Screenshots for Dummies

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ny59giants

Screenshots for Dummies

Post by ny59giants »

I know this topic has been on the forum multiple times, but I just got my new computer Monday with Windows 10. I need to get my long neglected AAR updated vs John 3rd. I need a free or cheap program that is "dummy" proof to do screenshots and be able to edit easily. Responders 'may' need to help me off line to walk me through the steps. [;)]

Thanks!
[center]Image[/center]
floydg

RE: Screenshots for Dummies

Post by floydg »

I usually use Greenshot (http://getgreenshot.org/)
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Walkthrough: Press PRINT SCRN open MSPAINT prss ctrl + v. Done... [;)]

Its actually the fastest and smoothest way. There are programs which allows you to take multiple screens and edit them. But they are often clunky, comes with ads and since you can only (smoothly) attach one screen per post...

If you want/need to take multiple screen just open additional paint windows and ALT tab in and out from the game.
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

+1 to Greenshot. It is easy to use and mark up.
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I use ShareX. It's open source (free to use) and it took me a little effort to get it configured the way I wanted (mostly because I wanted the images to go into a different folder from what the program wanted to do), but it's very easy to use after that and it allows full screen shots as well as snippets and a bunch of other things I rarely use. I think it has a fairly basic built in editor, but I have it dump directly into PhotoShop. It will also auto post to the various internet places, but I never use those features.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

My upgrade to Win10 no longer allows me to rename pic files to share,(.jpeg to .jpg).
I think I just need to re-flip a "switch" but I forgot which one it is..Help?

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I downloaded Greenshot, but I cannot open the program to see what it does. I hit "Print Screen" and a crosshairs came up on AE map and it seemed to lock me in a loop that I couldn't get out of (forced restart). Then, when I tried to open program, it says that I already have two programs of it open. Help?!? [:(]
[center]Image[/center]
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I'm with Joc in using Paint, but them I'm doing it on Win7.

The windows snipping tool in Win7 is also handy for cropping.

Haven't tried any screenshots from my Win10 laptop yet.
Hans

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I'm just the opposite of you Hans. I have Win7 on laptop and Win10 on tower.
[center]Image[/center]
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

I don’t have Windows 10.
You don’t want the program to be running twice. Close out one of them.
If you are getting the crosshairs it is a good sign that it will work in Windows 10.

Start the program again and try this:

Hit print screen on your keyboard and you should get the crosshairs.
Hold down the left mouse button to drag a rectangle over the area you want to capture.
Let go of the mouse and you will get a drop down.
Click “open in image editor”
Then go to file in upper left and click “save as” to save to the file type you want.

Help is available on the Website.
Instead of a manual you have the following help topics on the web.
http://getgreenshot.org/help/

"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I use Irfanview. It's annoying. Don't do what I do. It's pretty simple for many things but taking screenshots not so good.

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I downloaded Greenshot, but I cannot open the program to see what it does. I hit "Print Screen" and a crosshairs came up on AE map and it seemed to lock me in a loop that I couldn't get out of (forced restart). Then, when I tried to open program, it says that I already have two programs of it open. Help?!? [:(]
It works for me. Are you sure you got the official download and not something with crapware or viruses added in?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

It works for me. Are you sure you got the official download and not something with crapware or viruses added in?
BTW the cross hairs you use to specify the area you want to picture. Put the cross hairs in one corner of an imaginary rectangle that you want, then hold down the left mouse button and drag to the opposite corner of the imaginary rectangle. When you let go of the mouse button it will either save the file or prompt you for the name and place to save (that's the way I have it configured).
floydg

Post by floydg »

You did read the "manual", right?
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: floydg

You did read the "manual", right?

Whoinheck reads those?!? [:D]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Editing in MSPaint:

How to save screen shot with zoom to allow larger screenshot?

How to go back and edit with different color and/or text after you find out it's needed?
[center]Image[/center]
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Editing in MSPaint:

How to save screen shot with zoom to allow larger screenshot?

How to go back and edit with different color and/or text after you find out it's needed?
For a screen-shot just hit the <Print Screen> key on your keyboard. Paste it into
MS Paint or what I prefer and recommend PhotoScape (it is freeware).

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
cats1.jpg
cats1.jpg (266.26 KiB) Viewed 350 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I use Photoshop CS2 as I have a copy from my school days circa 2004, but the functionality that I use in it is easily replicated by GIMP. I press print screen, open a new image of the size of my desktop in Photoshop, paste it in, and crop.

For getting multiple pieces of info, I do a second (third, fourth, etc.) screenshot showing the information I want to overlay on the main screenshot, crop it down to what I'm looking for, and paste/position it over the top in the main image.

You could do the same thing with MS Paint, but it's klunkier and sometimes a little bit obnoxious. The nice thing about Photoshop (and GIMP) is that it allows you to draw things on the screenshot with relative ease, without having to freehand it.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I use Greenshot to take the screen captures, press Print-Screen (selecting the size by mouse with cross hairs: click on one corner & drag to opposite corner) and save as .jpg. Greenshot can be configured to work in various ways.

I use Paint.net to make and edits/add any annotations as it is the easiest and fastest way I've found.
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

use resize in MSPaint once you have it cropped.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”