Research Unleashed - Version 2.2

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Osito

RE: Research Unleashed

Post by Osito »

Hi Hanekem,

I guess the addition of three new resources would affect galaxy resources, in that there are three additional resources to be spread around. However, I can't see how this would affect the overall spread of resources, unless there's an undocumented feature I'm unaware of, or some kind of bug. I'm happy to accept feedback from others on this, although I haven't noticed any problems myself. I hope this isn't a problem, as my own changes to resources were really very modest- certainly no ambitious changes were made.

Not sure about the scout construction point, as I micromanage ship construction. Again, I'm not sure why scouts would be constructed more. It could be a function of Icemania's AI Improvement Mod, or it could be something I've introduced (although, again, I'm not sure what). As before, I'm, happy to take on board any suggestions.

Osito

Osito
Hanekem

Post by Hanekem »

Hi Osito,

It is always a possibility, about the resources, just pointing out the oddity of too many resource less worlds. Might be an outliers or a fluke, will have to play more to know.

About the scouts, I normally operate with a dozen scouts, but the game was suggesting me too many times to increase the number and just to shut it up I did, probably a mistake, but, scouts asides, I went into the red too fast, too quickly and that was with a conservative (outside of scouts) spending, so maybe something else happened.
But as a note, the suggestion was insisting for me to build beyond what I could maintain.
So it is probably not an issue of your mod, but from Icemania's.

One thing I am a bit wary of is the nuclear missile, seems like it has a very high damage rate and while nukes are destructive in atmo, in space they are considerably less so (worse, since point defense doesn't target missiles, I think it might be a tad unbalanced).
I haven't used it yet, so I am unsure how good or bad it is, but the damage potential seems jarring compared to most other weapons.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Just played, or rather tried to play a truly crippled game. 1400 stars, but one of the 19 major opponents started in my system. I had to fight off pirates and conquer the other homeworld before I could even colonize out system as it called the system and all surrounding stars as their space. When the streaming Pirates ate my Port for the second time I took it as a sign to convert to a single world agrarian society and turn my back on space. :)
Hanekem

Post by Hanekem »

Hi Osito,

been playing your mod and I am just either not good enough, haven't found exploits or something else is going on.
First, I am playing on Easy, 700 stars large map, I am still seeing too many resurceless planets, but I can live with that.
More importantly my Economy is tanking for some reason, I have a large reserve of cash, but I am in the red in the projection, and I am not sure why this is happening.
I've yet to make contact with other empires, so that might be playing an angle, with the slowed down FTL, the lack of trade is hurting me.
it is not critical, I can generally make it up with the bonus income, thanks Resorts! but then the other shoe drops and one of the pirates stops accepting my payments, they say they are competing over the same planets in the diplo screen as a reason for their anger, and start attacking me.

Regretfully with barely one developed colony, my economy can't support a large fleet and I get pasted or rather my mining stations does which is worse, as I start to withering due to lack of critical resources.
Not sure if the pirate enmity can be lessened or the economy boosted or even if the pirates need a nerf in their designs or what not, but as it stands I play it for a few hours and get my teeth kicked in, in easy, if I'd be playing the higher difficulties, well, I know what to fix, but as it stands...
NOTE: I had discovered a colony ship with a pirate subrace, a bit before the issue. could this be related?

Anyway, wanted to let you know because I like the mod quite a bit, you obviously put a lot of hours into it, and I want to play it. conceptually it is a great mix of ideas
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

Are you still working on this Osito?
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: Shogouki

Are you still working on this Osito?

I'm working on it 'passively', rather than 'actively' if that makes any sense. I check in the forums from time to time to see whether there's been any bugs reported. I do have some work to do on it, but haven't got around to it yet. If you have any specific comments or requests, I'll certainly look at them.

I'm also waiting to see when/whether we get an announcement on a DW2, because that may make DW1 somewhat redundant (depending on how well they do it, of course).

Osito
Osito
Handbanana

Post by Handbanana »

Off topic but has there been any indication at all regarding DW2 ?
----------------------
New to DW.
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: Handbanana

Off topic but has there been any indication at all regarding DW2 ?

