Any new interest in Combat Reporter?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Anachro

RE: Any new interest in Combat Reporter?

Post by Anachro »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister
Took a bit of fiddling with the .bat file to get it to run. Once I got it running I get stuck on the same location as last time! [:(]

I have the same problem.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

I opened the link under this thread and it doesn't walk this fool though install. Is a kindergarten guide to install available?
scout1

Post by scout1 »

PM sent .....
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

I replied to your e-m provided in PM but it was returned as having a permanent fatal error in address...hmm, never had that before, I'll respond here via PM too.

Thanks!
Herrbear

Post by Herrbear »

Thank you.
bretg80

Post by bretg80 »

Took a bit of fiddling with the .bat file to get it to run. Once I got it running I get stuck on the same location as last time! [:(]

Hmm, if you are having issues with the configuration properties, you can delete the combatReporter.properties file in the directory and restart the program. That should mitigate any issues you are having. What version of Java are you running?
I'll be back
bretg80

Post by bretg80 »

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

Does combat reporter only work with the original map, or will it work with the extended map as well?

I'm not sure what you mean by extended map, but it works with the hi-res map that comes in patch 3. If there is another map, I am not aware of it and the program will not look for it.

I'll be back
bretg80

Post by bretg80 »

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

I opened the link under this thread and it doesn't walk this fool though install. Is a kindergarten guide to install available?

there is an installation document (pdf) file that comes packaged in the zip file. That should help you through an install.

I'll be back
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: bretg80
Hmm, if you are having issues with the configuration properties, you can delete the combatReporter.properties file in the directory and restart the program. That should mitigate any issues you are having. What version of Java are you running?

The problem seems to be actually generate the config file. Whenever I press Select Date/time I get that warning. I don´t seem to be able to set it manually either.

I can fill out the preference file without the tool but I can´t get this format right:

"startIntervalDate='' Could you post an example of how it should look?

Java 1.8.0_25.

scout1

Post by scout1 »

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

I replied to your e-m provided in PM but it was returned as having a permanent fatal error in address...hmm, never had that before, I'll respond here via PM too.

Thanks!

tried email to the provided address ... bounced ..... can you set up a gmail acct and we can try that ?
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Looking forward to the new developments.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
scout1

Post by scout1 »

Bret,

Doesn't some of the additional information you might seek for additional features exist as DOS outputs from michaelm
extraction tool ? I've used these to extract data files I could suck into Excel to track things in the past ....
Or am I oversimplifying ?
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Michaelm extraction tool?????

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

Michaelm extraction tool?????

Roger
I assume he means witploadAE.exe, which dumps the scenario files to CSV and vice versa??
scout1

Post by scout1 »

He did !
bretg80

Post by bretg80 »

ORIGINAL: bretg80

The problem seems to be actually generate the config file. Whenever I press Select Date/time I get that warning. I don´t seem to be able to set it manually either.

I can fill out the preference file without the tool but I can´t get this format right:

"startIntervalDate='' Could you post an example of how it should look?

Java 1.8.0_25.

Yes - here is an example config file

watchDir='F:\\Matrix Games\\War in the Pacific Admiral\'s Edition\\SAVE\\archive'
side='a'
startIntervalDate='11/28/2015 12:44 AM'
watchIntervalSecs=60
witpDir='F:\\Matrix Games\\War in the Pacific Admiral\'s Edition'

I'll be back
bretg80

Post by bretg80 »

ORIGINAL: scout1

Bret,

Doesn't some of the additional information you might seek for additional features exist as DOS outputs from michaelm
extraction tool ? I've used these to extract data files I could suck into Excel to track things in the past ....
Or am I oversimplifying ?

I am not familiar with this tool, can you point me to it.

Bret
I'll be back
scout1

Post by scout1 »

tm.asp?m=2457260&mpage=1&key=witploadae&#2457505 (from website search feature)

I used witpload for the original game which appears to have been updated somehow for AE ... Is a DOS based tool which extracts a bunch of info which I sucked into Excel for this and that reason .....
michaelm is the author ........
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

DanSez

Post by DanSez »

Big fan of your program. Thanks so much for the tool. I also use it every turn in my PBEM games.

It maybe outside the scope of your work but something I would like to see/ use as the IJA lacks so much intel, a program that would track combat reports by targeting unit IDs with dates and locations and maybe results so you can click on and find all the times you have a contact with 1st Marine Divison or CV Enterprise or VF-103.

Yes, FOW creates mis-identifications, but to have all the contacts named 'BB North Carolina', even if it included the multiple time reported sunk, would be great.

<<edit>>
just thought if you had a 'search' capability within the existing tool format so that if I load up all combat reports from Jan/Feb/Mar of 1943 and type in '1st Marine' - that I would get a higlight on the Date, click on that and follow the highlight to the particular report that I am looking for.

A lot of work I am sure. I would be glad to buy you dinner somewhere nice :)
The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”