Aircraft Ground Kills

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

56ajax

Aircraft Ground Kills

Post by 56ajax »

In 41 campaign, first turn one Soviet air unit flying SU2s was credited with 24 ground kills. How did it do that? Lucky bomb? It has nothing to do with the Front Air Commander who seems to be the worst in the Soviet Union.

Having experience and morale both over 50?
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
loki100

RE: Aircraft Ground Kills

Post by loki100 »

it was actually a well designed plane. More in the pre-war tradition of a fast light bomber than the direct ground attack role of the Il-2. I'd guess this one got lucky in what it hit.

I've quite often seen Su-2 formations flip to Gds status by late 1941.
No idea

Post by No idea »

How do you tell a good plane from a bad one in the game? It seems there is no way to tell using the game interface. I dont see any "stats" (apart from speed, ceiling and armament. But it is difficult to tell good or bad with those stats).
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

Experience , morale just needs to be high enough to have room to grow in experience .

got 1 sb-2 bomber with 100 kils (gbap) doing just interdiction , but
generally tacbombers kill, level bomber dirupt.
morvael

Post by morvael »

ORIGINAL: No idea

How do you tell a good plane from a bad one in the game? It seems there is no way to tell using the game interface. I dont see any "stats" (apart from speed, ceiling and armament. But it is difficult to tell good or bad with those stats).

For fighters I look for maneuver. For others I just look whether they will take a lot of AV support from the base or not (hence as Soviet I prefered Pe-2 to other level bombers). In some categories there is really no choice (look what is produced the most).
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: No idea

dig into the commanders report and look for bomb loads and similar. So while morvael (as above) is correct the Pe-2 has a low footprint, the A-20 and Tu-2 carry far more bombs per mission. So its a bit of a trade off. Also the Pe-2 is short(ish) ranged. In its favour is it is robust and does its basic job well (so in other words its a typical Soviet design)

The Su-2 is fast (for 1941) and carries a decent payload. I used to flip them to Il-2s as fast as I could. I now leave them till Il-2 production expands in 1942 (assuming you moved the Voronezh factories early and this is after the Mig-3 factories convert to Il-2).

With fighters look for maneuver + basic machine guns. In effect morale+experience+manouver are key to determine if your fighter gets a shot in, machine gun power determines what happens next. Given that the Soviets won't match the Germans on the first two of these criteria till late 42 (at very best) and till you get the Yak-3 you'll lag for maneuver, concentrate on firepower. In other words when you get a chance, make sure you do as much damage as you can.

Its all a bit fiddly but its worth digging around.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”