How about a new game engine AGEOD???

AGEod goes back to the Napoleonic era and delivers the most detailed and comprehensive strategy game ever created about a time of struggle and conquest that forged modern Europe.
Auchinleck

How about a new game engine AGEOD???

Post by Auchinleck »

This same one over and over has worn itself out. It was never that great in the first place. The Civil War was enough. Perhaps my opinion only. But I doubt it.
aspqrz02

RE: How about a new game engine AGEOD???

Post by aspqrz02 »

Nope. I, for one, really like ATHENA. [8D]

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
stewartbragg

Post by stewartbragg »

Love Athena. Didn't work so well with PON but great otherwise.
HOI3 & AACW2 Beta Tester
Suvorov928

Post by Suvorov928 »

Haven't been able to lay this one too much yet, but so far, it works very well in this game too.
RealChuckB

Post by RealChuckB »

ORIGINAL: Auchinleck

This same one over and over has worn itself out. It was never that great in the first place. The Civil War was enough. Perhaps my opinion only. But I doubt it.

Is there anything specific about the engine you don't like or that you believe it can't do due to its age? I guess everyone has different tastes when it comes to how certain games and their engines do or approach certain conflicts and that's certainly true for the AGEOD engine. One could certainly make the argument that the engine might not be the best one to portray certain conflicts ("To end all wars" comes to mind) but other than that, isn't it more the question if you are interested in the specific conflict each game portrays?
wosung

Post by wosung »

From Pocus (Ageod's coder) totally buried in one of their threads (Post No. 8).

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.p ... post356343

"We are working on a completely new engine for AGEod games, that will allow us to break new ground visually and hopefully attract the press and the social media trend setters. The goal is to take the whole wargaming sector to a new level, with better graphics, better UI, more intuitive controls, a more streamlined user experience and such. That in the view that players (and more press, of course), will find it easier to approach these types of games and we can get more coverage."
wosung
ashandresash

Post by ashandresash »

Ageod games have complexity and content enough to be great games, what they're lacking is a more friendly interface (you shouldn't have to be clicking 4 times to see an unit statistics, special orders are not so problematic but they could be better organized and the same goes for events and decisions. Strategic Atlas is one of the things you use more to organize your troops and orders so I'd welcome any development there). Graphically I see these games truly beautiful, there are mods that give better colour and items options on the map, so it's not graphics where I'd focus my efforts. Though everything is improvable indeed. In a few titles performance is also an issue, but it's more the exception than the rule.

Besides their problems they totally worth it, I think they're among the best wargames available and they deserve a better media and player coverage. I really like them in MP, so that would be another area where improving the current system would be important too.

Good to know they're working on it.
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

One thing I have learnt over the years is that user interface is an exponentially bigger part of a project as its complexity soars.
AGEOD Team
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

Love the AGEOD games. I want to pick this one up, but I am restraining myself for now due to a budgetary reasons.

P.S. Pocus has the best forum avatar IMHO.
ashandresash

Post by ashandresash »

ORIGINAL: Pocus
One thing I have learnt over the years is that user interface is an exponentially bigger part of a project as its complexity soars.

I suppose so, and Ageod has made big advances like providing more information once you hover unit or regional decision counters, structures...

I don't have WoN yet, but... I've started playing Civil War II seriously a few weeks ago and what can I say, it's fantastic. If WoN is just half as good as CWII (and I'm reading real positive comments) I'll be getting WoN for sure.
Suvorov928

Post by Suvorov928 »

If WoN is half as god as CWII? I think it's the other way around. WoN is IMHO, the best game they have put out to date. I love CWII, but so far, this is blowing t out of the water.
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

A new engine is welcome news. AGEOD has avoided World War II. A new engine with a grand campaign for WWII would be something that would rekindle my interest. While no doubt having the affect of increased press, coverage, and sales for AGEOD.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I like the titles but could never get into the games. The interface is to confusing for me
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

The games are complex, that's true. But if you know how many hundreds of hours we put into the interface! Starting with CW2, it really has progressed a lot, with brand new panels and windows, bigger fonts, colored tooltips with icons. Do you know also that in WON you can move troops by drag&drop and by simple click?
AGEOD Team
ironbmike

Post by ironbmike »

Any new game engine needs to do logistics like Unity of Command does them. Simple, transparent, but realistic and a huge factor.
stewartbragg

Post by stewartbragg »

I have played CWII for hours and hours. Looks like this one will be taking its place[:D][:D][:D]
HOI3 & AACW2 Beta Tester
emeg

Post by emeg »

Why a new game machine, does the chess 'game engine' being centuries old also need a new game engine? The probem than is that a game will not exist for next generations, it will never reach the classic stage. The problem with (most) computer gaming is that computer games will never be classic without being outdated. The Ageod system has te potentional to become a classic but not outdated game, also being played 100 or 200 years after now, as chess is still played as centuries ago. What this game engine finally need is a very polished version with for each period in history a final developed game map covering the whole world that is not longer changed for each new Ageod game. And a final set of game rules and mechanisms to make the game classic without outdated.
Greetings, emeg.
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

ORIGINAL: ironbmike

Any new game engine needs to do logistics like Unity of Command does them. Simple, transparent, but realistic and a huge factor.

Care to explain how it works exactly?
AGEOD Team
pvthudson01

Post by pvthudson01 »

I dont think the engine works well at ALL for grand strategy games. Case in point To End All Wars

Its clunky and very slow.

Matrix Member since 2003!
Lancier

Post by Lancier »

Some news i think...
Pocus:

PON is clearly the most 'development oriented' game that we ever did.

2nd to this one, at Ageod, will be our brand new game in making

For our first game (with the new engine) it can't be too confidential. On the other hand, we don't want to overreach and do something involving things like strategic bombing

There won't be more games with the previous engine, unless people who already did some 'Third Party' games like Leibstandarte (Miguel) or Altaris (Ben) want to make more.

Answering here as this thread is more focused on gameplay: yes, the next game/engine is still simultaneous turn based. This is still AGEOD, you know
GdD Colbert * TWC Co-founder

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”