Axis Super Heavy Arty

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Mehring

Axis Super Heavy Arty

Post by Mehring »

Lost a few 305s and 240 siege guns, they have never been replaced in a long time, even when assigned to OKH. Non-siege 240mm guns were replaced. Is it something with the super heavy category?
“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky
morvael

RE: Axis Super Heavy Arty

Post by morvael »

240 siege has double the cost of 240 heavy. Probably want/have is low and the game wants to spend your ARM on something elese. On the other hand there is special "build what looks like is needed" procedure (separate from replacements procedure) and it should build those guns. Will check my AI vs AI games, what happened there.
Mehring

Post by Mehring »

My 240 siege battalion has lost two guns which puts it at 66% ToE. Must have lost 4 or 5 305s between the 3 battalions. Arms production doesn't seem to be a problem, pool never zeroed.
-Leon Trotsky
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

The big guns are set to no production, the largest buildable seem to be the soviet 280mm siege gun and the axis 240mm howitzers, the latter are not super-heavy though so no replacements.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
morvael

Post by morvael »

Just found it in the data as well. The question is whether they were not built because they were not lost or just because there was no money/resources for it again?
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

Most of the super heavy guns for small run items that they never built more of, In fact I think many were captured weapon systems and in general ammunition became very scarce after 1942 and even then it was limited.

Reading up on the siege at sevastopol it talks about the limited munitions for all of the heavy siege guns. Probably the interesting thing when you read about the actual siege is that basically it was felt the seige guns were less useful than 88mm AA guns and divisional artillery. As the AA guns and divisional artillery was protable enough to be moved up for close range and direct fire support against bunkers and entrenched positions.

Is even some debate if the big rail gun ever did anything worthwhile during the siege as the researcher I was reading pointed out that the evidence it even hit the ammo bunker is debatable and it more probably was destroyed by an air strike or some other cause.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

AFAIR none/not many were lost until late in the war + too much effort to rebuild them. Their only use was to attack heavy fortfications from far away, they were almost useless on a dynamic battlefield.
Many of these earlier guns used barrels from scrapped old warships.
morvael

Post by morvael »

I guess they might be lost in WitE way way easier than IRL. Therefore they should be re-buildable. But it's your call.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Almost no super-heavy guns were built in WW2 with exception of some monster and railway guns in Germany (Axis/Soviet, don't know about Allies). Even the soviet 280mm siege gun was not produced after 1940 (which I have disabled now).
morvael

Post by morvael »

I think I will have to add no retreat losses for super heavy guns and great damage repair. So they could be lost only by fire in combat.
Mehring

Post by Mehring »

ORIGINAL: morvael

I think I will have to add no retreat losses for super heavy guns and great damage repair. So they could be lost only by fire in combat.
Sounds like a fair solution.
-Leon Trotsky

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”