AAR: NI #6 Grey Ghost from the East Coast

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Command

AlGrant

AAR: NI #6 Grey Ghost from the East Coast

Post by AlGrant »

Sorry it's a bit long!
** As with all AAR's there is SPOILER stuff in here **
===============================================

Grey Ghost from the East Coast (Northern Inferno #6)

Mission: Seek out and destroy the Soviet cruiser forces. The Sverdlovs are your highest priority.

Enemy Forces:
Two Sverdlov cruisers, Kotlin, Skory, SAM Kotlin and Kashin destroyers with associated tanker support. Submarine and air threat is assessed as unknown, so expect some possible visitors.

Friendly Forces:
TU 20.01 : USS Newport News CA, USS Henry B.Wilson DDG, USS Manley DD.
TU 20.02 USS Cone DD, USS Mullinnix DD, USS Myles C. Fox DD, USS Vogelgesang DD.
Sondrestrom Air Base : VP-26 Dragons (P-3B Orion)
Thule Air Base : 960th AEWCS (EC-121H Warning Star)
Weather: Moderate low cloud 2-7k ft / Heavy Rain / Sea State 3

=======================================

First attempt at this scenario.

Threat:
I start by reading through the associated mission documents. The briefing hints possible at air/sub surf threat.
Threat Orbat lists Zulu IV SSK and November SSN. Both armed with torpedoes, so no sub launched SSM's to worry about. Only air threat listed comes from the ship borne helos.
Only 2 missile capable surface units listed – Kashin Mod DDG with 4 x SS-N-2C STYX, rangeout to 45nm.
Kanin DDG with SA-N-1b Goa which has an anti-surface capability out to 9nm (or 10nm anti-air).
Everything else is guns, although some of them are big hitters. Range is out to approx 12nm.

Noted that the OPTASK ASuW lists a different SAM and SSM threats with a far greater range!
Jl/STOFDIST/sam 02-16nm based on sa-n-3 goblet/ssm 12-220nm based on ss-n-3c shaddock/
The database lists the Kashin Mod as carrying Styx – so I’ll assume that’s the threat!

Planning:
SAM Doctrine changed to allow anti-surface mode where possible.
All radars are off.
Initial plan is to pull back both SAG’s and allow the AEW patrol to get established and the P3 to get on station and lay a few sonobouys.
Once the air support is in place the TG’s will head back Eastwards looking for the enemy. At that point at least one ship will be detached and sent ahead to act as a radar picket, flush out any subs ….. and it may also end up as an early ‘target’ for any incoming Styx missiles!
AEW support (EC-121) and ASuW (P3B’s armed with 4x Maverick) patrol missions are created

=======================================

041200Z SEP 75 Mission start.

041230Z SEP 75 – Bogey (Helo) detected to the NW of TG 20.01 (Newport News group) – No friendly units out here who could be operating a helo – marked as Hostile. It is soon classified at a Hormone.
USS Myles and USS Cone are detached from TG20.02 and form a new group Group_5581 – they are then set on a fast course North. These will act as the picket/decoy ships. Their only air defences are Manpads, this leaves them vulnerable to any missile attacks!
The only ship with any real SAM capability is USS Henry B Wilson and I want to keep that nr the Newport New to help protect the big guns.

Soon a second Hormone is detected along a similar bearing – marked as hostile.
Manually added RP’s to the helo’s locations to help with the overall picture should contact drop.
Both helo’s are operating along an approx. bearing of 045-050degs range uncertain but prob in excess of 30nm

041247Z SEP 75 Skunk detected 10nm from TG20.02 – given the bearing it is unlikely to be hostile.
The P3 that is attached to the mission area automatically changes course to investigate.
Worth checking to ensure it’s not something that could be passing tracking data.
Already considering a change of plan. Looking to combing TG 20.01 and the remaining ships of TG20.02 into a single group .

041304Z SEP 75 One of the Hormones strays too close to TG20.01 and is splashed by a single RIM-66A

041316Z SEP 75 The SKUNK is classified Merchant / Neutral

041340Z SEP 75 Contact with the remaining Hormone is lost – Ref Point moved to last known position.

041416Z SEP 75 The P3 is now on station and detects a Skunk approx. 73nm from TG20.01 along a similar bearing to where the Hormones were operating.
A couple of mins later this turns into a group of 5 surf units heading towards the Newport News group – sp 5kts.
I’m assuming this is the Russian surface group. Initially marking as ‘Unfriendly’ (but assumed hostile).

