setting map scale

The Community Project is a free wargame construction set to existing owners of DC: Barbarossa

Moderators: Vic, lancer

nikdav

setting map scale

Post by nikdav »

Where we can set the map scale ?

Vic

RE: setting map scale

Post by Vic »

Hey! Correct place! ;)

No seriously I have to keep this organised otherwise everybody is going to get completely confused.

Anyway. As you might know the engine is scale agnostic.

What determines the scale is basically 3 things.

1. How you draw the map. How much KM/Miles per Hex? The Map Editor thus.

2. At what scale you make a historical unit library. Regimental? Divisional? The historical library editor.

3. How you set the number of days per turn setting in the Simple Editor.

The combination of this will determine your scale.

There is then when setting up your scenario in the Simple Editor also the option in the option to use the VR Basic Lib to set a 'ScaleType'. Depending on the type you chose a number of rules will be changed to mimic better to the scale indication given.

best wishes,
Vic

Attachments
cp1.jpg
cp1.jpg (177.1 KiB) Viewed 97 times
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Here is what I did to make my map:

First I used a Google map to create .jpg file of the area for my scenario (Smolensk). I wanted my map to be about 6km per hex so I got the actual distances between several cities on an east west and north south axis (Orsha-Smolensk-Vyazma and Mogilev-Orsha-Vitebsk). Then I made a map 30 hexes high and 50 hexes wide as a starting point. With the Google map overlay in place I counted hexes to check distances and then added or subtracted hex rows and columns to get the right number of hexes between those cities based on 6km per hex. It's not exact but pretty close. Hope that helps.

Edit - I don't understand how Scale Type works though. If I plan to use 6km/hex, regimental units, and 1 day turns then what would I pick for the Scale Type? Seems like a "1" would be the closest match.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Vic

Post by Vic »

ScaleType is optional for use. It will just modify some core values like how quick entrenchment takes place and how lethal combat is. Closest match is the way to go.

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Since I'm going for about half the scale in terms of distance and time that is used in Case Blue it would definitely make sense to use the closest ScaleType. Otherwise core values like entrenchment, air ranges, combat losses, etc would all be out of whack. Is supply accounted for in the ScaleType too?
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Vic

Post by Vic »

Hi elmo,

No it just modifies air range, stacking limits, combat lethality and entrenchment speed.

However there are minor and major cities, minor and major ports. Their level I versions give 0 bonus AP for your supply network. Level II 20 AP, Level III 40 AP and Level IV 60 AP.

You can place these cities to provide an extended supply range.

It is not a bad idea to add supply range AP to the 'ScaleType' modifications as well. Basically it being higher at a more tactical / less strategic scale.

best wishes,
Vic
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

OK, got it. Thanks.

WitE alpha/beta tester
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Is the Autogain experience set at a lower rate? It might be a good idea :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Shouldn't range be larger if a hexscale is chosen that is lower?

I changed hexscale to 1, in the global vars, in the volkov scenario, just like you are supposed to, but artillery ranges are still 2 for artillery pieces. They should be 4 now, no?
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280

Return to “Scenario Design with the Community Project”