AAR Oosterbeek Perimeter

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame for PC.

It creates a truly and immersive depth tactical simulation. Tigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player’s maneuvers.

Moderators: Paullus, Peter Fisla

xavutrecht

AAR Oosterbeek Perimeter

Post by xavutrecht »

Oosterbeek Perimeter 21 Sept 1944
GB player: AI
GE player: Human
Difficulty: Hard

Herren, battalion commander issued new orders for our company.
The British paratroopers are holding the Nederrijn bridge south of Oosterbeek. Our mission is to secure that bridge and to establish a defensive perimeter north of it.
Securing that bridge will enable our armor forces to cross the Nederrijn and crush the British units located in Oosterbeek.
Battalion commander wants to have lunch in the restaurant near the bridge and nobody will ever dare messing with our commander lunch.
First platoon, supported by the Stugg, will attack east, second and third platoons will move north-east.
First objectives will be the 3 hex building and the patch of wood south of it. This should give us a good starting point to launch our attack on the bridge.
Intel had pinpoint a squad in a small building west of the bridge. They should not be alone, keep your eye open.
Let’s move!
Xavier
xavutrecht

RE: AAR Oosterbeek Perimeter

Post by xavutrecht »

Turn 1, GE side.
All units are in command.
Stugg is moving forward and soon spotted more enemy units.

The PIAT should be no threat at that range, the LMG squad is covering 1st platoon line of approach. Let’s deal with the LMG first.
Xavier
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

Arch! Hans, open your eyes and shoot straight!!! At least you fired at the right building, hex[8, 22] is acquired, those guys will have a hard time soon.
Meanwhile the infantry is making slow progress towards its first objectives but avoided, so far, to draw enemy fire.
Xavier
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

Turn 1, UK side.
Damn telephone lines, those signal men should be send to the east front! No communication with all my platoon leaders and with the Stugg.

The UK LMG opened fire at the squad in the wooden building, only splinters and dust (coffee is covered with dust, bad news).
The enemy is holding the line, I guess they have cozy shelters. Lack of comms unable any fire coordination, I am cursed.
Xavier
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

Turn 2, GE side.
Signal men managed to reach the Stugg and the 3rd platoon, we can start working now.
Xavier
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

Hans must have found other things to do instead on keeping the target in his reticle, acquired target is lost (because of the OoC from last turn). Stugg commander helped him to stay focus with a few quicks, target is acquired again.
The infantry is still moving slowly, 3rd platoon is near its objective, 1st and 2nd platoons are falling behind schedule.
New enemy units are spotted on Obj 1, it looks like we found the hornets’ nest.

Things are getting hotter now, squads from both sides are firing at each other but the thickness of Dutch walls prevail. Even Hans can’t shoot straight today!
Xavier
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

Turn 3, GE side.
Communications are still an issue, 1st and 2nd platoons are really behind now. I will have a word with those 2 platoon leaders, maybe a nice walk in the eastern countryside will refresh their tired minds!
I need those squads… Anyway, stop crying.
Xavier
pad152

Post by pad152 »

Fog of War (FOW)

I noticed that you can see units from both sides at the start of the battle, what are the FOW option and spotting options?

Unit Icons

What is that? the Brit unit Top SE of the MG icon?

Unit Facing, do the unit icons flip to face their direction? It looks like the Brit units are running away! LOL

OOB/TOE units

I see squads, what do they represent, platoon sections?

Do leader units represent a single man or squad?

What is Final OoC Fire?

xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

Hans managed to secure a hit, finally. UK squad is reduced due to casualties and broken (broken +). That should keep this LMG quiet for a while unless a UK leader is walking nearby.
Let’s move the Stugg focus on the squads in the next building. This is my first line of progression, how dare they!
3rd platoon managed to hit the guys holding Obj 1 (Broken +) this will prevent them to pour too much fire on 3rd platoon. With some luck this UK leader will not be able to rally them next command phase.
Xavier
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

3rd platoon leader managed to have contact with 2 squads of the 1st platoon.
After a daring rush through the street, both squads manage to take position nearby the UK units. More important they survived the enemy defensive fire (those PIATs rockets are useless against our brave soldiers).
Still out of breath after such a daring rush they manage to soften the UK soldiers a bit (Cowering in effect due to GE Advancing fire). Brace for close combat!

LMGs squads are moving south in order to flank the enemy position.
Xavier
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

Close combat gave no result, 3rd platoon is closing in during the advance phase. Next turn should deal with the UK units.
LMG squads are slowly moving south, getting into flanking positions.
A new UK position is spotted near the bridge, let's call it Obj 2.
Xavier
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

Turn 3, UK side.

Too much noise next door, 3rd platoon leader is OoC (luckily the squad under his direct command got ear plugs and is in control). Loss of comms with the Stugg (radios are not good in urban ops!).
1st and 2nd platoons are back into the game. Time to run boys!
Xavier
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

Costly close combat result.
Not a single survivor on both sides...
Xavier
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

Turn 4, GE side.

Well, command and control is improving (easy with 2 squads missing!!) a bit, but still missing one platoon leader, gosh!

3 turns to go, I have to hurry a bit. Move, move.
Xavier
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

Ok, time for some deceptive move.
Leaders call it deception, soldiers call it suicide mission. [;)]

One LMG squad moved south and tried to catch the enemy attention. Guess what, it worked! The LMG squad in building [11, 25] unlashed a hail if fire. Poor leadership though, they missed and managed to jam the weapon. Yes!
Let's move the other squads now.

Xavier
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

My units are moving slowly (that's today motto) towards the bridge.
It's nearly lunch time and I am still falling behind the schedule, the battalion commander aide is getting nervous, so do I.

New threat, some arty ordnance. Ah! This shall not stop our way towards the restaurant!!!
A few shots but nothing special to report. What a dull turn so far.

Turn 4, UK side was even more frustrating. building in hex[11, 25] must weight a ton more, so many bullets tore through its walls but nothing. Hans is not any better, oh my!
Xavier
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

Turn 5, GE side.

It's Christmas, with a capital "C", I have full control of my force.
I am going to do some serious work now.
Xavier
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

Well, what I did was some serious ass kicking.
Not a single shot land on the target. Worse, both my LMGs jammed. I am going to cry in my foxhole and then have a nap.
Sigh!

Turn 5, UK side.

Guess what, squads failed to repair both LMGs...
I should be happy, the Stugg scored a hit, the enemy squad is broken, let's hope it will stay like this.

Xavier
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

Turn 6, GE side.

Let's call me lucky. One LMG is back into the fight, I have all my units under C&C and the main enemy threat (LMG squad and leader in building [11, 25]) is OoC. Being OoC means they will not be able to fire at my units this turn, so far so good.
Talking about luck, the arty ordnance must be out of ammo, not a single shot fired yet. Yes!
Xavier
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

Let's talk business.
UK arty fired twice (they are awake!) but missed, twice. Nothing can bit a running German soldier (motivation is the key).
Now my men are closing in on Obj 1 and the units standing there. Let's hope they will survive enough time to get into close combat.
Xavier

Return to “Tigers on the Hunt”