As long as the P3 is assigned to the mission area it insists on closing that group, at the moment I’d rather keep his radar available and not risk losing him. Therefore the P3 is removed from the mission and will be given a manual course to allow tracking whilst keeping him outside SAM range (approx. 10nm)

041422Z SEP 75 A second group of 5 ships is now detected, approx. 30nm East of the first group.
This group is moving at around 12kts. I need to clear up which group is actually my target.
First the decoy group (Group5581) will start transmitting to see if either of these groups change course.
The P3 will move to a position to investigate the first group (marked as unfriendly).

041439Z SEP 75 Neither group reacts to the picket group, however the P3 has classified one of the first group as a CL (that’ll be a Sverdlov) and another as FF so that group is now marked ‘Hostile’ The P3 turns away to keep out of SAM range and will move to check on the other group.

041450Z SEP 75 TG20.02 Has been disbanded and USS Mullinnix and USS Vogelsesang have been incorporated into TG20.01 which now contains 5 ships.

041500Z SEP 75 One of the 2nd SKUNK group has been identified as FF and another as a DDG.
The DDG launched a SAM at the P3 but missed. I Wasn't expecting 2 enemy surface groups.
The P3 is tasked to get better ID's on the units in this 2nd group.
Eventually they are classified as 1 DDG, 3x FF and one AO.
The primary targets are 2 x Sverdlovs that must be in the first group.

Both groups now look to be heading towards the decoy/radar picket group.
TG 20.01 will move W to try get behind them so that when they engage they are outside the range of the 2nd groups guns.
Far better to try deal with each group individually than try fight them all at once.

I’m going to use the P3 to try get a better ID on the DDG in this group and try find out if it’s the Kanin (guns) or the Kashin Mod (SS-N-2C).
It would be nice if it was the Kashin Mod as that keeps the missiles at a greater distance from my main force.

The P3 has 1hr 15mins fuel until Bingo. I’ll try a Maverick attack before returning! The 2nd P3 will be ready in about 43mins.

041525Z SEP 75 Now both enemy groups seem to be heading towards the decoy group, I’m going to send them silent for a while.
The CL group is closing fast, currently 55nm away.
The Pickets will turn radars on/off every 10-15 mins to keep them interested.

The Newport New group detects a Goblin the the NE of their current position but at a safe distance.
The group are ordered to ‘Creep’ If the Goblin has detected them then one of the surf groups may change course.
ASROC is available if we get a good fix.
The Goblin is eventually classified as November SSN range 16nm, speed in 20kts so she must know we’re here. Increase speed to Full to clear the area.
If the main group have been detected then the ships will know we're here.
Another Goblin detected right in the middle of the TG. It’s doing 1kt and taking no action, it is soon classified as biologics!

041529Z SEP 75 The P3 evades a SAM from the DDG and pulls back without any update on the ID.
It now heads over toe the CL group and ID’s a DDG as a Kanin class, SAM’s but no SSM, that's good news.
It also ID’s a 2nd CL, so that must be both Sverdlov cruisers in the one group.

I’m going to pull the P3 away to the South of the group and then take a Maverick run at the Southern most CL.
Hopefully the max range for Maverick launch (6nm) and the distance from the DDG’s, the P£ will remain at the very edge of the SA-N-1 Goa range of 10nm.
The Kanin is already 7nm from the CL – the only thing I’m not sure about is the SKUNK who is 4nm away from the CL, but add that 4nm to the 6nm of the Maverick and we’re in with a chance …. But only just!

041603Z SEP 75 The CL is ID’s as the Murmansk (Sverdlov class) – Not sure just how effective the Maverick will be against something this big, but all 4 will be launched! The 2nd CL is ID’d as Aleksandr Nevskiy (Sverdlov class) and the remaining SKUNK is ID’d as Skoryy Mod FF

The first Maverick impacts and causes some damage. The P3 doesn’t seem to want to fire more than one at a time even when changing the Doctrine and allocating all 4 weapons. Changed option to obey plotted course and pulling back after each shot then taking another missile run.

4 successful Maverick hits on the Murmansk and reporting 'Light Damage' but when I try to gain some BDA the P3 strays too close and a SAM is launched, the P3 then turns to try evade and runs straight into the Murmansk’s AAA guns. Splash 1 P3 ( I messed up and could have avoided this!)

The plan is for the picket group to keep drawing the Russian ships to the East and TG20.01 to come in from the West to hit the CL group.
With the SSM shooter in the 2nd group and based on current positions this puts the missile shooter approx. 30nm away from the CL group, add that to the TG's gun range and we're on the edge of the Styx's range. The more distance between us the better.

041626Z SEP 75 The 2nd Maverick armed P3 has launched.
Now that TG20.01 has run clear of the November it can turn North and start getting into a position for a gun fight.

No good messing around now. A Hormone just overflew the group (and got shot down), so they certainly know where we are!
Course plotted to take the TG straight at the CL group at Flank speed and the Picket group start tracking to the SW, because if the CL group continue to run after them at 20kts the Newport News will take forever to close to within gun range!

