Simple HD resolution: " -f -px1920 –py1080 doesn't work.

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

AstaSyneri

Simple HD resolution: " -f -px1920 –py1080 doesn't work.

Post by AstaSyneri »

Hi!

I am a bit flabbergasted right now. Finally pulled the trigger on WitP and I am actually very much disappointed from the start. Not only did the updater bug out (I managed to get the game updated after a while, rebooting the PC), but the game itself is giving me eyesores with what looks like VGA resolution.

I found that the game can be set using toggles (who in the icy he.. uses those anymore for games?), but when I set a link to my game (no NOT autorun.exe) -fd -px1920 –py1080 -skipVideo it still gives me that crappy resolution.

These War games are niche games, I know, but this is play consumer unfriendliness :(. It's not like my HD monitor is anything special :(.

How can I play this game in regular non-eye-cancer-giving resolution?
chemkid

RE: Simple HD resolution: " -f -px1920 –py1080 doesn't work.

Post by chemkid »

AstaSyneri

Post by AstaSyneri »

Thanks for the line, but it doesn't compute either on my Windows 7 64-bit desktop - even if I type the "-" by hand :(. It's very infuriating.

Update: I did manage to get the font changed, skip the video, or go to windowed mode (at always the same small fixed resolution) so some switches work.

I just can't get the size of either the windowed or the resolution of the fullscreen mode to change :(.

ps: the forum doesn't let me post anything that even remotely looks like an URL or a phone number :(.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

My question:

Have you tried actually starting a scenario or just tested by starting up game?

The General Startup screen will remain in a fixed smaller resolution, but the actual campaign/scenario map should be the resolution you specified in the shortcut.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: AstaSyneri

Thanks for the line, but it doesn't compute either on my Windows 7 64-bit desktop - even if I type the "-" by hand :(. It's very infuriating.

Update: I did manage to get the font changed, skip the video, or go to windowed mode (at always the same small fixed resolution) so some switches work.

I just can't get the size of either the windowed or the resolution of the fullscreen mode to change :(.

ps: the forum doesn't let me post anything that even remotely looks like an URL or a phone number :(.

Most of us have Win7 64-bit systems and the switches work fine.

Can you change the rez to anything else that ISN'T 1920 x 1080? I run 1680 x 1050. Check your monitor specs and find something it supports. Try a lower rez and see if you can get it to change at all. FWIW, unless you have an immensely large monitor you're probably not going to like 1920 x 1080. This game runs on a very old engine and the map does not auto-scale with rez. At high rez you'll see more map, but all the data you need to play the game will be tiny.

You don't say if you're on a laptop. They commonly have fewer rez options and many players have gotten there by simply compromising to what the hardware will do.

It always helps to post screenshots. Post the Properties in your shortcut for starters.
The Moose
AstaSyneri

Post by AstaSyneri »

Just a regular 27" monitor on a Dell desktop, nothing fancy at all. This is my current Command Line:

"D:\Games\Indie Games\WitPAE\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -f -px1920 -py1080 -skipVideo -altFont

When I take screenshots via "PrintScrn", they come out as 1024x768 when pasted into Photoshop. Unfortunately I can't link/attach them here :(.

When I use the -w action it faithfully enters windows mode, but it doesn't budget from that 1024x768 resolution either. :(

I played plenty of games in this setup - none so far had any problems displaying at different resolutions (I often like to play in Windowed mode).

Do War in the East / War in the West have the same video resolutions (rather its problems)? I was thinking about those, too, but this is a deal breaker.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: AstaSyneri

Just a regular 27" monitor on a Dell desktop, nothing fancy at all. This is my current Command Line:

"D:\Games\Indie Games\WitPAE\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -f -px1920 -py1080 -skipVideo -altFont

When I take screenshots via "PrintScrn", they come out as 1024x768 when pasted into Photoshop. Unfortunately I can't link/attach them here :(.

When I use the -w action it faithfully enters windows mode, but it doesn't budget from that 1024x768 resolution either. :(

I played plenty of games in this setup - none so far had any problems displaying at different resolutions (I often like to play in Windowed mode).

Do War in the East / War in the West have the same video resolutions (rather its problems)? I was thinking about those, too, but this is a deal breaker.
This is just a shot in the dark - try replacing "px" with "pxf" and "py" with "pyf".

Really trying to figure out what might be going on...

That command line that you show above, did you retype it for the post or did you paste it in?

When you look at the resolution settings on your desktop, and you get to the pull-down menu that Windows gives you to select which resolution you want...
1) What are the choices that it give you?
2) Which one does it say is "Recommended"?

Did I understand correctly that it is a Windows 7 system you are trying to get this to work on? (or was that a separate system you referred to?)
AstaSyneri

Post by AstaSyneri »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

This is just a shot in the dark - try replacing "px" with "pxf" and "py" with "pyf".

Really trying to figure out what might be going on...

That command line that you show above, did you retype it for the post or did you paste it in?

When you look at the resolution settings on your desktop, and you get to the pull-down menu that Windows gives you to select which resolution you want...
1) What are the choices that it give you?
2) Which one does it say is "Recommended"?

Did I understand correctly that it is a Windows 7 system you are trying to get this to work on? (or was that a separate system you referred to?)

I retyped - aware of the difference between different types of dashes ;-).

Tried the -pxf1920 and -pxf1080 and it looks like it did the trick! What the Frag? the intro screens were small with a huge black border, but the game itself now looks a lot better (buttons and type of course are tiny - poor old me ;-)).

Thanks for the help!

Just out of curiosity? Where in the world is the -pxf... documented?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

It's not documented, AFAIK.

BTW, the intro screen is fixed at that smaller size, so what you see is normal.

As I understand adding the 'f' helps out when picking a resolution that your graphics card does not natively support. Now, maybe your graphics card does natively support 1920x1080, but the driver is wacky. It might pay to have a closer look at the documentation for your graphics card and check with the card manufacturer to see if there is a driver update. Of course always be careful when updating drivers!
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

i believe the extra "f" fixes or forces the resolution to the settings types, i use it in my settings too on windows 8. so..up for that PBEM now? [:D]
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
AstaSyneri

Post by AstaSyneri »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

It's not documented, AFAIK.

BTW, the intro screen is fixed at that smaller size, so what you see is normal.

As I understand adding the 'f' helps out when picking a resolution that your graphics card does not natively support. Now, maybe your graphics card does natively support 1920x1080, but the driver is wacky. It might pay to have a closer look at the documentation for your graphics card and check with the card manufacturer to see if there is a driver update. Of course always be careful when updating drivers!

Not going to mess with my PC now that things are running, but thank you.

AT Anachro: Sure, if you need somebody to beat up on ;-). Any scenario is a good scenario right now, for learning the game.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Most of us have Win7 64-bit systems and the switches work fine.

MS keeps ragging me to upgrade to Windows 10. Every time I upgrade it turns out it was a downgrade. I used to be able to do all sorts of stuff I can't do anymore. Finding files is much harder now.

I'm going to hold out with 7 as long as I can. They say the "upgrade" is free. Big fat lie. After you "upgrade" you'll have to buy some programs to do what you used to be able to do for free.

Return to “Tech Support”