Personnel Units

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame for PC.

It creates a truly and immersive depth tactical simulation. Tigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player’s maneuvers.

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

Peter Fisla

Personnel Units

Post by Peter Fisla »

There are 4 types of personnel units in the game: Squad, Half-Squad, Crew and Leader.
Squad counter represents a group of about 10 men. Half-Squad counter is half the size of a Squad. For every kind of Squad there is same kind Half-Squad. Each nationality has different number of Squads/Half-Squads:

• German nationality has six different kinds of Squads/Half-Squads: Waffen SS (Elite), Assault Engineers (Elite), Fallschirmjäger (Elite), 1st Line, 2nd Line and Conscripts.

• Russian nationality has five different kinds of Squads/Half-Squads: Assault Engineers (Elite), Guards SMG (Elite), 1st Line, 1st Line SMG and Conscripts.

• American nationality has five different kinds of Squads/Half-Squads: Airborne (Elite), Elite, 1st Line, 2nd Line and Green.

• British nationality has five different kinds of Squads/Half-Squads: Airborne (Elite), Elite, 1st Line, 2nd Line and Green.

Crew counter (Elite) is a group of about 5 men with special training to operate support weapons or Ordnance; only Crew can operate Ordnance. Each nationality has only one type of Crew counter.
Leader counter (Elite) represents one man; the purpose of the leader in the game with his leadership bonus is to help direct fire and rally broken units. Any Squads/Half-Squad/Crew moving together with a leader as a stack receives movement bonus.

Leader’s morale is represented by a letter in the lower left side of the counter as well as his rank. A letter (rank: Major) represents the best morale while letter D (rank: Corporal) represents the lowest morale. Note: For simplicity purpose, all leader ranks are standardized across all 4 nationalities. Leader’s Leadership bonus is represented with stars, the more starts a leader unit has; the better its leadership bonus will be.
Personnel Attributes:

• Class: Elite, 1st Line, 2nd Line, Green or Conscripts. Class attribute impacts personnel unit capabilities as well as how well it recovers its morale.

• Morale is represented with number of stars on the Squad/Half Squad/Crew counters. The better the morale the more number of stars is present on the counter (no stars means lowest morale). Leader’s quality is represented by his rank. The higher the rank the better the morale. The better the morale the easier it is for a unit to recover from broken, pinned state.

• Squad, Half-Squad and Crew have inherent Fire Power value. Fire Power is represented with a letter on the bottom left side of the counter. A letter represents the best firepower while letter H represents the lowest firepower. + Sign after the fire power letter indicates Assault Fire and provides bonus for units firing on the move in Advancing Fire Segment. Note: Leader counter does not have inherent Fire Power value and can fire a weapon (example machine gun but without Rate of Fire).

• Fire Range is not displayed on the counter, to view fire range of a personnel unit, click on the fire range button on the game toolbar. Note: Since Leader does not have inherent Fire Power value, it does not have Fire Range either.

• Experience (from the best to worst): Veteran, Average, Seasoned and Inexpert. Experience is not shown on the personnel counter; it is displayed on the unit control panel. Experience of a personnel unit is set in the scenario editor.

Personnel States:
• Good Order (also means a unit is in command); a personnel unit in good order state is fully functioning on the battlefield.

• Broken+ (Demoralized), when a personnel unit fails its morale check due to an action (example: enemy fire) it will break. A personnel unit in Broken+ state is unable to fire or move in Movement or Advance Segments. It can only rout away from the enemy in Rout Segment. A personnel unit in Broken+ state can try to recover its morale in Administrative Segment.

• Broken, less severe state than broken+ state, a personnel unit has a higher chance of recovering its morale in Administrative Segment than being in Broken+ state. If a Broken personnel unit gets fired upon or an enemy unit moves adjacent then the broken personnel unit changes its state to Broken+ again. Therefore, it is good idea to keep broken personnel units away from the enemy fire.

• Pinned, personnel units cannot move or fire flame thrower, Molotov projector or place demolition charges. Machine gun firepower is reduced by half. Pinned Crew cannot rotate its ordnance covered arc and fire ordnance with reduce chance to hit a target. Pinned leader cannot apply its leadership bonus.

• Out of command, if a personnel unit fails its command check at the beginning of Fire Segment it will be marked as out of command. A personnel unit marked with Out of Command Marker can only conduct defensive fire if an enemy unit moves adjacent to it.

• Wounded, if a leader gets hit by enemy fire the game determines if the affected leader suffers a light wound – in which case the affected leader marked with wounded marker or heavy wound – in which case the affected leader is killed. A lightly wounded leader cannot provide the same leadership bonus/or move as a leader in good order state.