041645Z SEP 75 Best thing now will be for the main TG to transmit on radar & Jammers and draw the CL into a fight.
Let’s see what that does! (the Picket group go silent)

041718Z SEP 75 That seems to be having an effect.
The Murmansk turns towards the TG but then decides against it and heads back to the SE.
Interestingly the SS-N-2 armed DDG in the other group has turned away.
That whole group is now heading in the opposite direction .... no idea why!

Although the DDG group seem disorganised missiles have been launched.
It looks like 4 x SS-N-2C are on the way to the Picket group. Who turn on radars and jammers.
I doubt they’ll survive but at least they’ve drawn the SSM’s away from the gun group.

041733Z SEP 75 Well there’s a turn up for the books! All 4 SSM’s miss their targets and fly straight past. That should be all the SSM’s fired.
The picket group survive and could now close to join the fight, however they currently have all 10 Russian warships closing on them (not good odds!), so for the moment they'll withdraw and keep distracting the CL group.

041755Z SEP 75 Not sure if it’s to do with turning radars on/off in different groups but the AI seems to be sending the Russian ships all over the place, each group repeatedly changing course.
They still seem totally focused on the Picket decoy group allowing the main TG to close on their target.
However they are actually coming close together, I'd still much rather fight them 1 group at a time.
Fortunately the 2 main targets are closest to TG20.01 so should be the first ones in range. Current range is approx. 21nm

The remaining P3 and its Mavericks should be here in about 50 mins, but I suspect this could be all over by then!

041800Z SEP 75 Almost all the Russian ships turn away from the Picket group. I suspect the AI keeps dropping them as a target as they’re running at 30kts and the majority of the Russian ships are only doing 25-28kts. The Cone & Fox picket group turn back again, heading in but will stay out of enemy gun range … let's keep them disorganised ! (obviously this is an AI/game thing … wouldn’t happen in real life!).

041813Z SEP 75 Finally at just under 14nm range the CL group turns to face TG20.01 – Looks like the shooting is about to begin.
Picket group also start a run in at the rear of the group.
All radars on and as there are still SAM's with a surface mode capability then all jammers also on.

041817Z SEP 75 Newport News gets off the first shots at the Aleksandr Nevskiy, but it’s not long before the ships are taking return fire.
The Manley takes a hit and is sinking. The log show it was a 53-65k WH torpedo.
That could be ship or submarine launched and at these distances it has the potential to be either, worst case is a sub because if it is then I don’t have a contact, no time to search for it and no P3 with sonobouys.
So that's 1 ship and 1 P3 lost.

041825Z SEP 75 Although the Manley is lost the only other damage is 2.8% to the Cone, Damage Control show all systems are still Operational.
In return the Nevskiy has Medium Damage and the Murmansk Light Damage and a Skoryy Mod has Medium Damage and is on fire.

Cone is hit by an underwater explosion - No Goblin detected - but suffers minimal damage (now 4.2%) and all systems still operational.
The Pickets are being engaged by a single FF and they now turn their attention to the attacker.
(There is a Commercial Container ship 840m from the Cone … not a great place to be during a fight!)

The Nevskiy is stationary and is no longer returning fire. Dropping her as a target for now to concentrate all fire on the Murmansk.
Newport News and Mullinnix are within 6nm of both Sverdlovs, a couple of FF’s are closing in and there is the potential for a sub in the area.
That's way too close, so time to pull them back a bit and join up with the USS Henry B Wilson and USS Vogelgesang who are 10mn behind them.
Then they can all come forward together.

041828Z SEP 75 Topredo detected 1nm from Mullinnix! – on that bearing there is definitely a sub in the area.
The torpedo misses (the earlier course change could have been what saved her).
Both ships start to pull back but are taking some hits as they do, but nothing too serious at the moment.
2 more torpedoes heading toward Mullinnix and we've got a contact on the November – 3nm away.
Mullinnix launches 2 of her own torpedoes back at the November.
Automatic Evasion was turned on and all units in the TG are now turning away from the torpedoes (including those at a safe distance).
Turned Auto Evasion off so those not directly targeted can get back on with the fight!

041834Z SEP 75 Good news and Bad news! Mullinnix deploys decoys and spoofs both torpedoes.
Bad news is that the USS Cone takes some hits and her engines are damaged. However she is still underway and managing to shoot back.
18:34:38 - USS Cone damage report: 4x Boilers, 2x General Electric Steam Turbines has been destroyed!

But with 2 ships now engaging her it looks like she’s a sitting duck.
More Good news, both Sverdlov’s now have Heavy Damage!
Newport News is withdrawing (currently 4.6nm from the Murmansk) and only has 1.5% damage with no weapons or sensors damaged!

