Why Finland isnt doing any railway repair at all?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

No idea

Why Finland isnt doing any railway repair at all?

Post by No idea »

The Mud season has come and they havent made a single repair to their railways. In other games they always repair a bit here and there. Is this a bug?

Completely unrelated but, how can I airdrop fuel instead of supplies to an isolated panzer unit?

PS. By the way, all my HQs are locked, but, afaik, that shouldnt stop railway repair units from making their job.

PS2. I have seen the finnish SUs and there isnt a single railway repair unit or labor batallion, so that might exlplain it, but I am sure in other camapigns I have seen finnish repair units¡ (I am now playing the Alt CV campaign)
Mehring

RE: Why Finland isnt doing any railway repair at all?

Post by Mehring »

1. You need to allocate construction battalions to an HQ within range of the track you want to repair, but not within range of the track you don't. That way you not only repair but prioritise your supply track.

2. Only transports will lift fuel and when available at a base you should be able to toggle between fuel/supplies. Careful with this. IIRC, if you change cargo you will revert to default air units, so choose your cargo before anything else.
“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky
morvael

Post by morvael »

Finns have only 3 construction units, and I think that if a construction unit is used to assist in fort construction then it's not available for rail repair. That's why they are so bad at repair.

In my PBEM game I have seen at most 1 of these units repair rail and it has done so 3-4 times in 15 turns (I have them assigned to armies). So it's hard to stay on Svir river line for long time, you'll be over 50MP from supply source even in clear weather.
No idea

Post by No idea »

Thank you. I have "fixed" both problems. It was my fault
Mehring

Post by Mehring »

morvael, given that Finland used the wide gauge rail, wasn't there some plan to reduce conversion costs or is that WitE2?

You can get two repair units every turn if you handle it right, maybe with one of the surplus corps HQs. It's just a question of micromanaging distances of HQ to broken rail. Pretty sure rail conversion is prioritised by game over digging duties. When they don't show I think it's because leader failed initiative? Even converting a hex a turn you will be way out of supply on the Svir come mud.
-Leon Trotsky
morvael

Post by morvael »

Yes, I realized now empty corps HQ would do the job as it would not waste construction units for fort building.

Damage is reduced when Finns take rail, this was added in 05.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

I leave them in locked Finnish High Command for maximum range rail repair. Once this is done they will be reassigned to Armies or Corps.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Mehring

Post by Mehring »

Trouble with that is they usually repair all over the place instead of the line to the Svir. I might put them back in High Command once that repair is complete.
-Leon Trotsky
morvael

Post by morvael »

Let's give the Finns FBD-like unit (smaller), with no units attached. Human player could then attach construction units to it. It will have less MP (I hope that at least 3), but it will allow directed repair. Of course it would only help human player.
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

I don't know why it would be, but I never have this problem. Niemals.
I plug one into High Command and 2 into Karelian Army.
And the only times I do not notice them working is if I'm moving an HQ a long distance.
I don't know if it's helpful to the algorithm or not, but I do not take land on the Karelian isthmus that I don't need until the railway is 2 hexes away. (I play the AI exclusively.)

The new change to the railway damage is great. The Finnish rail repair is much more worthwhile now.
I just don't think there's much point (personally) in occupying the Karelian. Better to march through Leningrad on your way to holding the Volkhov for Army Group North. They don't have any sustainable offensive combat strength.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”