Using mouse with two monitors in full screen problem

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Slick91

Using mouse with two monitors in full screen problem

Post by Slick91 »

I just installed and patched WITP:AE on a Windows 10 Laptop that is using a 19” LCD monitor. Game seems to run fine at this point.

I have the game displaying on the 19” in full screen and have the game manual PDF file displayed on the laptop screen. My problem is that the mouse pointer will not move between the two screens if the game is running in full screen (the mouse stays inside the 19" LCD screen). I can move between them if the game runs in windowed mode, but I’d like to take full advantage of the 19” display.

Is anyone else having this same problem and/or is there any known workaround other than windowed mode?
Slick
-----------------------------
"Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne
witpqs

RE: Using mouse with two monitors in full screen problem

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Slick91

I just installed and patched WITP:AE on a Windows 10 Laptop that is using a 19” LCD monitor. Game seems to run fine at this point.

I have the game displaying on the 19” in full screen and have the game manual PDF file displayed on the laptop screen. My problem is that the mouse pointer will not move between the two screens if the game is running in full screen (the mouse stays inside the 19" LCD screen). I can move between them if the game runs in windowed mode, but I’d like to take full advantage of the 19” display.

Is anyone else having this same problem and/or is there any known workaround other than windowed mode?
The way that I understand it, the point of full-screen mode is to use the full screen. So, if you want that size to be smaller than the full (physical) screen and you want to move the mouse outside of it, that is what you use windowed mode for.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Yep, you need to run in window mode if you want to move the mouse between screens. You can run at your maximum resolution, but somebody else (was it witpqs?) will have to help you with the "always remain on top" stuff you need to do to make sure it is displayed over the top of your taskbar (Start Menu) instead of having that cut off the bottom part of the window.

Or you can run in a resolution slightly smaller than your full screen resolution.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Yep, you need to run in window mode if you want to move the mouse between screens. You can run at your maximum resolution, but somebody else (was it witpqs?) will have to help you with the "always remain on top" stuff you need to do to make sure it is displayed over the top of your taskbar (Start Menu) instead of having that cut off the bottom part of the window.

Or you can run in a resolution slightly smaller than your full screen resolution.
This is what I do, so I can click on other applications and go back and forth very easily.

Note that I only have one monitor. You might not have to do that to move the mouse over to the other monitor.
Slick91

Post by Slick91 »

Thanks everyone for the fast replies. I'll play around with the resolution and settings as suggested.

Have a wonderful wargamer's holiday!!!
Slick
-----------------------------
"Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne
David Clark

Post by David Clark »

As an alternative, you may consider an application called Borderless-Gaming, which will do exactly what you want - set up a full screen program to run in 'Windowed Full Screen' mode. I haven't tried it with WitP, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

You can download it for free from the github page:

Github - Borderless-Gaming

or if you prefer to spend money for the Steam experience, you can get it from steam:

Steam - Borderless-Gaming

The steam page has a nice quick video overview of the software.

Good luck.

Return to “Tech Support”