How much of the campaign is scripted?

AGEod goes back to the Napoleonic era and delivers the most detailed and comprehensive strategy game ever created about a time of struggle and conquest that forged modern Europe.
basilstaghare

How much of the campaign is scripted?

Post by basilstaghare »

Posted this on the AGEOD forum as well....having a great time with the game, but curious how many forced war events there are???

Playing the full campaign as Austria. I have invaded Bavaria and am having a happy little war, carefully avoiding war with the French. Get to June 1805 and a scripted event has Austria join the 3rd coalition. I fully understand that this is historical, but I didn't want to be at war with France. So my question is this: How much freedom of action will I have playing the campaign? Will I be forced to join the historical coalitions at various times and/or be at forced peace at various times whether I want to or not?

I would understand if France declared war on me, but I would like to think that I can pick and choose when I want Austria to declare war or offer peace. Thanks.
Rysyonok

RE: How much of the campaign is scripted?

Post by Rysyonok »

I noticed that there is quite a lot of nudging towards historical accuracy. For one I quickly learned not to ignore casus belli requests as they tend to drain VP if not attended to. The game is probably quite scripted - but I'm sure there's some freeplay too. E.g., if you had a defensive alliance with France, you may have been spared the war.

Just guessing though.
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

ORIGINAL: basilhare_ssl

Posted this on the AGEOD forum as well....having a great time with the game, but curious how many forced war events there are???

Playing the full campaign as Austria. I have invaded Bavaria and am having a happy little war, carefully avoiding war with the French. Get to June 1805 and a scripted event has Austria join the 3rd coalition. I fully understand that this is historical, but I didn't want to be at war with France. So my question is this: How much freedom of action will I have playing the campaign? Will I be forced to join the historical coalitions at various times and/or be at forced peace at various times whether I want to or not?

I would understand if France declared war on me, but I would like to think that I can pick and choose when I want Austria to declare war or offer peace. Thanks.

I would be interested in the amount of scripted events as well.
basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

ORIGINAL: bssybeep

ORIGINAL: basilhare_ssl

Yes, would appreciate a DEV comment on this...thanks!

I would be interested in the amount of scripted events as well.
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

Some initial wars are somehow forced, i.e Austria vs France and there is a great probability that relationship between Spain and France degrades (but not to the extent of going to war), for the rest this is free I believe; You'll be better to ask PhilThib, the historical designer at Ageod though.
AGEOD Team
veji1

Post by veji1 »

I think a key element is some balance : the GC is long (10 years that's 480 turns) and you don't want the game to turn into a free for all EiA alliance / Backstabbing fest straight away, so having the first couple of years quite scripted, so that you don't have straightaway Prussia + Russia against Austria or Austria + Prussia + Ottomans ganging up on Russia, makes sense.

There is time for alliances to shift and for the Austrian / Prussian / Russian player to play the long game.
Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”