Can someone explain what the unit power number reflects?

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

mantrain

Can someone explain what the unit power number reflects?

Post by mantrain »

Not sure this number is explained in the manual or I could not find it explained. This is the number you find in larger type setting directly underneath the Nato insignia. Interesting when you view a unit's relative factors, like supply, integrity etc, the power value is not found where all the other values are. I wonder if it is something like hit-points.
stonestriker

RE: Can someone explain what the unit power number reflects?

Post by stonestriker »

It indicates the size of the unit and have no relation to supply, equipment, morale, attack factors, etc. Of course it can be used as a pretty good indicator of the units ability to fight, as there is generally a correlation between size and combat prowess :)
DC3 Bug Spotters Gold Logie award
gunnergoz

Post by gunnergoz »

Historically, size of a unit does not always correlate to fighting power due to those same factors mentioned above, i.e. supply, equipment, morale - to which I'll add readiness, leadership, doctrine etc. It would be an improvement if we could show even a rough rounded combat value (just as we do the stacking value) for each unit and stack as one key stroke option along with the other display options.
"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying
stonestriker

Post by stonestriker »

ORIGINAL: gunnergoz

Historically, size of a unit does not always correlate to fighting power due to those same factors mentioned above, i.e. supply, equipment, morale - to which I'll add readiness, leadership, doctrine etc. It would be an improvement if we could show even a rough rounded combat value (just as we do the stacking value) for each unit and stack as one key stroke option along with the other display options.

Hence, why I wrote generally. Combat effectiveness is highly specific to a given situation and the units involved in a combat, so a generic combat value would be hard to use effectively, as I see it. A dug-in infantry in a forest hex defending against tanks would be much more effective than when they are attacking in open plains against infantry.

But perhaps I am misunderstanding something about the concept of combat value?
DC3 Bug Spotters Gold Logie award
mekjak

Post by mekjak »

It represents the number of elements in that particular unit. For example, infantry is divided into blocks of 200 and guns into blocks of 10, so a typical German infantry division is 50 infantry blocks (10000 men) plus 18 gun blocks (180 guns) and that gives you a power rating of 68. It's just a quick way to eyeball the rough size/power of a unit and doesn't necessarily indicate how well it will do in actual combat.
gunnergoz

Post by gunnergoz »

That being the case, it is actually better referred to as a unit size description rather than a unit power description. It really says little about combat power. It is like saying "my car has a 400 HP engine and is very fast" ignoring (for example) that the car is up on blocks now so the HP delivered to the road is zero.
"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying
alex0809

Post by alex0809 »

- Wrong thread -
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

I'm also uncertain on this.
An unambiguous description by the designers would be helpfull.
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi,

The Power Rating is a consolidated combat value that adjust straight combat power by readiness, experience and morale.

It allows you to compare units on a roughly equivalent basis.

Before initiating combat it's sometimes a good idea to press '1' to show the power ratings and check what you're up against. Press '2' to return to normal.

You can see it displayed in the Unit Info Display (bottom) under the 'Unit Details' tab at the top of the 'Stats' section.

Cheers,
Cameron
mekjak

Post by mekjak »

ORIGINAL: lancer

Hi,

The Power Rating is a consolidated combat value that adjust straight combat power by readiness, experience and morale.

It allows you to compare units on a roughly equivalent basis.

Before initiating combat it's sometimes a good idea to press '1' to show the power ratings and check what you're up against. Press '2' to return to normal.

You can see it displayed in the Unit Info Display (bottom) under the 'Unit Details' tab at the top of the 'Stats' section.

Cheers,
Cameron

It's a straight count of how many elements are in the unit, the same as it's always been in the Decisive Campaigns series. It does not take into account any other factors such as readiness or experience. I went into the game and calculated a bunch of the power ratings myself just to be sure.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”