TV for Monitor

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

demyansk

TV for Monitor

Post by demyansk »

I am going to get a free LG 32" tv monitor, might sound crazy, can you use this monitor for gaming?

Just curious
rhondabrwn

RE: TV for Monitor

Post by rhondabrwn »

I would be interested in knowing this as well. I've assumed there would be problems with the game scaling up properly for the larger screen.

Inter-connectivity sure has been improving over the years so I won't be surprised if it you can use a TV as your desktop monitor without any special connectors.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Ill see what happens but 32 might be to large
budd

Post by budd »

i hook my laptop up to my 46 inch hd TV, works fine.Enjoy.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

I use a 32" flat screen for my monitor with no issues.
Check to see that the TV and computer are HDMI capable or that your TV has VGA and you can cable it in.

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I use a 39 inch or 42 inch TV and I have never had issues with scaling. It was pretty cool when I upgraded. And especially for wargames, it should work just fine, if you ask me.

Just make sure it is 1080 and has a 120 refresh rate. That's not absolutely needed, but it helps.

I've been thinking of getting a 50 inch for my monitor.

And I did it several years ago, too. About 3 I think. And I got a cheap brand and it has never failed me. Insignia.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Gotta try this! Would be great for flight simming :)
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I found the model of the TV. It an LG 32LB5600

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-32LB5600-led-tv

It looks like it should work for the computer. I might try to use and just place on the wall in front of me.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: demjansk

I am going to get a free LG 32" tv monitor, might sound crazy, can you use this monitor for gaming?

Just curious

Yes you can.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

I just realized I can connect my laptop and my tv with that Bluetooth thing. If only I knew why I should [:D]
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Has anyone connected a Fire HDX directly to a tv? I tried once, didn't work.
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

The Kindle Fire HDX does not have the mini-HDMI connection that the earlier versions had so there is no direct way to cable the HDX to a TV. I just use an Amazon Fire Stick now. Its simple and easy and can be registered to your Amazon account. You can also use it to access Netflix, Hulu, etc... (costs 40$USD).
No problem Chief!
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

What do u mean by a mini? It's crazy it won't work, they sell a adapter on Amazon?
barkhorn45

Post by barkhorn45 »

I hook my laptop up to my 55 inch tv and dc-3 look's real nice!
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

demjansk, Sorry I did not respond sooner, been real busy. If you have the 8.9" kindle or the newer 7" it has only a power connection for the charger. If you have the 1st gen, smaller 7" model, it has two ports for connecting cables, one for power charger and the other is for the mini-HDMI connection. See photo, bigger end plugs into TV, mini-connector into kindle.

If you do not have two ports for cable connections, I would recommend the Amazon Fire Stick as a solution. Just $40USD, no monthly subscription for using it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZVJAF9G?tag ... iwvxprie_b

Attachments
hdmi431xx.jpg
hdmi431xx.jpg (11.9 KiB) Viewed 257 times
No problem Chief!
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Thanks for the info, I have the small port on left which opens up the connection to recharge the unit. It's the 8.9 version

I have a ps3 now
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

TV's are generally set to overscan the image by default so PC desktops will run off the screen edges. So you need to go into the TV's settings menus (usually advanced settings) and turn off overscan. The problem is they don't all use the same terminology. I just bought a 65" LG 4k HDTV and it took me almost an entire day using trial and error to figure out how to turn off overscan to get it to work with the PC.

Problem is now that it is hooked up to the PC, the TV no longer works (worked fine before) and the TV fails to detect the HDMI cable in HDMI3 that it had detected before I plugged the PC into HDMI1. So now I have my PC working but no TV...

I'm sure it'll take me a day or two to figure this out too, the manuals that come with TVs these days are ridiculously short and lack any specific detailed instruction.

Jim
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

TV's are generally set to overscan the image by default so PC descktops will run off the screen edges. So you need to go into the TV's settings menus (usually advanced settings) and turn off overscan. The problem is they don't all use the same terminology. I just bought a 65" LG 4k HDTV and it took me almost an entire day using trial and error to figure out how to turn off overscan to get it to work with the PC.

Problem is now that it is hooked up to the PC, the TV no longer works (worked fine before) and the TV fails to detect the HDMI cable in HDMI3 that it had detected before I plugged the PC into HDMI1. So now I have my PC working but no TV...

I'm sure it'll take me a day or two to figure this out too, the manuals that come with TVs these days are ridiculously short and lack any specific detailed instruction.

Jim

Clearer, directions are needed I agree. It would be even better if they had that all worked out beforehand. So when you wanted to plug in the computer things would be a simple "plug-in-hole" computer works; pull plug out TV works.
mmogah

Post by mmogah »

the 32" is OK, I feel comfortable.[8D]
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

This technology is a pain, just make things compatible.

Return to “General Discussion”