Best place to buy this game ?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Lukas, Erik2

KarlXII

Best place to buy this game ?

Post by KarlXII »

So I have decided to buy the game. But where will I get the latest patches first ? Is there any difference in buying the game directly from Slitherine, Matrix or Steam ?
Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days
Myrddraal

RE: Best place to buy this game ?

Post by Myrddraal »

If you buy from the Slitherine store you can redeem a Steam key. You effectively get it on Steam and as a standalone.

Steam automatically applies updates. The standalone version also comes with an auto-updater that can download and apply the patches for you.
RealChuckB

Post by RealChuckB »

ORIGINAL: karlxii

So I have decided to buy the game. But where will I get the latest patches first ? Is there any difference in buying the game directly from Slitherine, Matrix or Steam ?

My personal recommendation would be to buy from Matrix (or Slitherine), then get the Steam key from them and redeem on Steam. This way you have the game stand-alone and on Steam.

While I love Steam, there are some advantages for having the stand-alone version:
1. Steam does NOT require you to be online all the time but it does some checks from time-to-time (never experienced it, since my computers are always online these days). If you have a machine that is offline, you might be better off with the stand-alone version.
2. Steam CAN support beta programs (you need to manually switch it one per game within the Steam application) but the developers have to actively support it (so far, all the Matrix Games I own did that)
3. Modding CAN be an issue with Steam due to the fact that the Steam client always keep the core files updated. A while ago, the Steam client had an option by which you could prevent this but they took it away. So, if mods change some core files, this could be an issue with Steam. BUT: I never had any issue with this, as most mods I use only change visuals or non-core files and for my Matrix Games on Steam, this has never been an issue
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Better use the Mods folder for modding. The files will then reside locally on your PC.
No overwritten core files.
KarlXII

Post by KarlXII »

Thanks! Matrix or Slitherine it will be then.
Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II”