An undo move key is needed

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

mantrain

An undo move key is needed

Post by mantrain »

Most games have this. Wite has it. If a player inadvertently clicks and incorrect key the results can be devastating, especially for those who are just getting use to the interface. Rather suprised this function is not integrated into the interface.
gunnergoz

RE: An undo move key is needed

Post by gunnergoz »

An undo key is nice to have but what about those times when the move reveals intelligence about enemy units. You can't undo that once it is revealed. And if you fail to turn up enemy units, that is a form of intelligence itself. So the undo does not fit a serious wargame like this IMO.
"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

yes I think Wite does not allow an undo move where intelligence was gathered.
stonestriker

Post by stonestriker »

I agree that an undo move COULD be acceptable if a unit moves behind the lines, but as each unit provides recon points for every hex in 3(4?) hexes then most unit movements will provide intelligence, even if marginal.
DC3 Bug Spotters Gold Logie award
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Not needed IMHO. If you make a mistake, live with it and move on.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Agreed
ORIGINAL: elmo3

Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Having the option of being able to undo a mistake is generally good. Whoever wants to play in "Ironman mode" will simply not use it.

Of course, the implementation of an undo option is not easy due to FOW issues (specially, I guess in a competitive PBEM, which I do not do)

Regards
Former AJE team member
Delaware

Post by Delaware »

generally, I would agree that suck it up and move on if you make a mistake. Thing is this interface makes it very easy to inadvertently move a wrong unit. when you click on a unit to move, it enters a "MOVEMENT MODE" and the only way to exit that mode is the click the back arrow on the interface. Not very intuitive. In many games, you have to right click to move, which is a good safeguard. Here, left clicking, selecting the move key, and moving does not take you out of move mode. So many times, I have positioned a unit to attack, want to position another to increase the concentric %, and end up moving the first unit back to another hex. By then, the APs are gone. Not very realistic, I say.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

You can cancel move mode by hitting spacebar. Very easy once you get the hang of it.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Delaware

Post by Delaware »

You can cancel move mode by hitting spacebar. Very easy once you get the hang of it.
I can also cancel move mode by clicking the back arrow. The point of most of these posts is not that the game doesn't have the mechanism for cancelling a move, it is that they aren't that intuitive, and the player pays a penalty because of the lack of an "undo move" action.
willgamer

Post by willgamer »

ORIGINAL: Delaware

generally, I would agree that suck it up and move on if you make a mistake. Thing is this interface makes it very easy to inadvertently move a wrong unit. when you click on a unit to move, it enters a "MOVEMENT MODE" and the only way to exit that mode is the click the back arrow on the interface. Not very intuitive. In many games, you have to right click to move, which is a good safeguard. Here, left clicking, selecting the move key, and moving does not take you out of move mode. So many times, I have positioned a unit to attack, want to position another to increase the concentric %, and end up moving the first unit back to another hex. By then, the APs are gone. Not very realistic, I say.

There are few cases where a move fails to reveal new info in one way or another, so I agree with having to live with it only because "the bell has been rung!" and I can't see how it could be fixed.
Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

ORIGINAL: Webizen

Agreed

Agree. Not just this game, but all games [:)]
To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

An undo move button is problematic in any game that uses fog of war.

Having said that, mistakes are relatively easy to make.

I suppose one way to guard against it would be to have a confirm move button that you would have to click on before any move was executed. But that would effectively double the number of clicks you have to make in the game. It would slow things down a lot, and make my carpel tunnel considerably worse.

The other thing that could be done, though it wouldn't really help much, would be to add a more clearly marked deselect button. Most of my ham-fisted mishaps have occured when I clicked on something and didn't realize that a unit was still selected. But this would only prevent a small handful of problems from occurring. I think it would be far better to just remember to think before you click.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Webizen

Agreed

Yep
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

Agreed.
Plan wisely and execute cautious. If you don't, then pay the price!
Dave25210

Post by Dave25210 »

older thread. but...
...I agree with the all arguments for and against the UNDO action, however, other similar great games
do have an option to undo mistake caused action, unless the enemy intelligence is revealed.

If no undo move, then I'd wish to see secondary movement action confirmation as safeguard (because in DC: Barbarossa interface
its really easy to overlook and wrongly click), maybe as selectable feature in preferences. Someone
mentioned it would double amount of clicks, but if selectable by player, why not.
Great game though.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”