What is solitaire mode> Is there a functioning AI?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

vaalen

What is solitaire mode> Is there a functioning AI?

Post by vaalen »

Greetings.

I have been reading patch notes an dFAQs, but I still have these question.

What is solitaire mode>

Does the game have an AI opponent?

Any help will be appreciated.
Centuur

RE: What is solitaire mode> Is there a functioning AI?

Post by Centuur »

Solitair mode is that you can play yourself. An AI isn't in the game at this point.
Peter
vaalen

Post by vaalen »

thank you, Peter.

Best, Vaalen
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Solitair mode is that you can play yourself. An AI isn't in the game at this point.

Yes thank you Peter, at what point will the AI be in the game Peter? [&:][:D][:(]

Bo
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

One of the better ones is there now - the other "you" in Solitaire.
Paul
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

This is not only for this game of course. But, do you have any advice to play a solitaire game? I mean it happens on one side that you are doing a risky move hoping the other side won’t notice. How do you refrain yourself as the "other" side not to crush your enemy?
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Makes for a better game. You only do reasonable things and take reasonable risks. I suppose you could set up some kind of die roll system to generate a less able opponent.

But there are so many die rolls in the game for weather, initiative and turn length, you are unlikely to ever play the same solitaire game twice in a row.

And you can experiment with Japan being aggressive in China, and/or the Pacific. Or maybe try attacking Russia. Or even just a passive strat bomb China campaign, hoping that US Entry will make only torpid progress. Likewise Russia can defend forward and risk a bad break on the garrison ratio and getting slaughtered, or defend back in the hinterlands, knowing Barb will come earlier in all likelihood. Or maybe try attacking Japan. For Germany/Italy the main strategies are: Barb 41, Barb 42, Close the Med, or try a Sitzkrieg. Or how about attack Spain and drive for Gibraltar as the weather towards the end of 1940 becomes your main enemy? For France, how long can you get them to hold out before the inevitable surrender or Vichyfication? And then will Free France be able to get some units built and contribute to the cause, or will it end up completely conquered? For CW and the USA, of course it's the old question they faced in real life - Germany or Japan first?
Paul
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: bo

Yes thank you Peter, at what point will the AI be in the game Peter? [&:][:D][:(]

Bo
No date given, or at least, not one that I have seen. I too, am waiting for it ... my current opponent is LOUSY! No challenge at all. Can't even get the rules right yet! Sheesh! [:D]

And yes, I am still relegated to solitaire .. [:(]
Pax
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
ORIGINAL: bo

Bo
No date given, or at least, not one that I have seen. I too, am waiting for it ... my current opponent is LOUSY! No challenge at all. Can't even get the rules right yet! Sheesh! [:D]

And yes, I am still relegated to solitaire .. [:(]

My dear PaxMondo I was being a little sarcastic with my friend Peter as we both know the answer to that one, tell your current opponet to bone up and read the pamphlet Annual 98, if you don't have it I will send it to you. Then you will be able to kick butt after reading it [:(]

Bo
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

I've found that when playing solitaire, there are many, many occasions where doing something is a 50/50 call. I simply flip a coin and go with the result. If there are three potential options, roll a die, with (1,2) being option one etc. It's fun and adds another layer of randomness to the game.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

I've found that when playing solitaire, there are many, many occasions where doing something is a 50/50 call. I simply flip a coin and go with the result. If there are three potential options, roll a die, with (1,2) being option one etc. It's fun and adds another layer of randomness to the game.

Cheers, Neilster

Here's somebody with their head firmly screwed on! [:)]

Richard
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: cataphract88
ORIGINAL: Neilster

Cheers, Neilster

Here's somebody with their head firmly screwed on! [:)]

Did you have to post that about the Neilster, his ego is so large after that he might dive into the waters off of Hobart and take on a couple of Tasmanian sharks, barehanded of course[:D]

Bo
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Did you have to post that about the Neilster, his ego is so large after that he might dive into the waters off of Hobart and take on a couple of Tasmanian sharks, barehanded of course
Unlikely. They're a bit big...and hungry.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Akmatov

Post by Akmatov »

OK, two years since release and still no AI, if one even expected?

Is solitaire mode basically what has been called 'hot seat', you are playing against yourself?
Orm

Post by Orm »

Is solitaire mode basically what has been called 'hot seat', you are playing against yourself?
Indeed.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

I'm sorry I bought this without an AI. Playing against yourself, is like playing Tic Tac Toe.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Hot Seat and Solitaire are a little different. Hot Seat was designed for two people to play on the same computer (hence the name). Neither one has many bugs left to eradicate. Both can be played by two or more players using screen and mouse sharing programs. Both can be played by email but the game requires a great deal of interaction, so by email it could be a very slow process without some form of "standing orders" agreement between the players. With Hot Seat there is an attempt made to keep certain things that are supposed to be hidden from the other side, stay hidden. But essentially, either in-person or with screen sharing or via PBEM, it's an honor system with respect to those. Also, IIRC, only beta versions allow die rolls to be set if playing Hot Seat versus Solitaire.

Two-player NetPlay has really come a long way, but currently has more bugs than the other two modes mentioned, mostly in the naval phases of the game. Current efforts are focused on NetPlay as well as fixing any major bugs that are discovered.
Paul
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Auchinleck

I'm sorry I bought this without an AI. Playing against yourself, is like playing Tic Tac Toe.

Errrrr that is politically incorrect careful[;)] I rarely win at tic tac toe[:(]

Bo
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

I am sorry I bought this game, too. There was a promise of an AI opponent, but so far there has been absolutely zero progress on it.

What a bunch of hooey the developers and Matrix Games told us when this game released.

bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: jglazier

I am sorry I bought this game, too. There was a promise of an AI opponent, but so far there has been absolutely zero progress on it.

What a bunch of hooey the developers and Matrix Games told us when this game released.

Hi jg glad you are still around and Merry Cristmas to you and your family. I know it would be a nicer xmas if netplay and the AI were up and running, the fact is they are not. But I am conviced [I think[:(]] that as things stand right now the netplay must be finished before the AI, and all of the bugs that are still being seen must be elimated before Steve can even hope to start on an AI.

Nobody wants the AI more than I do, but right now if Steve could get these half maps out to the players it would be a big boost to players morale, they are very good scenarios, Fascist Tide and Day Of Infamy.

I am not a homeboy meaning I do not always agree with the way things have been run here in what should have priority but the powers that be understand things better than I do as I am not business oriented.

There is one thing that I am very comfortable with and that is we could not have a better advocate for MWIF than Steve, he is not rushing to his next great adventure game ala Gary Grigsby [not a dig, good programmer] this is it for Steve, it is his passion and he is dedicated to finishing this truly great game.

Matrix has been fair with Steve time wise even though the general public is a little or a lot miffed. How many games that you do not play anymore or still play that still need attention but those programmers have moved on and really it says to hell with all of you we are on to bigger and better games.[:(]

Steve will not do that, this is his game and god willing if he remains in decent health we will see this game finished. There is just too much pride here to call it quits, this is his baby and with the tender care this complicated game requires he will finish it.

Bo

Return to “World in Flames”