Helpers

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

Michael T

RE: Helpers

Post by Michael T »

@mapp66

Have you seen the rule for fuel helpers? If you use the wand you get 2000 bls of fuel instantly in each PzGp. No matter where your FSB is. You could be in Stalingrad, your FSB in Kiev and hey presto fuel. Air Supply could get you another 2000 bls on top of that. It won't be in any PBEM I play.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

According to the manual, this button appears once the Luftwaffe is no longer disrupting the whole Front.

I've never seen it. And I've played games long enough where it should appear at some point.
WitE Alpha Tester
Belphegor

Post by Belphegor »

It's an (Army) activation helper (Soviet helper). I can get a screenshot of it next turn I think. Everything is gone for me this turn as Stalin went for a wobble. It's basically a closed fist raised
forearm) icon. You can see the sum total of helpers used in your reports screen. We (map 66, my opponent) tried them out to see their effect. You can also see I tried all the VP killer options I could as I wanted to see their effect on the early game.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (44.08 KiB) Viewed 94 times
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Can you post a screen when you get a chance, this is driving me nuts, can't find it.
WitE Alpha Tester
Belphegor

Post by Belphegor »

Yup, as soon as I get the turn back and provided it isn't a one-time use helper.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Thank you sir, much appreciated.

On the face of it none of those things tempt me except for maybe the officer release which I assume gives an activation bonus. The German options are much stronger.
WitE Alpha Tester
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi,

Helpers are a game mechanic to get you out of a hole, if needed. It's the equivalent of Mel Gibson yelling 'Broken Arrow!' down the radio when he, and his 1st Air Cav, were about to get over run in Vietnam. Can't remember the movie.

Their effect is larger than it first appears as there is a commensurate shift in your opponents difficulty equivalent to yours. End result is that by using a helper you are creating a 10 point swing in difficulty.

The Helper buttons were originally switched off in a special 'Iron Man' mode. This was changed back to the way it was due to feedback. It's possible, in DCB, no matter how good a player you are, to back yourself into a corner. Rather than toss a game that you may have invested a lot of time in, you've got the option of playing on, but at a cost.

There's a hard limit on how many Helpers you can use and while it's possible to load up on them, take your objectives and win they are entirely optional and fully flagged in PBEM games. If your opponent uses Helpers, you'll know all about it.

They also serve the dual purpose of providing an easy way of balancing disparate skill levels in PBEM, e.g you agree to let your opponent use one helper at a time of their choosing.

Cheers,
Cameron

Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: lancer
...Can't remember the movie...

Cheers,
Cameron

We were soldiers. [;)]
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi Templer,

Yep, that's the one.

Cheers,
Cameron
Belphegor

Post by Belphegor »

Here's the image of the Soviet helper. and in my screenshot above you can see that I do know what helpers Map66 used and which one I used.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (43.5 KiB) Viewed 94 times
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Thanks for the screenie.

Just last night I was playing a game into September and this never appeared. Am at a complete loss as to why it isn't. I've taken games as far as November without ever seeing it. Very strange.
WitE Alpha Tester
willgamer

Post by willgamer »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Thanks for the screenie.

Just last night I was playing a game into September and this never appeared. Am at a complete loss as to why it isn't. I've taken games as far as November without ever seeing it. Very strange.

Ummm, the game is hard coded to recognize "Flaviusx" and, based upon your glorious deeds on the East Front, refuse even a shred of help!
Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

LOL.
WitE Alpha Tester

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”