041843Z SEP 75 With all ships now in firing range, Henry B Wilson engages an already damaged Kanin DDG and Skoryy Mod FF with RIM-66A in anti-surface mode. Delivering the final blow to the Kanin and adding to the woes of the Skoryy.

Cone is still managing to make 15 kts and trying to evade her attackers.
Must make sure none of the ships stray too close to the November, who looks to be heading towards the Newport News.
Moving the Henry B. Wilson closer to the November to bring her within ASROC range.

041850Z SEP 75 Finally the Murmansk is down.
FM ASuW CDR
TO ALL UNITS
//MURMANSK CL DAMAGE ASSESSMENT REPORT IS CAT 4 SUNK//
BT

Vogelgesang and Henry B Wilson engage the November with ASROC.
The November launches 2 torpedoes at the Vogelgesand who turns and runs at flank speed whilst the Wilson launches more ASROC.

041857Z SEp 75 That’s the 2nd Sverdlov sunk (Minor Victory = 850) Newport News managed to get clear having only suffered 3.6% damage and all weapons/sensors operational.

FM ASuW CDR
TO ALL UNITS
// ALEXSANDR NEVSKIY CL DAMAGE ASSESSMENT REPORT IS CAT 4 SUNK//
BT

2 mins later and the ASROC torpedoes find their target and the November is sunk (Major Victory = 850).
I could stop there having only lost 1 x P3 and the USS Manley.
However the fight is still in full swing and there are still 2 torpedoes 1500m away from the Vogelgesang, both are eventually spoofed.
18:59:24 - Decoy (T Mk 6 Fanfare; Tech: Late 1970s) from USS Vogelgesang is attempting to seduce sensor: Torpedo Seeker (Tech: Early 1960s)(Guiding weapon: 53-65K WH #6761). Final probability: 40%. Result: 21 - SUCCES
S

041900Z SEP 75 The Newport uses her superior gun range to hit a Kotlin Mod who is still too far to fire back.
The Cones attackers have broken off and are also taking hit from the Newport News and Mullinnix.
And better late than never the 2nd P3 arrives overhead!

The only undamaged Russian warship is the Kashin MOD who decides to take a 35kt run at the Cone (still running at 15kts), however the Kashin has strayed into Newport News gun range, who now diverts all her guns on the Kashin. The Cone who is 8nm away also fires at the Kashin

041924Z SEP 75 The P3 engages the damaged Kotlin Mod with Maverick and will then turn her attention to the undamaged AO.
The Kashin, although heavily damaged and flooding launches 2 SAM’s at the P3, thankfully both miss.
There is a helo heading back towards the Kashin …. I don’t think she’s going to have much luck landing there.
The Kotlin is sunk and the AO suffers Medium Damage. Out of weapons, the P3 now pull out to a safer distance.

041934Z SEP 75 The remaining damage Russian ships are suffering and being sunk one by one.
The only enemy remaining is the AO. Who is already damaged and quickly finished off!

Mission Complete: Current Scenario score is Triumph = 1900
My total losses were:
1x P-3B Orion
1x DD 931 USS Manley
Damaged:
USS Newport News 5.2% - All systems Operational
USS Cone 19.7% - Damage to Mk32 Torpedo Tubes, Chaffroc, Redeye Manpads, AN/SAS-23, 4x Boilers, 2x Steam Turbines.
==============================================================

Risking and losing the first P3 trying to gain additional BDA after the Maverick attack was a mistake.
Knowing there was a submarine threat I would have been far better pulling her back and deploying the sonobouys she was carrying.
As it was the Mullinnix evaded/outran all 3 torpedoes fired against her, but it would have been better to have avoided them all together.
I think she only survived because the ships had strayed too close to the Sverdlov's and had been ordered to pull back.

Not sure why the AI seemed to get itself in a mess (041755Z SEP 75) with ships repeatedly changing direction.
It could have been the decoy group switching radars on/off or something totally different. Even though the main group were silent on radar the AI certainly knew about them from the sub contact and also the Hormone helo.

Al
Also posted on my own website here http://ukstargazer.net/cmano-ni-grey-ghost-from-the-east-coast/ - same thing but a few more pics.

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.
Dimitris

RE: AAR: NI #6 Grey Ghost from the East Coast

Post by Dimitris »

Very nice! Thanks again.
.Sirius

RE: AAR: NI #6 Grey Ghost from the East Coast

Post by .Sirius »

Great AAR Al many thanks

Paul
Paul aka Sirius
Command Developer
Warfaresims
Cold War Data Base 1946-1979 Author

Old radar men never die - Their echoes fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law

Return to “After Action Report”