Isokron (axis) vs Schmolywar AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.
Isokron

Isokron (axis) vs Schmolywar AAR

Post by Isokron »

Well this was a real blitz game with PBEM standards, we did about 3 turns a day, thanks to my opponent for the fast turnaround times.

It ended on turn 20(september 2) with a soviet surrender, by this time I had encircled Leningrad and was probably about four turns out from Rostow. Moscow would probably not have fallen until I could bring in troops from the other sectors. I guess the weather was a big was a big factor for this early victory with only a single mud turn. The only major mistake I could detect from my opponent was that he was too timid in attacking with his troops. I was running around with most thing on blitz settings and even if an attack would not have succeeded on them it would probably have cost me more and slowed me down more than passively waiting for me to attack.

Some random observations from the game.

One should put some armies to sustained offensive posture as soon as possible. My darkest period in this game was probably mid july when I realized all my infantry armies was fatigued from blitz posture at the same time. Esp the fins should be moved away from blitz as fast as possible since they will otherwise fatigue themselves to unconsciousness while furiously standing still at the border. Perhaps the blitz fatigue shouldn't apply to non moving units.

I got a zero civilian score and had really big partisan problems in the south. But is there anything one can really do about this, does it reduce partisan levels to leave units behind in conquered cities ?

There seem to be no way for the soviet to stop a well supported german attack at all. I even managed to drive them back from heavily overstacked fortified wood hexes around Leningrad at the end with fairly low losses.

The soviet conscripts seems very useless in open ground, even normal german infantry has no problem driving them back. Would probably need to assure 200 strong stacks to be any problem meaning each army can only cover about 2 hexes frontage.

Oil only seems to be a real problem early in the campaign, later on esp the central front was overflowing with it (45k stored). This is probably due to the very heavy tank losses one gets mostly from "accidents" (same high rate as dc2 it seems). It might be more balanced to make tanks suffering accidents count as recoverable or something (although the soviets would have to be compensated.

Germans should avoid the temptation to try to run in panzers in a thin hole in the soviet line after the early game. I did it once and lost three divisions for it.

Losses from combat is very high. No real need to try to encircle the enemy since most soviet divisions will break at about the 3rd defeat and only put up a real fight for the first one. Especially in the early game its more important to just attack the soviets as much as possible while their combat malus is big.

Attachments
end.jpg
end.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 53 times

Return to “After Action Report”