thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

histgamer

RE: thehistoricalgamer vs Baloogan in Operation Glacier

Post by histgamer »

ORIGINAL: Baloogan

I must give a huge shout out to my opponent TheHistoricalGamer. A real great guy. I would highly recommend subscribing to his youtube channel. Really bright guy, but much too humble to say so.

Thanks Bal! I'm also really great at whinning when things don't go my way! [:D]

But seriously, just an fyi for everyone, I'm the Historical Gamer.
reggimann

Post by reggimann »

ORIGINAL: robinsa

Indeed. Is there anyway to see battle reports and or where battles have taken place in this interface? Would be nice to have the list of ships sunk as well. ;)

This looks promising guys. Thanks.

Figured it out. You can get these details on the map when selecting a specific day and side (top left, under "Operation Glacier"). Then small boxes with an X in them appear with sightings, battle reports (unabridged), etc.

December 8th example: http://operationglacier.baloogancampaig ... onGlacierI

See around Pearl.
WitP-AE - WitE - WitW
reggimann

Post by reggimann »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

How do you change your side restriction? I made a mistake and picked Japan....GP

You can select to view a different side (or both at the same time) by clicking on the top left header "Operation Glacier".
WitP-AE - WitE - WitW
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

I must give a huge shout out to my opponent TheHistoricalGamer. A real great guy. I would highly recommend subscribing to his youtube channel. Really bright guy, but much too humble to say so.

Ah ha!

I would love to be able to comment on things that aren't as granular as what the website allows: basically commenting on locations and events, as far as I can tell, yeah? I think what you're doing is really cool and wish I were in the position to do it, it looks like it will be a lot of fun.

In any case, I can't imagine you want comments on strategy and such as responses to your weekly videos on YouTube (not to mention, I don't want to comment there...), so is there somewhere else I/we could comment?

For example, it's impossible to comment on logistics or industry as far as I can see in the website. You mention in your intro video that you're wanting to discuss strategy as well... although I'm under the impression that the videos will be much delayed as you're just now started to post the results whereas your game date is up into March of 1942 at least.

Also, I'm sure you're both aware that our big corner of the Matrix forums are full of information on almost everything.

Edit: Ah, noticed a couple things about the site that may be bugs -

1) I can edit other people's posts... I assume I shouldn't be able to do that.

2) I assume this one is because I selected to be able to view both sides, but I am unable to respond to a comment. For example, if I see there is a comment attached to a ship, I click on the ship... and then the comments are not visible, although I can add a comment. However, before I logged in when I clicked on the ship name I was able to see the comments there and it seemed clear that if I clicked "Add Comment" it would be added to the thread.

2a) Is there a better way to reply to a comment?
Barb

Post by Barb »

Keep it up guys!

Although it would really be helpful to have some general "comments on what happened" narrative for both sides... Like - Japan: "PoW and Repulse are resting at the bottom of the China Sea - check the combat reports here..." or "Quite successful strike at Pearl Harbor, yet the allied flak is deadly!"
Barb

Post by Barb »

Also informations like "We are playing Scenario 28 DBB-C modification, with settings unrealiable USN torpedoes, allied Damage control On, PDU-ON/OFF, etc..."

And few higher thoughts .. about planning and future operations :) Let the guys see how the story unfolds ...
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

Some more feedback:

Maybe a more prominent location on the homepage and map displaying current date (in addition to the sunk ships list, battles, etc. which you noted).

Also, is there a way to change icons to reflect their type/task force mission? Carriers and Sub Patrols are all appearing as Surface Fleets on the map. Makes it harder to read/discern strategic and tactical information.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Baloogan, GP here. The allied side is my side. If you can change it that would be great....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
ORIGINAL: flanyboy

For example, it's impossible to comment on logistics or industry as far as I can see in the website. You mention in your intro video that you're wanting to discuss strategy as well... although I'm under the impression that the videos will be much delayed as you're just now started to post the results whereas your game date is up into March of 1942 at least.
Lokasenna, when he was talking about playing PBEM to January 1942 and against the AI to March 1942 he was referring to his previous experience many years ago playing WITP - just to give followers an idea of his experience level.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Barb

Post by Barb »

I had also noted several unit pictures being mismatched - loaded Pearl Harbor airport... and voila - B-18 Bolo with picture of B-17D ... and next unit of Bolos showing LB-30s side art ...
RoryAndersonCDT

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

ORIGINAL: Barb

Also informations like "We are playing Scenario 28 DBB-C modification, with settings unrealiable USN torpedoes, allied Damage control On, PDU-ON/OFF, etc..."

And few higher thoughts .. about planning and future operations :) Let the guys see how the story unfolds ...
We are playing scenario 001 on stock map with unreliable USN torps, allied damage control on, PDU OFF, ah I'll just look up the screenshot we took of the settings.

ORIGINAL: Barb

I had also noted several unit pictures being mismatched - loaded Pearl Harbor airport... and voila - B-18 Bolo with picture of B-17D ... and next unit of Bolos showing LB-30s side art ...
Thanks for mentioning that, it's a bug. Showing what the air units are currently flying not what they were on Dec 8th. Will fix.

ORIGINAL: General Patton

Baloogan, GP here. The allied side is my side. If you can change it that would be great....GP
Changed to allies.
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
RoryAndersonCDT

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

2) I assume this one is because I selected to be able to view both sides, but I am unable to respond to a comment. For example, if I see there is a comment attached to a ship, I click on the ship... and then the comments are not visible, although I can add a comment. However, before I logged in when I clicked on the ship name I was able to see the comments there and it seemed clear that if I clicked "Add Comment" it would be added to the thread.

You can press edit on other people's comments to make it easier to copy paste from them, but it should not allow you to save your edits. The reason why I did this is because the comments use 'markdown' formatting with one addition: if you put a unit's exact name in [square brackets] it makes that into a link to the unit.

I'll make a better system for replying to comments, I've learnt alot about the web technology I used to make the site since I've made it and it could definitely use some improvements!

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Thank you baloogan....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

You can press edit on other people's comments to make it easier to copy paste from them, but it should not allow you to save your edits. The reason why I did this is because the comments use 'markdown' formatting with one addition: if you put a unit's exact name in [square brackets] it makes that into a link to the unit.

I'll make a better system for replying to comments, I've learnt alot about the web technology I used to make the site since I've made it and it could definitely use some improvements!

Ah. I didn't try to save or anything, that would've been rude if it had worked.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

*bump* [8D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”