The closest indication I've seen is Eric Rutin's post in this thread:

fb.asp?m=3935652

Osito
Osito
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Stay tuned....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Handbanana

Post by Handbanana »

oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!
----------------------
New to DW.
Alyfox

RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2

Post by Alyfox »

New player, possible I'm missing something... I went to install this (copied into my Customize directory, clicked on it in Themes) and it gave me an error saying it couldnt load more than 170 modules.. I hit ignore (cause possibly dumb) and after about 10 minutes of 'loading' I just ended up closing the game.. pretty much stuck/frozen.. what am I doing wrong?
Osito

Post by Osito »

Hi, Alyfox, I'm afraid I haven't seen that error before, and I've no idea what's causing it. Perhaps someone else would comment, if they have any ideas. Alternatively, you could try posting this in the DW Tech support forum, but be sure to mention you get the error when trying to use my mod.

Osito
Osito
NZFade

Post by NZFade »

Hey Osito,
Just a quick thanks very much for the mod, I am really enjoying it.

Not sure if this has already been raised with you, but in the HighTech Research Tree the links between "Basic Storage and Payloads" -> "Enhanced Storage Systems" -> "Optimized Basic Storage" are in correct, you can research "Optimized Basic Storage" without "Enhanced Storage Systems".

Also not sure if anyone else has posted them but here are the three research trees for the mod if anyone wants them in one pic.

Energy Research Tree

Regards.

Attachments
Energy Research Tree.jpg
Energy Research Tree.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 625 times
NZFade

Post by NZFade »

Weapons Research Tree
Attachments
WeaponsRe..rchTree.jpg
WeaponsRe..rchTree.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 626 times
NZFade

Post by NZFade »

HighTech Research Tree
Attachments
HighTechR..rchTree.jpg
HighTechR..rchTree.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 631 times
Osito

Post by Osito »

Thanks for the bug report, I'll take a look at it, and post an update, if appropriate. Interestingly, I found that deleting local content in Steam removes every folder in the DWU folder, so all my work on this mod has been deleted. I will have to download from the link, and hope I can work it out from there (yeah, I know, 'backup!').

Thanks for the pics. Out of interest, how do you do those? Do you have a screen big enough to show the whole tech tree, or is there another way of capturing it?

Osito
Osito
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Osito

Thanks for the bug report, I'll take a look at it, and post an update, if appropriate. Interestingly, I found that deleting local content in Steam removes every folder in the DWU folder, so all my work on this mod has been deleted. I will have to download from the link, and hope I can work it out from there (yeah, I know, 'backup!').

Thanks for the pics. Out of interest, how do you do those? Do you have a screen big enough to show the whole tech tree, or is there another way of capturing it?

Osito

Actually, I'd say 'Don't use Steam'. [;)]

I just started working on my own research mod, so I guess I'll find out just how painful it is. I think everyone has a different idea on how it should work.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
NZFade

Post by NZFade »

Nope, not a massive screen, I just took screen shots of it all then pasted them together. However when I looked at printing options I think I might have to go back to the drawing board if I want to print them.... Might have to adjust the size a little and break them up into A3 printable pictures so that people can easily print them and stick them together if they wanted to. I will let you know how I get on.

Also, I have finished traveling so will have access to a computer again so I fish out the changes I made to fix it and post them for you if you like.

Regards.
Osito

Post by Osito »

I've posted a version 2.1 update today which addresses the following:

1. Corrected the error in the storage system tech line noted by NZFade.

2. Included new resource icons supplied by Blackwolf.

3. Tried to address the problem with life support and hab modules noted by CyclopsSlayer. In particular:
(i) The upgrades now have clearer benefits.
(ii) The size of hab modules does not go so high, so that the boarding defence bonus remains reasonable.
(iii) This does mean fewer hab modules are needed than life support.

I haven't yet dealt with the 'pirate' issue raised by ChildServices at this time. I don't think the way I've dealt with pirates is ideal, but I still haven't come up with an alternative that I feel completely happy with. Possibly the limitations in the game make a compromise inevitable. If anyone has any comments on this particular issue, or has any alternative proposals for dealing with it, please let me know.

Also, if you notice any new bugs introduced by version 2.1, let me know.

Osito
Osito
moonraker65

Post by moonraker65 »

Can this be used with other mods ? Just wondering as I'd like to try it in Beyond Extended. Which files would I need to transfer please ? as I've never mixed mods before
intel i9 13900k 128 GB RAM, RTX 4070 ti GFx card

Return to “Design and Modding”