Napoleonic book suggstions

AGEod goes back to the Napoleonic era and delivers the most detailed and comprehensive strategy game ever created about a time of struggle and conquest that forged modern Europe.
Delaware

Napoleonic book suggstions

Post by Delaware »

I am much more familiar with the American Civil War than I am with Napoleonic stuff. What books would you recommend for general reading for context of the time? I see Andrew Roberts "Napoleon: A Life" gets great reviews. I also have Zamoyski's books on 1812 invasion of Russia and the Congress of Vienna. Any other suggestions?
76mm

RE: Napoleonic book suggstions

Post by 76mm »

I'm no Napoleonic expert, but I thought that The Campaigns of Napoleon by Chandler was very good, and is considered a classic.
typhoon

Post by typhoon »

The War of wars by Robert Harvey is one of my favs and of course there is always War and Peace to get you into the right frame of mind to begin a campaign as Russian.
kosmoface

Post by kosmoface »

1812: Napoleon's Fatal March on Moscow - Adam Zamoyski

Absolute page turner.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

delete
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I'm no Napoleonic expert, but I thought that The Campaigns of Napoleon by Chandler was very good, and is considered a classic.

True. Nearly 50 years old but still the best book on Napoleon I have ever read and reread regularly. An outstanding account of Napoleon's practice, military genius and campaigns with superb battle maps.
Arsan

Post by Arsan »

+1 for Chandler's The Campaigns of Napoleon. Awesome [&o]
Steelers708

Post by Steelers708 »

Swords Around a Throne by John R. Elting is an excellent book on Napoleons Grande Armee.
Kai

Post by Kai »

Chandler's book is the best overall history.

For a really fun read, I can recommend Seven Men of Gascony, by Delderfield. It's historical fiction, and gives a good flavor of what it was like to be a soldier in Napoleon's army.
Arsan

Post by Arsan »

ORIGINAL: Steelers708

Swords Around a Throne by John R. Elting is an excellent book on Napoleons Grande Armee.
That is very nice too! But maybe it's better for someone who already knows and likes the napoleonic period.
I read it after having read Chandlers book.

Another excellent entry level book would be The Battle by Alessandro Barbiero. It's about Waterloo, but it's a great book to understand how battles, campaigns and armies were back then. Very readable and objective.

Regards
Delaware

Post by Delaware »

Wanted to throw out there "The Spanish Ulcer" and "Wellington's Rifles" by Mark Urban.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Steelers708
I agree that this is a great book, but IIRC it is organized thematically (ie, each chapter covers a topic such as infantry, cavalry, engineers) so not the best book looking for an overview of the campaigns. But a great source for someone looking for detailed info about the Napolean's armies!
typhoon

Post by typhoon »

This post also made me delve deep into the book cupboard and dig out Bruce Quarries excellent Napoleonic Wargames in Miniature whilst some of it does not apply some of the chapters offer a real good beginning to the Napoleonic Wars I especially enjoy the Generals and their summaries. Also glad of the nostalgia been years since I looked at it.
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

Campaigns of Napoleon - US $65 on Amazon . . . for the Kindle version!
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

David Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon was a bible for me 30 years ago. If you can get the real book -- get it! If ever you get tired of reading it, you can always use it knocking out burglars.
Citizen Emperor

Post by Citizen Emperor »

The most comprehensive study of a major Napoleonic campaign ever published in English...

1809: Thunder On the Danube by John H. Gill
Three Volumes:
I. Politics, Strategies and the Road to Abensberg-Eggmuhl
II. The Fall of Vienna and the Battle of Aspern
III. Wagram and Znaim

Absolutely EVERY aspect of Napoleon's 1809 campaign is covered in detail, from the insignificant small-unit actions to the decisive battles. Scores of OB tables and charts, and over 100+ maps!
"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."
Marcus_Antonius

Post by Marcus_Antonius »

The book below is currently 1.99 on Amazon (for Kindle).

ORIGINAL: Citizen Emperor

The most comprehensive study of a major Napoleonic campaign ever published in English...

Three Volumes:
III. Wagram and Znaim

Absolutely EVERY aspect of Napoleon's 1809 campaign is covered in detail, from the insignificant small-unit actions to the decisive battles. Scores of OB tables and charts, and over 100+ maps!
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: a_gonatas

The book below is currently 1.99 on Amazon (for Kindle).

ORIGINAL: Citizen Emperor

Three Volumes:
III. Wagram and Znaim

The first volume is.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Excellent value. Not sure how kindle will handle the maps though. Its a while since I read the trilogy even though its on my bookshelves, but I can remember some of the great maps needed the magnifier.
Delaware

Post by Delaware »

ORIGINAL: Ironclad

Excellent value. Not sure how kindle will handle the maps though. Its a while since I read the trilogy even though its on my bookshelves, but I can remember some of the great maps needed the magnifier.
a reviewer of the Kindle version stated the maps are not included, though listed on the table of contents [&:]

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”