A question about the Xbox One

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Missouri_Rebel

A question about the Xbox One

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I got my grandson an xbox one for Christmas because he loves to play Lego games on my computer. In fact we play them together and I love it.

Does the system require internet to play? I read early on it did. Does it still?

Im just not crazy about the idea of constant connection and I need to look at it further on how to block the advertisements considering he is only 4. I hooked it up at her house and did much of the initial setup so there wont be a huge delay on Christmas while I try to set it up. Even though I set up age appropriate guidelines, Id like to completely block all other areas (advertisements, apps etc). Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Rising-Sun

RE: A question about the Xbox One

Post by Rising-Sun »

Some programs does, but sometime they need update when it needed patch. There always bugs in those games time to time. So it wouldn't hurt to have it. You don't have to have that line hook up all the time, just when needed, unless playing with others online.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Back in the good old days things were so much different and better. You didn't need an internet connection to get your fixes. Sometimes the developers could help you fix a problem over the phone or they mailed you a copy of the fix thru snail mail and then certain magazines started to put patch content on a 3-1/2" disk every month like PCgamer.

Nowadays every game is so borked that you almost have to have an internet connection to get a fixed game. Now, it takes so many patches you would have to wait a long time back in the good ole days for a fix.

Sadly today everything requires an internet connection concerning gaming patches and fixes. You can still buy games offline but it's getting to be just crap and even if you do get it offline most of them still require the monopolizing clients like Steam. Even the others that sell outside of steam always give you that 3rd party crap that is required to play and you know who that 3rd party is? You guessed it, Steam.

Thankfully the war-games are safe for now. I'm uncertain about Paradox. I know they use steam but can't you buy their games from their official site as well? Not sure about Strategy First but I haven't really seen anything good out of them for years. Then of course there is HPS and Frank Hunter games. So, we still have a pretty good selection of "war-games" that we don't have to use Steam to play them.

Still need an internet connection to get patches though the subject of this topic.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Back in the good old days things were so much different and better. You didn't need an internet connection to get your fixes. Sometimes the developers could help you fix a problem over the phone or they mailed you a copy of the fix thru snail mail and then certain magazines started to put patch content on a 3-1/2" disk every month like PCgamer.

Nowadays every game is so borked that you almost have to have an internet connection to get a fixed game. Now, it takes so many patches you would have to wait a long time back in the good ole days for a fix.

Sadly today everything requires an internet connection concerning gaming patches and fixes. You can still buy games offline but it's getting to be just crap and even if you do get it offline most of them still require the monopolizing clients like Steam. Even the others that sell outside of steam always give you that 3rd party crap that is required to play and you know who that 3rd party is? You guessed it, Steam.

Still need an internet connection to get patches though the subject of this topic.

Attachments
wayne.jpg
wayne.jpg (94.42 KiB) Viewed 28 times
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Amen +1
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

Return to “General Discussion”