The Dark Crusade (No 76mm)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.
Michael T

The Dark Crusade (No 76mm)

Post by Michael T »

This game will kick off once the next patch is released. I will be German, 76mm will be Soviet. See attached screen shot for the setup. No use of ‘helpers’ is allowed.

We will be using the PBEM++ system. This will not be a delayed AAR.

It won’t be super detailed, more of a lite AAR.

We are both veterans of WITE, but haven’t played each other before. Both total newbies to DC3. So don’t expect perfect play. But I have played a few games of DC2. So I have a good grip on the tactical combat and movement systems of the DC series.

I hope this AAR will be of interest to some. 76mm is welcome until the first move is posted.

Now back to the planning table…..

Attachments
DC3_Settings.jpg
DC3_Settings.jpg (40.6 KiB) Viewed 213 times
budd

RE: The Dark Crusade (No 76mm)

Post by budd »

always enjoyed your WITE AAR's looking forward to it.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
governato

Post by governato »

why plots OFF? Plots are useful...
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

What about Geneva Convention?[X(][:D]
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Looking forward to this....
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

why plots OFF?

Just personal preference at this stage.
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

+1 thinking of buying, looking forward toying aar :-)
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

The game has started. First reports soon. I have elected to support Hitler's Plans.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

very nice cannot wait
"Tanks forward"
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

End German T2 (22 June 1941, Clear)

Happy enough with the opening assaults. I could have done a little better in one or two areas. Main thing was Hitler did not meddle and Von Leeb gave 18th Army a bonus so they got a little further towards Riga. Fuel use in AGC was excessive. Still learning the nuances of fuel use. Efficiency is the key I feel.

Luftwaffe is interdicting for 12 more days. Siege artillery ordered to Lvov. On the Finnish front they attacked and took Vyborg. Not sure if that was politically allowed now. Maybe I will be penalised? Not sure, will have to check the rules.

Artillery assigned to 16A, 4A and 17A. All command focus cards played on to the respective PzGp.

Will have some stats end of next turn.

My aim at this point is to simply destroy as many Soviet units as possible as soon as possible and see what opens up.

Attachments
June22.jpg
June22.jpg (392.76 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

You can hit Vyborg on turn 1. In fact you can do anything you want up there without penalty so long as you don't cross the blue Bs.

Your opening looks a lot like my 3rd try, lol. Although I sent the siege artillery to Brest Litovsk not Lvov.
WitE Alpha Tester
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Haven't played the Axis side yet so I'm interested to see what you think of balance as the game goes on.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Funny I almost did not even look at the Finnish front. As I just assumed they would be locked (WITE hangover). They had AP so away they went...

T3 half done. Will complete tomorrow.

Michael T

Post by Michael T »

76mm and I have agreed to call this game off. No problems. Best to call it quits while its still early days. DC3 is not 76mm's cup of tea. I fully understand. He was quite willing to play it out but in the end we decided it best to move on.

So I am looking for a new opponent. If anyone following this AAR is interested in playing under the same conditions I am open to a game. But I will be giving preference to people I have some rapport with or who I know through the forums. I guess I am saying don't bother if I don't know you. Also at this early stage I would prefer non playtesters of DC3.

If I don't hear from someone by tomorrow I will post in the opponents wanted forum.

Keen to get a game going again ASAP.
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Shame. I'll probably be starting a pbem over the next week or 2 but I'm likely to start as Axis. In short be good to play you at some point but I'm not ready now and not wanting to be Soviets now[;)]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Well if I don't get any known takers as Soviets I will happily play as them myself against you. Lets see what happens.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Pity 76mm called the game off. Not sure why he's so disillusioned with the game, his concerns seem niggling to me and missing the big picture. I'm completely enchanted by this game, although the Soviet side needs a bit more love in terms of chrome. The basic design is rock solid. This is an impressionistic game that aims to capture the feel of things. Don't get hung on the details, it's not that kind of game, and if you want that kind of game, you've already got WITE. I don't need two of those.

The hell of it is I think the game's balance leans towards the Soviet, given two equally competent players. German play is very unforgiving. Not much room for error. That being said, the Soviet AI can do things a human Soviet can't that make it a tough opponent.
WitE Alpha Tester

Return to “After Action Report”