, I omitted all Air strikes, and did not provide any smoke either. Tank action battles they are!
[*] Maps used in scenarios are originally done by Alan Arvold in his Ode To AIW scenario sets for Divided Ground game. I simply removed any Rough, Hammada and Sand terrain he's included in his designs to replace Ridges, while I simply put Sand Dunes in place for Ridges too.
[*] Victory conditions were very quickly put together as well. Don't take them too seriously [8D]

I hope you enjoy this little tribute or walk in the memory lane.

I sure enjoyed putting it together!

---
dox44

Post by dox44 »

thanks! really nice. playing Jenin S-4.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: casebier

thanks! really nice. playing Jenin S-4.

You're welcome! Need to have more situations converted!
---
jimi3

Post by jimi3 »

Compliments on this. Very well done and really cool, to use an old phrase. Thank you for the idea and the work !!!
Cheers, Jim
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: jimi3

Compliments on this. Very well done and really cool, to use an old phrase. Thank you for the idea and the work !!!

Thanks! Glad you like it [:)]
---
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Thank you! [&o]

Just played B-1 Bir Gifgafa with the 2D graphics mod and it was a blast from the past! One dumb question, in 2D mode how do you select a single unit in a stack for action? A single click didn't seem to work and double click would move the entire stack. There must be a simple command I'm missing? I've gotten used to the 3D icons and bases, but this 2D retro mod is well done and I'd like to see more of the old AIW situations converted.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
berto

Post by berto »

You click to select/deselect individual units in the Unit List (right sidebar), not units on the map.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: berto
You click to select/deselect individual units in the Unit List (right sidebar), not units on the map.

Ah, better now. But I'm not seeing this work as expected? I can right-click to cycle through units and then left-click to select a unit, but when I go to move that unit the other two units move instead. So maybe I'm not understanding or there might be a glitch? Either way, I'm getting better and went from a minor defeat in round 1 to a draw in round 2.
Bill Macon
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

ORIGINAL: berto

Ah, better now. But I'm not seeing this work as expected? I can right-click to cycle through units and then left-click to select a unit, but when I go to move that unit the other two units move instead. So maybe I'm not understanding or there might be a glitch? Either way, I'm getting better and went from a minor defeat in round 1 to a draw in round 2.

Hello pzgndr!

There's a highlight for units which have been select. Using the Unit List view in the sidebar, you can select / unselect units by clicking at them, and can have none / some / all units selected at the end.

See here for a picture. Only the Sherman 51 is selected and would move out from the hex in this case (would it have the Action Points to do so):

---
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I got it now. There is a Unit Display option I needed to toggle on to display all units in the sidebar. Trying to cycle through each unit and keeping the left/right clicks straight was not working well at all. BTW, having great fun with Bir Gifgafa and this AIW mod!

Update. Finally got the minor victory. Despite my sloppiness in moving units poorly; I really need to be more careful moving hex-to-hex manually to avoid opportunity fire when the game wants to take an easier path.

Overall, this mod is very nice! It brings back a whole lot of AH AIW baordgame memories of yesteryear. Thank you! [&o]

Attachments
AIW.jpg
AIW.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 985 times
Bill Macon
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Hi. I just purchased the game after seeing this mod. But I can't spot the download link anywhere. Hate the vanilla game graphics, desperate for the mod!
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Hello Red Markus,

The mod should be available as part of the 1.02 UPDATE. Have you updated yet?

If you have, launch the JSGME from the game root folder, look at the available mods. See HERE for JSGME usage with CSME.
---
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Hi,

No I hadn't updated as I just purchased and downloaded the game. Assumed that would be the latest version? The mod isn't in the folder (I am familiart with running JSGME) so I guess I dont have the latest version after all.

When I try to run the update process I get a failed to doanload update, client/server data mismatch error.

Any suggestions?
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Hi, you need to upload it manually I believe. You can check it from Help-> About menu.

The latest version is 1.02, and there's a direct download link available HERE. Although the Launch window Update button should work too.
---
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Many thanks. I'll try the manual process. It was the update button that produced the error message...
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

OK, successfully updated, downloaded your Ode to Arab Israeli Wars terrain mod and activated via JSGME. I now see the new unit graphics, but the map is still the same old brown. How do I get the lovely new map you showed in your other thread? The one with dots in the centres of the hexes etc.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Which scenario were you trying out? Ode to AIW mod just affects the AIW scenarios as elevations 0 to 2 are only modelled. AIW mopboards only have base level, hills, and hill tops (in a way). Any other scenario with elevations higher than 2 do not show in this way,
---
pzgndr

Re: Ode To AIW Terrain and Counters Mod

Post by pzgndr »

Crossroads wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:12 am 6/22/2016: Included in 1.02 UPDATE - Just launch JSGME to enable!
I remember this AIW map mod being more like the old AH mapboards. Yellow or white hexes with the dot in the center? I've fired up the old AIW scenarios with the latest update and they don't look the same. Is the original mod still available someplace? Thanks.
Bill Macon
Crossroads

Re: Ode To AIW Terrain and Counters Mod

Post by Crossroads »

pzgndr wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:53 pm
Crossroads wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:12 am 6/22/2016: Included in 1.02 UPDATE - Just launch JSGME to enable!
I remember this AIW map mod being more like the old AH mapboards. Yellow or white hexes with the dot in the center? I've fired up the old AIW scenarios with the latest update and they don't look the same. Is the original mod still available someplace? Thanks.
Unfortunately the current 2D terrain files are not compatible with the version I created the original AIW map mod with. With the newer files, I did a quick Boardgame map mod, but it's not the same as what AIW mod was.

Maybe, come autumn rains, I'll have the time to try creating a new version of AIW map mod.
---

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”