Here is an example of all German Personnel Units (Squads, Half-Squads and Leaders; there is also Crew type of personnel unit bit it is not shown on the example):

Attachments
German.jpg
German.jpg (173.56 KiB) Viewed 186 times
pad152

RE: Personnel Units

Post by pad152 »

Question:

Are losses track by men, squads, etc?
xavutrecht

Post by xavutrecht »

Squad is reduced to half-squad.
Xavier
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: xavutrecht

Squad is reduced to half-squad.

And once Half-Squad gets hit, the unit is KIA.
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

Do the units get a chance to pass some kind of morale check after being hit or is a hit an automatic reduction?
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: Gerry

Do the units get a chance to pass some kind of morale check after being hit or is a hit an automatic reduction?

There is a check to pass...
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

This looks really good.

Couple comments:

What , no cavalry squads!

Would it be possible to mod the graphics of the units to be "top down" aka "Steel Panthers-ish"? This is just a personal preference, but I generally dont like mixed perspectives in tactical games.

Cheers!

(oh, is it still too top secret as yet to give a release guestimate?)
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: The Gray Mouser

This looks really good.

Couple comments:

What , no cavalry squads!

Yes, sorry no cavalry squads
Would it be possible to mod the graphics of the units to be "top down" aka "Steel Panthers-ish"? This is just a personal preference, but I generally dont like mixed perspectives in tactical games.

Cheers!

(oh, is it still too top secret as yet to give a release guestimate?)

You can mod the graphics but since an ordnance or vehicle can have 6 different orientations within a hex there is no way to 6 different vehicle sprites per vehicle type.

In terms of release, the high level aim is within two months
pad152

Post by pad152 »

1. Can AFV's move/carry troops or support weapons?

2. No AFV crews?
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: pad152

1. Can AFV's move/carry troops or support weapons?

2. No AFV crews?

No to both questions...
fran52

Post by fran52 »

Are many years that I wait ASL for PC or something similar.Recently i have found Heroes of Stalingrad quite similar and,for this game,i have developped a mod not only graphical.Anyway this picture is an example of the graphical part.After having found this thread,my brain have immediately thought to apply this pictures to Tiger on the Hunt.
i hope that is possible if the counters are in bitmap and with the similar size.

Attachments
gerInfant..01copy.jpg
gerInfant..01copy.jpg (183.68 KiB) Viewed 163 times
fran52

Post by fran52 »

And the Russian.I hope that this my idea don't disturb the game creator.Is only an idea and could remain on my PC.

Attachments
URSSInfan..Sheet01.jpg
URSSInfan..Sheet01.jpg (234.67 KiB) Viewed 163 times
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: acropora

Are many years that I wait ASL for PC or something similar.Recently i have found Heroes of Stalingrad quite similar and,for this game,i have developped a mod not only graphical.Anyway this picture is an example of the graphical part.After having found this thread,my brain have immediately thought to apply this pictures to Tiger on the Hunt.
i hope that is possible if the counters are in bitmap and with the similar size....

I recall the mod work you did with Heroes of Stalingrad and I'm looking forward to seeing what mods you make when this game is released. I understand it will come with a Map editor and an OOB editor so you should be able make some nice additions.

My thoughts are that community mods/added content is one thing that drives a game to longevity and success. I imagine the developer here would agree since he's planning to release the editors along with the game.

Thanks
Rick
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: Rick

i hope that is possible if the counters are in bitmap and with the similar size....

I recall the mod work you did with Heroes of Stalingrad and I'm looking forward to seeing what mods you make when this game is released. I understand it will come with a Map editor and an OOB editor so you should be able make some nice additions.

My thoughts are that community mods/added content is one thing that drives a game to longevity and success. I imagine the developer here would agree since he's planning to release the editors along with the game.

Thanks
Rick

Yes :)

All the game graphics is in one PGN file, nothing is hidden...so yes you can make changes to all the art you want (buildings, terrain, units)...with the exception that some tiles are used for Line of Sight processing and they cannot be changed or the LOS won't work.
Angiel

Post by Angiel »

Hi:
is it possible to have information on the infantry fire table and on the results of combat ?
Compliments for the game.[:)]
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: Angiel

Hi:
is it possible to have information on the infantry fire table and on the results of combat ?
Compliments for the game.[:)]

Hi Angels, the game formulas, DRMs, shifts and odds are hidden as I want the player to focus on strategy and tactics of course fire/all action results are displayed.
Angiel

Post by Angiel »

thanks for the reply, Peter.
fran52

Post by fran52 »

Hi Angels, the game formulas, DRMs, shifts and odds are hidden as I want the player to focus on strategy and tactics of course fire/all action results are displayed.
But follow the ASL method?
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

But follow the ASL method?

Yes, inspired by ASL
giffin

Post by giffin »

i hope that is possible if the counters are in bitmap and with the similar size.

This counters are fantastic! I loved playing Heros Of Stalingrad and still play that game. I hope this game will be supported for years to come. Your counters MODS will really give this a real ASL look. I wonder if you can keep the value numbers on the counters or if you will have to remove them?

Return to “Tigers on the Hunt”